meow

Salty Dog Taking a Break

Tommy (Salty Dog) had a hard fall at Seven Springs this weekend and came out of it with a broken femur. Let's send him our best wishes for a fast and full recovery. We need to see him out there on the trails ripping it up again soon!

I am Walt

Best wishes, Tommy!

That's too bad...what happened? And how the hell did you get out/back with a broken femur?

Walt
    Ride more; post less...

What, who, me?
    Jul 2006

Tommy sorry to hear this news.

Hope your recovery is speedy and painless!

Mike

wrecking crew
    Tommy!!! What did you do?!!! I am really sorry to hear about your fall. It must've been a doosy to break your femur or you got it wedge in your frame? Hope you get better soon!
    ~~~

Kathleen in AZ
    Oh gee.. that really stinks! I had been wondering how his Seven Springs ride had gone and why we were not seeing a ride report. Big bummer.

Tommy, I am sending you my best wishes for a speedy recovery. As one who has recovered from lots of broken bones, I know it's a tough time for you.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Ouch! Here's to a speedy recovery.

AKA Sherrif Moe Gnarpiao
    FEMUR?! Ouch, that sucks, been there myself, not fun at all. Best wishes on a quick recovery!!!!

If Tommy was racing the OP and his team needs a rider, I've got someone looking for a team to join.
    JRA

Happy trails

sorry to hear that..

here's to a fast recovery
    Aaron

Low speed, High Drag
    Although I don't know Tommy, I wish him a speedy recovery. That really sucks.

Salty Dog

Taking a break, due to a BREAK..... ugh...

Sunday morning was clear, bright, and just a bit on the cool side, with the moisture from the darkness still clinging in the shadows. As Ron Blake and I arrived at the Cave Creek Campground parking lot we realized there was still some icy water in puddles along the north slopes of the road.

We left the campground a bit after 0930. The trail was still damp, but the dirt was packed and not sticking to tires.

About 1/4 mile after the ladder cross-over the trail follows the creekbed in and out of trees. Very pretty, and absolutely quiet. Ron was behind me and I was watching for wildlife when I approached a granite slag formation that sits about 18" high on the right side, sloping to ground level in about six feet. Instead of going around it to the left, I picked my line up and over it and got to the top when both tires lost traction due to wet, slick granite, and they slid out. I was still in pedals and came down directly on my right hip area.

At this point we were just about 1.5 miles into the ride and it was just about 10 a.m.

Ron stopped and we assessed the situation, giving my body time to tell me that yes, I did have something seriously broken going on.

It turned out the trail was just downhill from a former fire camp road by about 50 yards.

Ron helped me settle into a comfortable resting position and then he rode his bike down the fire camp road toward CC Campground. He found that the road was padlocked and he wouldn't be able to get me with my truck. There is a ranch house near the campground and the gentleman there used his satellite phone to call for help.

A U.S. Park Service ranger, several MCSO deputies and two paramedics responded. Sandra, a paramedic took charge of me and a chopper was ordered, since we were too far out for a ground ambi to get me to a hospital in less than two hours, and the roads out that way can be rough for a patient with a fracture.

The chopper arrived and I was belted to the board and carried to the chopper by all the service people in attendance.

About twelve minutes after take-off we arrived at Scottsdale Osborne Health Care.

Time from crash to arrival was just over two hours. Pretty impressive.

The trauma team confirmed the femur break and surgery was ordered. I was wheeled from Recovery to room 601 West just before five.

So, now I am home and starting the mending process. Got some decent sleep last night and am able to hobble around on crutches while the swelling goes down so I can start rehabing the muscles, etc, to get back on the bike.

No time line, as of now.

Cathy, thanks for the post.

Everyone else, thanks for your comments.

Hope to see you all on the trails again soon.

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Cato
    Tommy (Salty Dog) had a hard fall at Seven Springs this weekend and came out of it with a broken femur.
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your injury Tommy. Hope you heal quick so we can see you back out there.

mtbr member
    Drink your moo, Tommy. I hope for a quick recovery.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Sorry to hear about the crash Tommy, hope you have a speedy recovery!
    Can you hear me now?

Newbie...yeah that's it
    OUCH! Heal fast, you wouldn't want the bike to miss ya!

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    The chopper arrived and I was belted to the board and carried to the chopper by all the service people in attendance.
    Where's IBIKEAZ when you need him...?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog
    The trauma team confirmed the femur break and surgery was ordered. I was wheeled from Recovery to room 601 West just before five.
    So, harkening back to a previous thread, does that mean you watched the Super Bowl?

It can happen to anyone...check this out from the 29'er forum:
    The Big Duel
    Aquaholic is a pretty hard-core SoCal rider.

So now the question is, who will be back first for a group ride - Tommy, or that AZClydesdale guy...?
    Ride more; post less...

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Hey Tommy - real sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you make a speedy recovery and don't have too much discomfort. I've gotta say also that I don't want to see an Arizona version of Aquaholic in a few weeks time Take care and best wishes - hope to see you at one of the Fling socials
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

"Yabut"
    Sorry to hear about the busted bones. Get well soon Man. Got milk?
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Roni1az
    Dec 2004

Heal up quick!!

How did the rock fare? From what i have seen, you've got pretty tough bones. Drink your milk and heal up quickly. Jeremy

I am Bob
    sorry to hear about the injury. sounds like you have the right attitude. take it easy and heal quick!

Maui Grown
    Tommy, I don't know you, but heal-up none the less. I know what it's like to be sidelined with broken bones. Aloha!