Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sad News- Two AZ cycling champs lost

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Bituman 
#1 ·
Second bicyclist dies after SR 95 collision in Lake Havasu City - Havasu News: News

I just came across this and can't believe I didn't see it sooner. Larry Smith and Deb Robison have been racing a long time and did MBAA events as well as road and road tandem stuff. I only met them a couple times, didn't know them that well either- but this hits kind of hard. I bet there are lots of people like me who met these two and I wanted to share. Both were big supporters of racing and riding and my heart goes out to thier friends and family.

Be careful out there folks, and enjoy the ride while we all have it. Godspeed.

#2 ·
Sad news.... didn't know 'em but the news hits close to home as a cyclist. I spent many a day on the road bike with a few very close calls and saw some bad crashes. I entered a 12 step program and went cold turkey on road riding with the advent of texting etc. I am now 4 and one half years road ride free...and sold my ti road bike recently to officially kick the habit. Many of my friends still enjoy a spin on the road... The bike community will truly miss their positive energy. As we get older we all realize how quickly everything can be taken away... so enjoy the pain of that heinous climb and savor the pull of gravity that paints a smile on your face ...for one never knows when their last ride will be.

#5 ·
Tragic story indeed. Like 90minIPA, I have also gotten out of the road riding game and now am 100% on trails. I'd be lying if I said I did not miss it, or get excited when I see a group flying down Pima on a weekend morning when I am heading to Browns Ranch. For me, the risk is not worth the reward. I know I can slip in the shower, get in a car crash or bust my head open on a rock while on the MTB. Just something about the pure vulnerability I feel when I hear that truck approaching and you just hope you are seen by the driver, not knowing if you are going to be taken out in a few seconds.

I am sad for the the two who were lost, rest in peace.

#8 ·
I am not sure, but I think I offended Centurion with my comments. I miss the synergy of a group ride. I loved how it improved my mt fitness. I loved the friendships created. I met so many people that I still am friends with today. During my time riding I saw one death and one brain injury. I just personally feel safer doing things I can control. I feel much like tjkm. I did lean toward humor in explaining my quiting and I apologize to any who were offended. I have much respect for the road riding community. I know their family and friends are missing the loss of these loved ones.

#9 ·
^^^
Not at all 90minIPA. I was referencing comments to the original news article in the Havasu News, not any posts here. Hit that link again and read those comments. Some readers always want to blame the cyclists and minimize the responsibility of the driver.

I raced with three different road clubs in California for about fifteen years but, like you, no longer even own a road bike. I really miss it. And I feel so badly for those riders, their families, and their friends.

#13 ·
I feel significantly safer in the busy city around cars doing 25mph where I can take back alleys or *gasp* ride the sidewalk when necessary to avoid dangerous areas. Despite being active in the planning and development of both painted and separated bike lanes there are times where I just don't trust drivers, no matter how many blinky lights I've got.

I never understood the enjoyment of riding a heavily traveled road. I often laugh at the runners who choose the run on the busiest of roads, its as though they are saying "hey everyone i'm being active and have such an awesome body, look at me!" You can run anywhere and you choose this road?

Lake Mary Road in Flagstaff is notorious for this. Drive out towards Lake Mary on any Saturday or Sunday morning and there tons of people braving the campers, rvs, and ohvs. Sure, it's got a nice berm, but being passed every 30 seconds by a car traveling at 60mph 5' from your shoulder? No thanks.

#14 ·
I feel significantly safer in the busy city around cars doing 25mph where I can take back alleys or *gasp* ride the sidewalk when necessary to avoid dangerous areas. Despite being active in the planning and development of both painted and separated bike lanes there are times where I just don't trust drivers, no matter how many blinky lights I've got.

I never understood the enjoyment of riding a heavily traveled road. I often laugh at the runners who choose the run on the busiest of roads, its as though they are saying "hey everyone i'm being active and have such an awesome body, look at me!" You can run anywhere and you choose this road?

Lake Mary Road in Flagstaff is notorious for this. Drive out towards Lake Mary on any Saturday or Sunday morning and there tons of people braving the campers, rvs, and ohvs. Sure, it's got a nice berm, but being passed every 30 seconds by a car traveling at 60mph 5' from your shoulder? No thanks.
damn, that's the one place I actually feel safe...huge bike lane, not much cross traffic, no lights, long straight sections with good visibility.
I don't know what the data shows, but I'd venture a guess that it's got a good track record...
Now you wanna talk dangerous, try hwy 89 between Flag and the switchbacks to Sedona...I've done in 2x in the past 20 years and both times felt like I cheated death.
Hell, you might think a place like a gated community in Scottsdale is safe...not so, I was hit in one a few years ago by a construction worker.

#15 ·
Ray, I'm sure Lake Mary Rd is probably one of the safer routes to ride on, but whether its enjoyable to be passed that often is another story. I like cars, racing, and have no fear of traffic, but I'd much prefer to be out on gravel or trail than on pavement listening to cars whiz by.

#17 ·
I'm a part time roadie too, although it's telling that I have 3 mountain bikes and one road bike. Last holidays I went on a group ride with some folks unknown to me, where the leader was some guy from California. On our way back we managed to end up in a traffic snarl at 75th Ave and Bell. On a Saturday. During the holidays. At noon. It scared the crap out of me. I'm usually a very conservative roadie and stay out of situations like that. But that dude from CA didn't know what he was doing, and I'll never figure out how I let him lead me into a dangerous situation. I really like the fun and training effect of climbing 9-mile hill. But that last two miles near the top with no paved shoulder makes me nervous.

I'm not quite yet ready to give up my road bike. But I have been considering a CX/gravel grinder for canal rides and similar low traffic volume roads. I should probably start a thread about that. This is not the place.

As far as I know I never met the riders involved in this accident. But I think we all lose when people like them pass way too soon. Consoling vibes to their family and friends.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.