Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    OK, if I'm reading correctly then this route doesn't go up Tom's Thumb and you repeat Windgate at the end?
    Correct. Last time I did it it was the gnarbypass with Toms thumb and it was a biznatch. Should be easier this year without TT. Dixie mine is a long time on the backside.
    JRA

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    OK, if I'm reading correctly then this route doesn't go up Tom's Thumb and you repeat Windgate at the end?
    Correct...up and over Windgate from the east to finish...no TT on the Quad route.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

Shred...it's the new drug
    I've got it on my Calendar...that's the first step. Second step is to train a bit. 3rd step...don't be such a pansy and do it

mtbr member
    Thanks, Walt! I'm in for this one! More than likely on my FS geared bike, but maybe on the SS if I am feeling brave!

Is there somewhere else to RSVP or does this count? :-)
    -boom

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
    Thanks, Walt! I'm in for this one! More than likely on my FS geared bike, but maybe on the SS if I am feeling brave!

Is there somewhere else to RSVP or does this count? :-)
    This counts...gotcha! Punishing SS ride...

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    in!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    In for this. Looking forward to doing the quad as an event. Hopefully we'll get better weather and trail conditions than we received for the McDowell 60.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It would be nice to go and meet new people since im new to AZ anyway. But have to work that saturday maybe I'll take off.

Dave
    Im in again. Last year I did the Big double, this year I'll try the whole thing again. What the hell. De with you have banana's and Jack at the sag stop? If not I'll have to bring my own Jack daniels
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech View Post
    Correct. Last time I did it it was the gnarbypass with Toms thumb and it was a biznatch. Should be easier this year without TT. Dixie mine is a long time on the backside.
    Uphill on Tom's Thumb is ridiculous... but downhill would be delicious.

Pivotal figure
    Did the TT descent today, crazy fast up top! It's much more enjoyable on a weekday, didn't see anybody until I reached the lower portion of gateway.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Was hoping to knock off the quad this year, but ripped my shoulder up climbing over Thanksgiving (it's always something). Best I might be able to manage would be something less now; maybe the big double, or just do the ride to Sunset and call it a day.

In any case, I was wondering what the "approved" route (if there is one) is to go from the Sunset Trailhead up through Hidden Hills now to connect to the back (east) side. Do people just sort of bust over the gate and ride up the hill, or is there an alternative that goes around?

Thanks if anyone can help!

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelmonkey View Post
    Was hoping to knock off the quad this year, but ripped my shoulder up climbing over Thanksgiving (it's always something). Best I might be able to manage would be something less now; maybe the big double, or just do the ride to Sunset and call it a day.

In any case, I was wondering what the "approved" route (if there is one) is to go from the Sunset Trailhead up through Hidden Hills now to connect to the back (east) side. Do people just sort of bust over the gate and ride up the hill, or is there an alternative that goes around?

Thanks if anyone can help!
    Too bad, but at least you can still ride!! I'm off the bike til mid-late April after shoulder surgery on Dec. 12...mountain bike crash...

Definitely come and just do the initial Double (Windgate, Bell), or Triple (Sunrise), then bail at the bottom of Sunrise.

Regarding HH, there's an alternative route that goes under Via Linda, then sort of HAB out of the wash on the other side, into that other neighborhood, then connect to the dirt road from there...I'll spell that out after I poach the directions from the AES McDowell 60 thread. Alternatively, one can always just bust the gate and ride up the road for a few mins...but of course, that is frowned upon...yep, definitely, of course, you know...

And since Deanna and I are not riding, with me off the bike, and she not even back on yet after thumb surgery, we'll have nice goodies at the start, the bottom of Sunrise, and the finish. Jack may very well be included in there, for anyone that needs to take the edge off after Sunrise!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Too bad, but at least you can still ride!! I'm off the bike til mid-late April after shoulder surgery on Dec. 12...mountain bike crash...
    Bummer on surgery! I'm hoping to avoid it... jury sort of still out, but I might be okay and able to ride. Make sure you do your stretching and PT exercises religiously!

Reposting this from last year in case anyone needs graphic reminder... bear in mind the Hidden Hollow portion of the ride is no longer viable since the d-bags figured out how to get us ejected.

If you want to download a version you can print, click here:
    http://www.steelmonkeyaz.net/webstuff/QuadBypassMap.pdf

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Lets do it man!!! What is the date?

Dave
    What is the date? Its on the 1st page
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelmonkey View Post
    Bummer on surgery! I'm hoping to avoid it... jury sort of still out, but I might be okay and able to ride. Make sure you do your stretching and PT exercises religiously!

Reposting this from last year in case anyone needs graphic reminder... bear in mind the Hidden Hollow portion of the ride is no longer viable since the d-bags figured out how to get us ejected.

If you want to download a version you can print, click here:
    http://www.steelmonkeyaz.net/webstuff/QuadBypassMap.pdf
    BTW, awesome MAP ! This is the only one that make any sense.
    Did you make this?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    BTW, awesome MAP ! This is the only one that make any sense.
    Did you make this?
    Yes, he did...many thanks to SteelMonkey!!

Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks Latedrop, Glad I asked you.......................

mtbr member
    I'm in.. and looking forward to being punished for it!!!!.... not sure if i will be on a 2x10, 650B SS.... or the 29er SS... I'll have to go ride it once or twice to see... I'll see who else i can shame into coming along..

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast View Post
    De with you have banana's and Jack at the sag stop? If not I'll have to bring my own Jack daniels
    Just saw this! OOoh, now that brings back memories! I can supply the bananas, you're on your own for the JD!
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3