DFL>DNF>DNS

Good job! RR: AZT300 Sweet Redemption

I waited a year for a chance at redemption. Last year the weather really fouled up my plans and I bailed out in Tucson. This year I was determined to finish, no matter the stakes. My recap is long, has a ton of pictures so check out the full ride report here:

2013 AZT300

Clearly this was the toughest event I've ever done. I'm stoked that I had the good fortune to finish, I'm still not quite sure how I willed myself across the line during the final 28 hour, 101 mile, 16000' push from Oracle. I was totally shelled.

Here are a few teaser pics:

Parker Canyon Lake: the start.
    From AZT300: Redemption!! 2013

Near Rosemont JCT

AZT on Mt. Lemmon

Gila Monster

How to make a 2 mile HAB more friendly? Remove your pedal.

Tiger Mine TH

Arriving in Kelvin at midnight during an all-night push to the finish

See, that was easy.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member

huge congrats John

incredible accomplishment John... thanks for sharing
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The last shot is to damn funny! Good job John.
    Because, one is never enough.

I work in .001 tolerances

Re: RR: AZT300 Sweet Redemption

Thanks for taking the time to write that up John.
    Made for a nice Sat morning read :thumbup:

Dianetics Junior
    Just read the complete write up....awesome! Great job, thanks for posting...you guys are total badasses...

mtbr member
    Congrats on completing the event. For those of us who are contemplating doing this, can you make any suggestions for training? Also, how is the trail difficulty?

Give it a crank
    Awesome job, I remember your death mud shots from last year, but not this time! Glad to see you finish the 300 this time.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    Congrats on completing the event. For those of us who are contemplating doing this, can you make any suggestions for training? Also, how is the trail difficulty?
    Thanks. The approach I took going in to last year & this year was to do as many of the Arizona Endurance Series events as I could. Those routes have the length & difficulty to prepare you for a run on the AZT300. So much of it is mental, you have to be prepared for all the little things that can go wrong on a long ride like that. You WILL hike-a-bike, just learn to deal with it, heck even welcome it at times. Check back over some threads in March, if you do the following rides you'll have pre-rode over half the course: Picketpost to Kelvin, Ripsey Loop, Boulders (easy 11 miles), AES Antelope Peak 65, AZT Jamboree and AES Kentucky Camp 46. Throw in Scott's loop of Redington/AZT and you're really covered.

I'm not going to lie, the trail is tough, there's approx. 40,000' of elevation gain over the route and a ton of that is on trail. Plan, ride a bunch, carry a lot of water and know where your food stops are and you can do it.

I had the good fortune of nice weather this year, sure a bit warm, but I ride in Phoenix year round so I welcomed the warm over the cold. I was also very lucky to not have any major mechanicals. There were far better riders than myself who just had some bad trail luck and had to drop out. The attrition rate was a little over 50% this year, that's about normal I believe.

Trust me, if you do this and finish you'll be riding a mountain bike high for a while!! This is regarded as one of the toughest events out there. I hope that answers some of your questions. Best of luck.
    Last edited by freeskier46; 04-27-2013 at 10:30 PM.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    did you carry the 150 gm easy button across the deserts of AZ just to take that picture?

hats off to you sir, you laugh at the sight of weight you have to tote

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    did you carry the 150 gm easy button across the deserts of AZ just to take that picture?

hats off to you sir, you laugh at the sight of weight you have to tote
    The 'Easy' button was Scott Jones, a racer from WA, who I just happened to ride with for a while. He first pulled that thing out at the Molino Campground after 3 of us just HAB'd for the better part of two hours, it really helped lighten the mood. Yeah, that thing wasn't light either, maybe that's how he was carrying his spare batteries!! Scott finished just under 2 hours ahead of me, but was still hanging around Picketpost waiting for a ride, so I took the opportunity to pose with the button!!

Now you know why I don't mind riding with a heavy pack on shorter rides!! All part of the big picture. I was thrilled when my pack only weighed in at 18.5 lbs at the start. I'm sure it was closer to 25lbs when I left Oracle carrying 250+ oz of water.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth