We de MAMMY NUNS!

Saris Thelma Hitch Rack?

Does anyone have any experience using this product to carry mt. bikes?
    I've nothing to add....

wrecking crew
    Cool YouTube demo of it....

Saris Thelma Bike Carrier Demonstrated by Rack Outfitters
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOdDiVfs4wg
    ~~~

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I don't recommend it...

I had a Sportworks (now Thule T2) for a while and loved it but sold it b/c I thought I should get 1 1/4" rack to fit on both my cars... then I tried a Performance hitch rack and hated it. Too hard to use and didn't fold up well and generally was just a POS.

So when I saw the Saris, I was psyched to get it (using my annual REI 20% off dividend)... sadly, I really dislike it and I'm taking it back today, after it's first "real" use with 2 bikes.

Here are the problems:

• Too short for either of my bikes so it's a pain to hook them up securely
    • Absolutely MUST remove at least 1 seatpost to get both my bikes on. Would be much easier if I removed both seatposts.
    • The straps for the wheels are CRAP quality compared to any other rack I've ever used and are just barely long enough. They require a lot of fiddling.
    • It took me much longer to load this than it does a roof rack! (Even with practice).
    • The front wheel holder interferes with my fender significantly.
    • You get a lot dirtier screwing with the strap than you would with a T2.
    • The whole thing seems kinda wimpy and poorly constructed.

The only reason to get this rack would be if you only carry road bikes (where the handlebars wouldn't conflict) and if you really needed a lightweight rack. It might be an okay road rack... although you still have those lame straps.

I'm going to exchange it for a Thule T2.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by hokeypokey
    I had a Sportworks (now Thule T2) for a while and loved it but sold it b/c I thought I should get 1 1/4" rack to fit on both my cars... then I tried a Performance hitch rack and hated it. Too hard to use and didn't fold up well and generally was just a POS.

So when I saw the Saris, I was psyched to get it (using my annual REI 20% off dividend)... sadly, I really dislike it and I'm taking it back today, after it's first "real" use with 2 bikes.

Here are the problems:

• Too short for either of my bikes so it's a pain to hook them up securely
    • Absolutely MUST remove at least 1 seatpost to get both my bikes on. Would be much easier if I removed both seatposts.
    • The straps for the wheels are CRAP quality compared to any other rack I've ever used and are just barely long enough. They require a lot of fiddling.
    • It took me much longer to load this than it does a roof rack! (Even with practice).
    • The front wheel holder interferes with my fender significantly.
    • You get a lot dirtier screwing with the strap than you would with a T2.
    • The whole thing seems kinda wimpy and poorly constructed.

The only reason to get this rack would be if you only carry road bikes (where the handlebars wouldn't conflict) and if you really needed a lightweight rack. It might be an okay road rack... although you still have those lame straps.

I'm going to exchange it for a Thule T2.
    Got a T2 last december. Love it. Solid as a rock and is adjustable enough to hold anything.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    Got a T2 last december. Love it. Solid as a rock and is adjustable enough to hold anything.

T2 for sure, plus you can get the extra two bike attachment (not shown here). It can handle the weight of DH bikes as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Dirty Monkey
    Get the T2. As azdog said, 4 bikes with the extensions, all downhill, very heavy. No problems carrying the weight at all, and securely. Very quick to load the bikes on it, no tie straps to mess with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE="3"]"May The Schwartz Be With You!"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I bought a Thelma a few weeks ago. It's not the perfect rack for all users, but it does have some bonus features. I bought mine with my wife in mind.

Pros: Very light. She can remove it by herself. Good luck doing that with the Thule or Yak offerings. Doesn't touch the frame at all on my $7000 road bike...big bonus. My wife only has to manage 2 straps and she's home free. Don't have to remove wheels, but that's not uncommon. Bikes mount really easily in my opinion.

Cons: You have to do some creative tweaking (drilling) to get it to fit a 29er, but it will. The straps are a little cheesy. Not the rack I'd use to transport heavier mountain bikes for long hauls or on rough roads.

All in all, it works for us and was pretty cheap. We bought ours for short hops. If we go far the bikes go on the roof. Being able to remove it in two seconds and carry it one handed to the basement is nice. Some hitch racks are freakin' huge and heavy.