DFL>DNF>DNS

RR: Bikepacking201 - Happy Jack

Here's a recap from last weekend's outing on the AZT near Happy Jack.

Here's a few pics:

Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Nice write up, John.

Give it a crank
    Pretty cool ride & shots!

I am Bob
    Nice work, John!
    Wish I could have made it. I might have to steal this route for a cool autumn ride.

mtbr member

I REALLY want to do one of these bike pack trips. What worries me is I'm not exactly the fastest rider in the world. Any "slowly but surely" groups do trips like this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    I REALLY want to do one of these bike pack trips. What worries me is I'm not exactly the fastest rider in the world. Any "slowly but surely" groups do trips like this?
    Sorry Bud, KOMers, segment crushers, gnar trail rippers and stravazholes ONLY !
    Middle of the leaderboard slow pokes may not apply...

joking!
    bikepacking is not about speed, it's about endurance, survival, keeping level head and loving riding in the outdoors.

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    joking!
    bikepacking is not about speed, it's about endurance, survival, keeping level head and loving riding in the outdoors.
    and drinking BEER!!!!!
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    and drinking BEER!!!!!
    and watermelon !

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Absolutely!! That's really what it's all about, just getting out there, maybe explore a new area or go to an old favorite, but spend the night. There will be more 'intro' bikepacking rides, probably not until it starts cooling off though. The next trip will be a big mile weekend, roughly 80-85 miles per day. May not be the best situation to break one's self into bikepacking...not that it can't be done!!
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    thanks for sharing John... I think this route would be a good "first time" bike pack... and hence, if you decide to do this next summer, I will likely join you..
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Absolutely!! That's really what it's all about, just getting out there, maybe explore a new area or go to an old favorite, but spend the night. There will be more 'intro' bikepacking rides, probably not until it starts cooling off though. The next trip will be a big mile weekend, roughly 80-85 miles per day. May not be the best situation to break one's self into bikepacking...not that it can't be done!!
    That definitely sounds like an adventure to me. I really don't think the mileage would be an issue to be honest, as long as its not being done at a grueling pace. And, did someone mention drinking beer? Sign me up!!! This is exactly the type of thing I need to get me through this rough spell

mtbr member
    This is most definitely NOT a worry. I am one of the slowest climbers out there and I'm ok with that. John's last two intro bikepacking rides (of which were both my first two bikepacking rides) have been a nice casual pace. Sure there are the stronger people who are always ahead but that is to be expected. I know I suck at anything larger than a 0% grade so I just expect that I can't keep up with some people. On this particular ride, some people hung back and tried to keep together for some parts of the ride.

Being in the "back of the bus" group should not prevent you from coming on these rides. If anything, you can hang out with me and whine about how these crazy people climb hills so fast.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    thanks for sharing John... I think this route would be a good "first time" bike pack... and hence, if you decide to do this next summer, I will likely join you..
    Sure thing Brian, hat tip to you as well for the majority of the forest road suggestions on Day 2.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth