Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sat 10/6 SoMo ride - A-ride/C-ride version

3K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  bike=good 
#1 ·
I have limited time this saturday, so I can only do about an hour.

I'm thinking of doing a c-ride up desert classic from Pima Canyon.

Bob, Mike, Mike, Jason etc...one of you want to host the usual A-ride up national?

Meet at the north ramada at 7am, FIP at 730...

-JB

#4 ·
gotta work saturday morning.

desert classic on saturdays is a zoo! lots of hikers, runners and idiots who don't yield to folk going uphill. (happened to me twice last saturday. one of the morons had the gull to say he had the right of way :madmax: ) rant over.

maybe la próxima vez.

#5 ·
pwrtrainer said:
landons in vegas this weekend and i owe the girlfriend a day for just her on sat. sunday im up for a few miles
I'll ride with you sunday too if you're up for it.

I'm moving this weekend and all next week, but my garage floors will be drying over the weekend (having them epoxy coated) so I can't do too much moving until they dry...

#8 ·
chongoman said:
oops.. I forgot sat is the 1st BCT day. I need to head up there if I can this weekend. See you next time!
I too am doing the BCT trail build day then heading to Flag to catch a beer or two at the Fat Tire festival and do one last sweet Flag ride for the season on Sunday. Fall is in full swing now with so much to do and so little time. Will catch the crowd at SoMo another weekend!

#10 ·
A, B, and C generally describe a combination of the pace, length and technicality of a ride. 'A' is more demanding, 'C' is less 'demanding'. It is a VERY loose system and people's definitions vary greatly.

In this case, CactusJoe's ride will likely be a social pace over non-technical terrain ('cept for that sweet, sweet DH on DC <-- joke).
The other ride that may materialize is much more technical, however the pace will likely not be too high. So, it could probably be considered a solid 'B' ride due to the technical nature.

#14 ·
ride ratings

yeah, what bike=good said. i'll add my 2¢

A= expert folk who like technical trails and/or epic rides on technical trails like: national/geronimo, pass mtn, goat camp and such. since i'm not an A rider, i don't know about their pace, but i imagine it's intense.

B= intermediate riders who can do some technical trails like javalina, mine trail at hawes, some t-100 offshoots and such. they ride fast but are social too.

C= riders from beginners to intermediate who do not ride technical trails. these include desert classic, papago, t-100, usery park, mcdowell (all loops) and some trails of pima & dynamite. the pace is casual and social.

ms k

#16 ·
2equis said:
I'm assuming the c-ride doing the full 18 miles on DC?
Maybe, depends on how the group feels and who shows up. The full 18 miles might be challenging for some expecting a C-ride. Like Mike (bike=good) said, it's a loose definition. I only have about an hour or maybe 2, so that will dictate how far I go, but that's not stopping anyone who wants to do the full 18 miles, or maybe up to the helipad. Just depends. When we meet at the ramada we can discuss and go from there.

Just for reference when I do a "C"-ride, it's just to get on the bike, have fun, explore new lines or trails, and stay generally comfortable. I'm not training or trying to abuse myself.

#18 ·
CactusJoe said:
I have limited time this saturday, so I can only do about an hour.

I'm thinking of doing a c-ride up desert classic from Pima Canyon.

Bob, Mike, Mike, Jason etc...one of you want to host the usual A-ride up national?

Meet at the north ramada at 7am, FIP at 730...

-JB
I live in Gilbert and have never ridden desert classic. Can you provide me more information on where it is locate and where you guys will be meeting up? I'm in for Saturday morning.

Senor Slacker

#19 ·
SenorSlacker said:
I live in Gilbert and have never ridden desert classic. Can you provide me more information on where it is locate and where you guys will be meeting up? I'm in for Saturday morning.

Senor Slacker
plug this into google maps:

e pima canyon road, phoenix az

And take pima canyon rd to the west end. There are 2 ramadas, we'll be at the north ramada at 7am. See you there.

-JB

#21 ·
AZDesertRat said:
Another newbie question: What is "FIP" (as in, "FIP at 7:30")?
Feet In Pedals. Basically the OP, or ride leader wants to be rolling at the time listed. If you don't put FIP and a time, people will show up at the time you intended to start, and still need to get their shoes on, air up tires,, and all the small stuff that kills time.

#22 ·
kevhogaz said:
Feet In Pedals. Basically the OP, or ride leader wants to be rolling at the time listed. If you don't put FIP and a time, people will show up at the time you intended to start, and still need to get their shoes on, air up tires,, and all the small stuff that kills time.
Thanks. I'm waiting on a friend to let me know if we're going to do the McDowell race loops tomorrow. If not, I think I'm going to try to make it out there to meet you guys. To be honest, I'm getting a little bored with SoMo only because I don't know where all to go. I know there are tons of trails out there, but I'm always alone so I'm a bit apprehensive about taking off in some direction that I have no idea where it leads. I really only know Mormon/National and DC. Mormon/National is a bit too technical for me (though I continue to try occasionally - and I'm working on getting better, so it isn't like I don't *want* to ride those trails) and, not to take anything away from DC - it's definitely a cool trail, DC is a little on the easier side. I sort of alternate between the two trails (though I have yet to do all of DC), but I'd like to find something that is somewhere in between the two as far as difficulty is concerned. Someone on here described the McDowell loops as being just that so I'm hoping to get out there soon.

I have a week-old son so, provided I'm not going to the race loops tomorrow, and I can get him fed and back to sleep by the time I'd have to leave (mom takes over after the early morning feeding - I'm on night shift ;)), I hope to meet some of you tomorrow.

#23 ·
AZDesertRat said:
I really only know Mormon/National and DC. Mormon/National is a bit too technical for me (though I continue to try occasionally - and I'm working on getting better, so it isn't like I don't *want* to ride those trails) and, not to take anything away from DC - it's definitely a cool trail, DC is a little on the easier side. I sort of alternate between the two trails (though I have yet to do all of DC), but I'd like to find something that is somewhere in between the two as far as difficulty is concerned.
You need to ride the East/West/Javelina/Beverly Canyon trails out at SoMo, these will defintely fit that in between niche you're looking for. I'm not able to ride tomorrow but next time I ride I'll post up and let you know.

#25 ·
I just got back from riding a few miles of DC. Second time I have ridden that trail and the first time was about 3 years ago. I had heard so many horror stories about the DC crowds. I was always reluctant to ride there. Started around 1:00pm and while there was some riders and hikers. Really was not that bad. All except one hiker waved or said hello. For me I think DC would be a blast at night. Riding solo and having the diabetes and breathing issue act up. I turned around before making my goal of reaching the water tank. Popped a Jolly Rancher and the run back was not as tough on me. So I could have pushed on a little more if I had known.

Maybe next weekend I'll make it to the tank. Ever see a fat guy on a black El Rey say hello.

#26 ·
Dang, I arrived at about 7:15 and everyone was gone. I started down DC, but I have never ridden the trail and did was riding alone so I turned around, hoped into the car and went down to my regular stoppin grounds over at Usery. Next time, I'll tell the wife to leave me alone so that I can make it on time.

Senor Slacker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.