wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Saturday:Trails are excellent, desert ready to 'pop'

The desert is starting to show color, on the north side of the Santa Catalina Mountains. We rode up into the National forest, via Middlegate. BIG THANKS to whoever REMOVED the cheater 'go around' in the first section after the initial entry to the trail. (The sanitizing has to stop!!!)

The CDO wash is flowing!!!
    Saturday:Trails are excellent, desert ready to 'pop'-img_7493_mtbr.jpg

There was water flowing in the streams up in the hills and on Middlegate.
    Saturday:Trails are excellent, desert ready to 'pop'-img_7430_mtbr.jpg

This was too much fun and had to be ridden multiple times.
    Saturday:Trails are excellent, desert ready to 'pop'-img_7423_mtbr.jpg

The singletrack was in excellent condition and it brought out the smiles.
    Saturday:Trails are excellent, desert ready to 'pop'-img_7397_mtbr.jpg

Poppy fields were starting to bloom, with the hints of yellow and green all over the valley portending beauty to follow…
    Saturday:Trails are excellent, desert ready to 'pop'-img_7319_mtbr.jpg

Heading out later today, if I get guest work completed and beat the arrival of the rain.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Hey CJ - Thanks for the pre-Spring stokage. You've always been an inspiration with regards to desert nature photography and I always look forward to the first set of full blooms of Spring that you offer.

Looking forward to it ....
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

First flowers…

Quote Originally Posted by zul
    Hey CJ - Thanks for the pre-Spring stokage. You've always been an inspiration with regards to desert nature photography and I always look forward to the first set of full blooms of Spring that you offer.

Looking forward to it ....
    The rain arrived before my work was completed, so I didn't make it out to photograph the first poppies and brittlebush in bloom. However, here are photos of the first prominent wildflowers that are blooming all over the National forest at the 'middlegate/deer camp' level.

These particular species are very indicitive of true southwestern specialties. They tend to only appear from this region and over into portions of southern California.

Cream Cups Poppy, Platystemon californicus, Poppy Family ( Papaveraceae ) These flowers are widespread, right now. They rise on a 6-8 inch stalk. In the middlegate area, they are starting to cover the hillside.
    Saturday:Trails are excellent, desert ready to 'pop'-img_7417-version-2.jpg

Red Maids, Calandrinias ciliata Portulaca Family (Portulacaceae)This flower is the tiny one you see along damp spillways and washes.
    Saturday:Trails are excellent, desert ready to 'pop'-img_7447-version-2.jpg
    Last edited by C.J.; 03-07-2010 at 07:21 PM.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    the cactii are so bright they remind me of those lime-flavored twin-popcicles.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The pictures are EXCELLENT!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

"No Clue Crew"
    Awesome shots ! really makes me want to leave work early today ! Thanks for sharing.

How do I do that?
    Beautiful pictures CJ! Being a newbie with a several months of riding under me, I never realized how spring is like out on the trails. I can't believe the difference Can't wait to enjoy some of these views soon

As a fellow Rize 3 owner, I was paying extra attention to your bike and noticed you don't have a brake lever on the left side, did you mount them both on the right side? I don't think I've ever seen that before. Is there an advantage or a just a personal preference?

Thanks for posting the pics

-Chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    his lefty is a righty!

Great pics cj, hope you are getting lots of use of that train out your back yard. I too always get excited to see you have posted some of your pics on here.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Thanks zul, Jayem, cenobite and longhair!

Tuff - messed up my wrist, so I run both brakes and shifters on the right side, as ttocs said, "my lefty is all righty!" No advantage or disadvantage, just the way I ride…

ttocs - a lot of traffic heading out of the 'yard trail' lately. We have a group of six B&B guests that are all riders, (masters champs of NJ) that ride EVERY day. Two rentals go out today, then I'm going to go and get more photos!!!! Come visit, soon!!!
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Tucson, AZ
    Wonder how the flow is up on Baby J and CP. I was there last week and we those small stream crossing were flowing pretty good.

Sweet pictures.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Getting better, better all the time…

Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Wonder how the flow is up on Baby J and CP. I was there last week and we those small stream crossing were flowing pretty good.

Sweet pictures.
    I didn't go up that far,today,but on middlegate all the usuals were flowing and there was quite a lot of little ones flowing, too. More of the perennials were starting to bloom, but the annuals are going to need a little blast of sun to get them to open. Anemones and allkinds of mustards are poised for a great show.

These are starting to show all over the hill. Another few days and the colors should really be starting to glow. I'm going to try to get up there each day and get more shots. The tiny white and yellow composites are staring to bloom. The anemones have buds, but not quite ready, yet.

Pink Fairy Duster Calliandra eriophylla are beginning the big show…
    Saturday:Trails are excellent, desert ready to 'pop'-img_7528.jpg
    Last edited by C.J.; 03-09-2010 at 02:56 PM.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.
    Tuff - messed up my wrist, so I run both brakes and shifters on the right side, as ttocs said, "my lefty is all righty!" No advantage or disadvantage, just the way I ride…
    Ouch, sorry to hear about the wrist. Very cool to see how you adapted your bike to allow yourself to keep riding It didn't even occur to me that the shifter was on the left as well, it's amazing how you can modulate the front/rear brakes with the levers side by side like that I'd be wiping out and doing endo's all day..

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    Ouch, sorry to hear about the wrist. Very cool to see how you adapted your bike to allow yourself to keep riding It didn't even occur to me that the shifter was on the left as well, it's amazing how you can modulate the front/rear brakes with the levers side by side like that I'd be wiping out and doing endo's all day..
    You'd adapt in a short time!

Middlegate: Here's a shot looking out over the valley, to Samaniego Ridge.
    Saturday:Trails are excellent, desert ready to 'pop'-img_7512.jpg

The saguaros (Carnegiea gigantea) are showing the 'pre-spring' growth white on the ends, and the ocotillo (Fouquieria splendens) on the right is just starting to bloom. It is going to be a glorious spring!!!
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    unfortunatly it will be a long time before I make it back my friend. I ended up loosing my job because of the digestive issues that have taken over my life. When it was gone I move back to the midwest to be closer to family and friends that could help me out. Your posts and pics are one of the only reasons I still lurk around here as they make me remember the fun I had out there. Enjoy it while you can, you never know when or how it will end as I have only been on one trail in the last 2 yrs because of this now.....

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ttocs
    Enjoy it while you can, you never know when or how it will end.....
    I think about it each and every day.

We're lucky to be where we are and who knows how long it will last. We try to share what we have, because we know it is a special privilege to be here. We've put out many 'open invitations' to people, but, there is almost never any response.

I'm sorry to hear about what has happened with you. We enjoyed your company when you visited. Wherever we end up in the future, you will always be welcomed with an open door…
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    you guys really need to take CJ up on these open invitations, it is worth the trip down from phoenix and if you are local to tucson you have no excuse. I had only met him a couple of times and after an afternoon with him and his family I now call him a friend. His house/compound really is an amazing place to sit and enjoy and a a wonderfull place to stay the night or stage a ride. His house is filled with is hi-rez pics and that is only if you can pull yourself away from the windows that he took the pictures out of.......

I hope to make it back someday but alot will have to change for that to happen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for posting the pictures CJ. They keep me going on cold days back here in NJ. I really enjoyed our visit with you and the paradise in which you ride. I was a little sad to leave, even tried to get bumped off my flight to stay longer. Enjoy the flowers and keep the pictures coming.

Members who have read this thread: 0