Large wheels & one gear

Ruined rear cog....again

OK, this sucks! A few months ago I wore out my rear cog (King stainless), put a new Niner (Aluminum) cog on. Have only 100 miles or so on it, ruined! Has a few teeth with the same wear pattern that the King had. The only thing I can think of is maybe my chainline is off. When I put the new cog on I also put on a new chain. So It wasn't from a worn chain. So what's the deal? Any ideas/suggestions? Got another Niner cog on the way and don't really feel like feeding this bike new cogs every couple months.
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

[SIZE=1]ChemBright Carpet & Upholstery LLC[/SIZE]

Mo' info, please.

So only a few teeth in one place on each cog are messed up/ worn? Chainline would seem to give an asymmetric, "off side" wear pattern. Only other thing I can think of is maybe your chain's too tight, and the un-concentricity on either cog of chainring is causing wear at a tight spot.

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by Konapdlr
    OK, this sucks! A few months ago I wore out my rear cog (King stainless), put a new Niner (Aluminum) cog on. Have only 100 miles or so on it, ruined!
    Stainless is soft, alu is softer. Get a steel cog. I'll bet you're not a lightweight with weak legs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Surly-Single-Spe...QQcmdZViewItem

I've got a couple thousand miles on an ENO freewheel.

Larger cogs wear more slowly.

mtbr member
    Definately get a steel cog. I borrowed an aluminum King cog last year, broke it on the first ride. I don't think Al is good for the kind of torque generated by SS. Especially when trying to use too tall of a gear up steep climbs.

my knees hurt
    Definetely check your chainline...if its off it will cause premature wear. What size cog are you running in the rear? I have a few boone ti cogs you can give a try to see how they hold up.....
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you would achieve if you knew you could not fail.

http://endurancerehab.com/

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Standard hub (w/cassette body)? Could the cass. body be out of alignment somehow? This might cause the cog rotation to be skew-whiff. Just a thought...
    Can you hear me now?

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedsycip
    Definetely check your chainline...if its off it will cause premature wear. What size cog are you running in the rear? I have a few boone ti cogs you can give a try to see how they hold up.....
    Not necessarily.

My setup would have the front ring in the big ring position, on the outside, for proper chainline. Instead, I've got a bash ring and the front ring is in the middle ring position. When it's really dry it's a bit noisy, but like I said, I've got thousands of miles on an ENO freewheel, and it's still going.

Chains are meant to allow some shift and even a bmx chain can work with a little bit.

You know who made my Phil Wood, right?

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    Not necessarily.

My setup would have the front ring in the big ring position, on the outside, for proper chainline. Instead, I've got a bash ring and the front ring is in the middle ring position. When it's really dry it's a bit noisy, but like I said, I've got thousands of miles on an ENO freewheel, and it's still going.

Chains are meant to allow some shift and even a bmx chain can work with a little bit.

You know who made my Phil Wood, right?
    I think you should try a Surly (steel) or Boone cog. My chainline is "eye alligned" and I have not seen any wear on my Boone. I know the chainline is not perfect.
    I AM JUST A JERK

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Konapdlr
    OK, this sucks! A few months ago I wore out my rear cog (King stainless), put a new Niner (Aluminum) cog on. Have only 100 miles or so on it, ruined! Has a few teeth with the same wear pattern that the King had. The only thing I can think of is maybe my chainline is off. When I put the new cog on I also put on a new chain. So It wasn't from a worn chain. So what's the deal? Any ideas/suggestions? Got another Niner cog on the way and don't really feel like feeding this bike new cogs every couple months.

what gear combination are you running?

Large wheels & one gear
    I am running 32:20 on the Kona and 32:19 on the Haro. The rear hub is a Hope Bulb (about a year old). I am beginning to think that the chain may have been to tight. I have had issues with the rear end loosening up and I cranked it down recently and the chain seemed a little tighter than I would have liked but, thought it would be ok. I don't know.....I hope that's the problem.

I have a Surly (19t) on my Haro that I am going to switch over and run. This way I can see if an aluminum cogs are really that weak.

Thanks for the offer on the Boone cog Mark. If I took you up on it. First, I would feel bad if I damaged it. Second, I would be out even more money. Third I would totally dig the blingness and you would never get it back.

NardoSS
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I think you should try a Surly (steel) or Boone cog. My chainline is "eye alligned" and I have not seen any wear on my Boone. I know the chainline is not perfect.
    I've been running a Boone for about 250-ish miles and it looks brand spankin' new. Keep in mind that I don't ride really hard.

Careful when you buy from oneunoone or 1-uno-1 on ebay because he sent me factory second that I had to have warrantied as soon as it arrived. Freakin waste of time. The one negative feedback he has is from me.

I lean like a cholo!

How's your chain?

How's your chain? Is it stretched? Are the rollers "spooled"? Seems to me that over tensioning and or a bad chain would kill a cog faster than anything. If you've been over tensioning than your chain is probably stretched too. Change your chain like your oil, once every 3 months or as needed with hard riding/driving.
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

Over the Hill
    I only got about 3 months out of my White Industries Aluminum front chainring. Way to soft, I flattened out the teeth making them hook like. The metal was still there it was just deformed and flattened.

18 months later and I can not see any wear on any of my Boone parts.

Dean

Large wheels & one gear
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    I only got about 3 months out of my White Industries Aluminum front chainring. Way to soft, I flattened out the teeth making them hook like. The metal was still there it was just deformed and flattened.

18 months later and I can not see any wear on any of my Boone parts.

Dean
    I am also running a WI Aluminum front cog. I just replaced it along with my worn out King rear cog a couple months ago. This Niner cog only lasted a couple months. Pretty sure now that it is from me having the chain to tight. The chain was new. Now I have another new one on with a Surly cog. Hopefully it will work out better. If not, I am going to put Boone on front and rear.

A plethora of pinatas
    Speaking of chain tension, how tight do you all set yours? I am using a ENO hub as well on my SS and not sure how tight is too tight or too loose. Thx!
    Marty

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea
    Speaking of chain tension, how tight do you all set yours? I am using a ENO hub as well on my SS and not sure how tight is too tight or too loose. Thx!
    Too tight = it binds
    Too loose = it falls off
    I AM JUST A JERK

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Too tight = it binds
    Too loose = it falls off
    Sounds simple enough. Thx!!
    Marty