DFL>DNF>DNS

RR: SoMo - West End Grunt

My summer work schedule is about to adjust to where I have a 2 1/2 hour ride window from 3-5:30p each Wed. I try and stay conditioned for the heat and enjoy riding the empty popular south mountain trails. Y'day I was able to kick off my 3pm ride in style. 101 at the start, but what route should I do?

I opted to put the hurt on myself & started at the Ranger TH. What ensued was a tough, but rewarding HAB cross-training affair. Mtn-rider, this route is for YOU!! In a nutshell: Take Ranger to Los Lomitas to Kiwanis up to Telegraph pass & down to Desert Foothills TH. Take the road to the trails at the base of the Pyramid trail, then connect up to the Gila Valley trail, up & over the saddle then Bursera from W->E. Connect to Pyramid trail & begin the switchback assault, i.e. HAB up to National at post #33. Finally head west on Natty & finish with a downhill run on Ranger.

If you really dislike HAB, this route is NOT for you. Be prepared to push. With that said, I really enjoyed the route. Fantastic views almost the entire way. It also appears that some trail work has been done on sections of the Gila Valley trail & Bursera. Mostly just fixing blown out turns & poor drainages. I really appreciated the work.

Here's a view from Bursera looking towards Pyramid
    From SoMo - Punisher

Pyramid switchbacks
    From SoMo - Punisher

View from post #33 on National towards Telegraph Pass.
    From SoMo - Punisher

At least it was nice and clear out! *wink*
    From SoMo - Punisher

So break out the X-Alp Enduro shoes for this one, fill that 100oz bladder with ice and get some!!

Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Mtn-rider, this route is for YOU!!
    I've looked at a lot of routes around W. SoMo but never actually saw this one. It looks pretty awesome with 3K of climbing in just 15 miles plus some relaxing HAB to spice it up. I like it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    John, let me know when you want a hot weather partner. You can text me also. four80 298 six five 65.

I have most afternoons free and live on Chandler Blvd. If you ever want to start over at Bursera or pyramid on the south side, that is an option as well.
    Michael
    old guy

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    All of that can be ridden ,i'm shure someone has done it.

No Clue Crew
    That looks brutal but I'm curious how you plan on riding a 3.5 hour loop in your 2.5 hour window

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    That looks brutal but I'm curious how you plan on riding a 3.5 hour loop in your 2.5 hour window
    HAB less!! This particular day I didn't have my part-time job to worry about, but nice attention to detail BigO!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth