Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Fragile - must be Italian

Roll Call - Please Introduce Yourself

It's been a few weeks that the new forum has been up and I am quite surprised by all the activity on the AZ board! This is terrific...

Anyway, I thought it would be helpful for each of us to post a quick bio of ourselves: where we live, trails we like to ride, bikes we own, our day jobs, hobbies, alcoholic beverages we like to consume, etc. Then we can know a little more about who we are interacting with, which should hopefully make the conversations a little more "open". I know some of this information is already supposed to be in our user profiles, but hardly anybody fills those out.

So I will start with myself. I am 34 years old and married with a 9 month old daughter (cutest little girl in the world). I live in NE Phoenix / Paradise Valley near 24th St and Mountain View, just a block away from the Mtn Preserve and the Trail 100. I own 3 bikes:

'97 Trek 8000 hardtail - Manitou SX Ti fork, Kooka cranks, NukeProof hubs/517's, Kore stem/bars, XT drivetrain, King headset, Answer Rocker post, Avid 7 brakes. This bike is a trusty friend I will never part with.

'03 Giant NRS Air - my new baby. I bought the frame new from South Mtn Cycles (Tucson swap meet in Nov) and built up the rest myself: XTR rear/XT front der; Truvativ Stylo Team crankset, Fox F80RLT fork, Magura Marta disc brakes, Answer Hyperlite carbon bar, Sette carbon post, Velocity/AC wheelset from OddsandEndos. Sweet bike - so much fun to ride.

'03 Fuji Team - my road bike. Yes, I hate to admit it but I train on the road bike to be a better MTN biker. This is one light bike - 16.5 pounds. I've put 1200 miles on the bike in 4 mo's. There are days where it really feels good to spin on the road bike.

Since I live near the Trail 100, this is the trail I ride the most (by far). To break up the routine I also ride S Mtn and the McDowell's, with an occasional trip to Pima/Dynamite. I take the road bike all over N Scottsdale and Phoenix.

My day job is the co-owner of a software/consulting company. I am the technology geek for the group (VP Consulting and Technology). We have our office in N Scottsdale. If you need any sales/marketing automation software or technical consulting for your business, please let me know as this is our specialty!

Other hobbies/sports I enjoy: weightlifting, jogging, snow skiing, water skiing (own a 21' Cobalt), alternative music (not the pop stuff), hiking/camping, and just about any sport (football, baseball). I am an avid Diamondbacks fan. And since I got both my undergrad and graduate degrees from ASU, I am an avid SunDevils fan as well.

My bikemobile is a 1999 Tahoe (perfect to sleep in on 24-hour races) and the wife has a 2000 Lexus GS. But I also have a old 1978 Scout II that is my "play in the desert" vehicle. You don't see too many Scouts around anymore.

Let's see...booze. Oh yes. I like beer (good stuff, not Bud), wine (reds), and whiskey (Scotch, Irish, and nice Kentucky bourbons). You won't see me with a mixed dring in my hand unless it's a margarita on a hot day.

So there you have it. What about you guys?

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sounds like a good idea to me, good opportunity to see who lives close to each other, for organizing rides and other such things.

I live out in East Mesa, Signal Butte and Elliot, Alot of people probably don't even consider this Mesa, but it is. I am 24 and graduated from NAU in 2002. I am newly married, to a wonderful wife who loves mountain biking (I am a lucky man) as of June 2003. I have been riding since I was a sophmore in high school so that was like 1995 or something. I work at Boeing as a software engineer.

I primarily ride out in Mesa, Usery and Hawes with trips to McDowell and SoMo. Going to school in Flag I rode a ton of trails up there and in Sedona.

My 3 bikes:

Voodoo Bizango SS - just finished building this wonderful ride up, it is a super fast steel frame with a surly 1x1 fork up front, I absolutely love it for the smoother trails in the east valley.

2001 Rocky Mountain Element - this is my cushy bike, not real big susupension but enough to take the edge off at SoMo Marz MX Comp up front Fox Vanilla in the back, SRAM drivetrain.

Road bike: Entry level KHS Flite, its really fun for the morning commutes.

MTBR Tool
    38 - moved here from UK in '95. Biking since '87

Live over on Hayden Chapparal in Scottsdale w/the lovely Lydia (wife of 9yrs) and the astounding Ava (daughter 18 months).

Bikes (the obligatory 3):

'91 Chas Roberts custom hardtail w/Deore Xt/weight weenie items, Manitou I forks ( )
    '00 Giant XTC NRS w/Deore/XT components, Hayes Discs and weight weenie trade-ups. Bought recently used - I only paid $700 for a gently used bike and felt that I could use the difference between buying new to upgrade.
    ?? Holdsworth road bike w/miscellaneous Campy components. This thing is a mutt and probably weighs more than my hardtail but it goes and that's what matters

Transport:

His: '03 VW Passat Wagon, chipped, lowered, ICE'd, Yakima'd,
    Hers: '01 Saab 9-5 Wagon, unsullied (boss won't let me touch it)

Boozing:

Yes - any beer as long as it's not Bud Light (boss's poison). Endless quest to find the perfect $<10 red from TJ's or Sunflower (slowly narrowing it down - by the time that quest is over maybe I can afford the sub $50 quest)

Career:

Systems Admin for Family owned Software company based in Chandler specializing in estimating software for Electrical Contractors.

Misc:

Have ridden from sea level to 15000ft over 3 days in the Andes. Took 5 yr sabbatical from biking - returned last yr and was left wondering why I stopped...
    Last edited by Srexy; 02-11-2004 at 05:31 AM. Reason: critical biographical details

Saucy Size Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    I thought it would be helpful for each of us to post a quick bio of ourselves: where we live, trails we like to ride, bikes we own, our day jobs, hobbies, alcoholic beverages we like to consume, etc.
    I'm sort of surprised at all the new names that have come online since MTBR changed formats. Did the new format shake some of the lurkers loose? Or was it just coincidental?

It's sad that so many of the old AZ names disappeared with the reformat. Hopefully they'll show up again one way or another.

Anyway, thumbnail on me.

Bikes: Lots. Small/race bike is my Rock Lobster singlespeed. Big/basher bike is a Kona Stinky Deelux. Just-right bike is heavily modified and abused Cannondale Super V. Road bike is a cheapie clearance special Specialized Allez. Beater bike is a modified ghetto singlespeed Rock Hopper.

Transport: Frontier Crew Cab. Big enough to haul five adults and seven bikes, if you use a lot of lube.

Drinking: Not much these days; my rule is, don't drink when you have a reason to drink -- and I have lots of reasons right now. But when I do, it's usually a Hefeweizen or a good red.

Career: Writing, graphics, websites. Wrote a book, working on the equivalent for roadies.

Live: 3 miles off SoMo.

Ride: Everywhere in the state. Everywhere.

p.
    Last edited by Paul B; 02-10-2004 at 12:23 PM.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

MTBR Tool
    I think because the new format is more contemporary than the old that it has brought its own following w/it.

For me it was mostly coincidence - I got back into riding in December. However I probably wouldn't have used it as much in the old format because there was no AZ specific forum and I detest those long stringy/endless thready style boards.

mtbr member
    Do I have to? I pride myself on being antisocial.

Okay, Reader's Digest version:

Mt Biking since I was six, but got a "real" mt bike about 5 years ago. Own myself 4 bikes (7 total in our 2 person household), including:

Superlight
    POS Singlespeed
    Trek 2200 from like 1990
    Belgium Brewing Co Fat Tire Cruiser my GF won at the MS 150 auction

Live in the NW Valley with my GF (oh, what she puts up with). Ride mostly t100, but do venture out to all the typical spots (although I have yet to--believe it or not--venture out to Hawes).

Work from home (I'll keep my profession to myself since if I told you, you'd call BS--but it does have to do with righting...um, I mean writing).

Been in Phx about 7 years. Before that Prescott, Globe, and Tucson. I'm your original Desert Rat (been in AZ for 29 of my 34 years).

Other hobbies: Hhmm, Ultimate Frisbee, softball, skiing (when I find the time), video games (to work on my...cough, cough..hand-eye coordination), hiking.

Carboloading beverage of choice: Bud, but I'm not opposed to Oak Creek Canyon Nut Brown, and anything from 4 Peaks (which is a trek and a half for me).

Okay, that's all you're getting.
    Last edited by Casual Observer; 02-11-2004 at 07:54 AM.

XC Geek
    There are alot of new names on these boards now, maybe a few people changed their screen names.

Well here we go,
    Bikes: most of the time I ride a Superlight, but I have 4 other bikes that live in my garage
    Ionic Steelhead
    Trek 7000
    Old Iron Horse hardtail converted to Single Speed
    and a LeMond Tourmalet (ya a roadie)

Bike hauler: Dodge Dakota Quad cab

Drink: Corona, no lime

Work: Project manager for a valley contractor

Homelife: loving wife that allows me to ride more than I should (thanks), 34 month old daughter, and her 19 month old little sister (cutiest kids in the world IMO)

Live: 1/4 mile from State Trust land that includes Pyramid Peak (North West Phoenix)

Ride: Everywhere I can, in 2003 I rode my local plus Whitetanks, Estrella, McDowell (Pemberton & Competitive loops), Trail 100 and surrounding offshoots, Pima & Dynamite, Cave Creek Dam (Spokesman night rides), SoMo (Mormon, National, Desert Classic, etc), Hawes, Pass Mountain, Bell Rock loops, and a few trails I left out for certain.

I've been know to rip down a hill now and then on a snowboard, or ride wheelies down the street on a sport bike too.

swashbucklerette
    Guess I'll be the first gal to chime in.

I'm a 2nd generation Tucson native, 3rd generation AZ native. Haven't lived anywhere else but Tucson. Been mountain biking for about 4 years now. Kind of took last year off, but picked it back up this year. I'm primarily a solo rider, and do group rides maybe once every few months on the gnarlier trails where it's best not to ride alone.

I have a Kona Jake the Snake CX (used the most), a hardtail, and a Bullit. I ride mostly to work & back, and a few weekend rides in SE Tucson. I want to start exploring the SE corner of the state more.

Got my chemical enginering degree from the UofA (I hate the UofA) 4 years ago, and been working as an engineer in Tucson since.

I mountain bike primarily to keep in shape for roadracing my motorcycle, which is my main passion. Member of team Precision Strike Racing. I'm going to try to balance the two hobbies better this year. Hopefully pack a MTB in the trailer with the bikes for our longer distance trips and hit some trails.

I don't consume drinks with -OH functional groups.

Skinny legged XC geek

A sad and sordid tale

I haven't revealed this to my riding buddies before, but since Doug started us off with his life story, I was born a man in a woman's body. For those of you I have ridden with, that should explain a lot. Someone with keen insight actually nominated me for a Grimey in 2002 for "Best Riding Skills-Female." I had the surgery shortly after graduating from Stanford in 1979, with dual degrees in drama and physics. After getting my PhD in Quantum Physics and Particle Theory, I settled down to life in Phoenix as a commercial real estate developer, because that's where all the fast, easy money was being made.

As a kid, not having been gifted with great hand/eye coordination, or a strong desire to get creamed in physical contact sports, I became a swimmer. That, I was pretty good at. A bunch of state championships and records in high school, All-American in college, until I hit the burnout wall after sop****re year. There was just not enough time and energy in the day to maintain the academic load, train at that level, and continue concealing my true sexual identity, so I bailed. Shorly after that, I became social chairman of the fraternity.

Once on the career track, I slowly got fat and lazy, but married before it was out of control. Following a snide remark by the ball and chain about a mutual friend who she though looked pretty hot in a Speedo, I decided to start swimming again in 1989. I got into pretty good shape, was approaching my lifetime bests, and competed nationally for a few years. Needing a little more excitement, I discovered whitewater kayaking in 1998. All my kayaking buddies are MTB'rs when the rivers are dry; they got me interested in bikes. I bought a really awful, heavy Schwinn Mountaineer rigid bike in 1999 that I took up to our summer cabin in the Prescott area, where I began to ride solo. That bike had a 3x7-speed drive train, center-pull brakes, and flat pedals. It really sucked. After meeting up with some riders from Phoenix who were up for a day trip (a group SkinnyTire rides with occasionally), I learned more about suspension options and bike design issues; they steered me to mtbr.com. Eureka!

The weight weenie page got me inspired. I did a bunch of paper builds using different parts groups on some aluminum hardtails, trying to keep the weight and the budget down. I began to realize that by keeping the weight way down, the bike gets pretty expensive and might as well have a full suspension design for the money. Hence, the 23.0 lb RacerX as my first real mountain bike in late 2001.

Riding a decent bike with full suspension was a revelation. It was actually fun. I started riding a lot more, and networking with different goups, including the AZ contingent of Passionites.

Summer 2003, I went on a century road ride. It was the first time I had been on a road bike since my Schwinn Varsity in college. Our route was through downtown San Francisco, across the Golden Gate Bridge, and up into the Russian River Valley. There were about 75 riders, it was catered, we stopped for breakfast and lunch, the weather was perfect, a couple of people stood up at rests and told hilarious jokes. I thought to myself, "Oh, so this is road riding!" Better get one of those, too. Back to Titus, mtbr's weight weenie guru's and to roadbikereview.com for research. The 15.9 lb Titus FCR came together 2 years after the RacerX and has been a fun alternative to the mountain bike for the last few months, especially for riding from home on short notice of some free time. Just last Saturday, Doug took me on a 65 mile out and back to the end of the pavement on Seven Springs Road north of Carefree.

Trails? I like any that aren't stupid hard technical (hand-eye thing, and still being a *****, so to speak), and appreciate variety. Trail 100 and environs, SoMo, Hawes, Pass Mtn, P&D, McDowells, White Tanks, Globe, Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff, Tucson, Crown King, and planned trips to Kentucky Camp, Estrella, New River trail, etc. Rode the Flight of the Pigs in November as a real highlight of the sport. Competed in 3 off road, sprint triathlons in 2003. Those were fun: 800m swim, 15K bike, 5K run, and I placed well. Looking forward to a 24 hr race relay some time when the schedule permits.

I've ridden with the following recent visitors to this page: PaulB, ScottN, SkinnyTire, Doug Gangi (road only!), and CrashTest Dummy. In all cases, the initial rides were blind dates set up on mtbr, but revealed great people who ride well and enjoy a good time on the trail. It seems crazy, but this internet thing we share has materially enhanced my (our) enjoyment of biking and life in general by introducing me to so many new friends with similar interests, yet completely diverse life experiences and backgrounds.

I still work in commercial real estate, swim a few times a week, remain active in the community civically (even some "save the trails" work) and in social clubs, paddle when the rivers are up, and travel to Northen California and British Columbia's Gulf Islands in the summer. I try to show up as husband and father, too.

My wife and I had our 20th anniversary in 2003. We have 3 kids, a 14 year old daughter and 10 year old boy-girl twins. I claim to be a 4th generation Arizonan.

Look for my PEDALAZ plates on a bronze Suburban at the trailhead. After a ride, a Negra Modelo, a single malt Scotch without too much smoke, or a reserve Irish whisky (e.g., Midleton Very Rare) would be fine.
    Last edited by pedalAZ; 02-10-2004 at 02:04 PM.

mtbr member

Wrong!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pedalAZ
    I've ridden with the following recent visitors to this page: PaulB, ScottN, SkinnyTire, Doug Gangi (road only!), and CrashTest Dummy. In all cases, the initial rides were blind dates set up on mtbr, but revealed great people who ride well and enjoy a good time on the trail.
    I'm not into online dating if you recall (sssshhhhh, remember, I'm antisocial).

Other than that, what can I say: Typical Cardinal.

Saucy Size Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Girl
    I don't consume drinks with -OH functional groups.
    Awesome chem-geek answer, E!

So about this riding a mountain bike more...when are you gonna get back up to the Valley?

p.

Saucy Size Moderator

That does explain a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by pedalAZ
    I haven't revealed this to my riding buddies before, but since Doug started us off with his life story, I was born a man in a woman's body.
    So...is it detachable? Because it might help with some of those behind-the-seat clearance issues.

And it might help you keep up with the chicks who can still ride your ass off. ;-)

p.

swashbucklerette
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    So about this riding a mountain bike more...when are you gonna get back up to the Valley?
    Probably Mar. 12 for the AZSF ride. I'll probably bring the Baby Bullit and do the B ride (whatever that is). Maybe I'll be able to drag Zac up with me.

Next gnarly ride will be on Feb. 28...La Milagrosa shuttle run that a club member is doing. I'll post an announcement on here as soon as it gets closer.

swashbucklerette
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    So...is it detachable?
    Great. Now I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head.

Occidental Tourist

Wow natives no less...

Who woulda thunk it. OK, here is me. 3rd generation Tucson (with my HS years out of state) but now live in Kleenix which I hate to admit is growing on me (OK mom I'm going to burst into flames now). Graduated from the UofA and hate ASU (I still remeber what they did they Steve Kerr) and still drive down to Tucson for UofA bball home games. I'm 29, married 5 years and have a 15 month old boy who doesn't sleep and is tons of fun.

I have one bike b/c my wife thinks my hobby is too expensive (she doens't ride but has a nice bike) so I just ride until somthing breaks and replace it. I've been mtn biking for 6-7 years but was a roadie in HS until I discovered lacrosse and then mtn biking in college. I also love snowboarding when I can get away. I work on an IT team for the state as an HR Analyst and worked for the UofA prior to this stint.
    I live near 19th ave and Bethany and usually ride T100 starting at the West end but I can be found back in Tucson, Sedona or Flag on any given weekend. I'll admit I'm a bit of a beverage snob, single malt scotch and microbrews for me.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Saucy Size Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Girl
    Great. Now I'm gonna have that song stuck in my head.
    Some guy was selling it.
    I had to buy it off him.
    He wanted twenty-two bucks, but I talked him down to seventeen.
    I took it home, washed it off,
    and put it back on. I was happy again. Complete.

p.

Kathleen in AZ

Upset

ok, I'll share....

I'm Kathleen. I've been in Phoenix for about 6 of the last 9 years. Was born in LA, and have also lived in NJ, TX, OH, MD, DC, and AZ. I don't plan on moving again as I think I have finally found "home". I have two cowdogs, Boojum and Joopiter, and one cat, named Gu. The pups and cat and I live in a lovely house in Ahwatukee about 1 mile from both the Warpaint and Water Tank Desert Classic trailheads, making SoMo my most ridden trail system.

During the week, I am employed in the microelectronics industry as a failure analysis engineer. All my degrees, however, are in geology, so humor me next time we meet and see if I know upon which rock type we are riding.

My mtn biking passion was born in 1995 with my first FS bike (Y-frame) and a move to Arizona. Although I had a 2-3 year love affair with Titus FS bikes, lately I've been riding steel on a Surly 1x1 and a DeKerf soft-tail. But just last Friday I welcomed a new Turner 5Spot into my garage!! I'm looking forward to a bouncy ride again. It's also the first bike that I didn't build from frame up since 1995, and I have to admit that it sure was nice to let someone else do the job.

Besides biking, I really love to hike and camp and do just about anything outdoors. Lately I've been drowning in a huge backyard remodel project. But since that's my favorite room in the house (in addition to the garage), that is were I've chosed to invest recent $$ and effort.

Let's see... what else? I drive a 5-sp 99 silver 4Runner with racks for 4 bikes on top. Oh, and please do not judge me, but I like BLiCs (bud light in a can).
    Last edited by Paul B; 11-25-2012 at 07:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hi all--

28 years old. pretty much a native zonie--grew up here and recently moved back after a 5 year hiatus in denver/boulder. live in central phoenix--it used to be the west side--on 31st and glendale.

favorite trails are national and trail 100 area although i really haven't ventured out to many other trails as of yet.

bikes---3(i am a tri geek by nature but it's hard to get off the trails some days)

kona dawg dee-luze; brand spanking new '04.

lemond zurich

cervelo p2k

job: unemployed attorney; studying for the bar as we speak(oh joy).

painfully single at the moment and always looking for options...

booze: yes. no wine. give me the beer--a 4 peaks ipa, but will drink anything. gin, rum, tequila drinks if i am looking to get there a little quicker.

I bike, I brew

... and if we just ...

Great thread... great to "get to know" others - and to have a good mix of Phx & Tuc here...

I'm Hank - 2nd Generation Tucsonan native, my grandfather moving here a year after statehood (going on to a successful career as UofA multi-letterer, and later building a legacy of his own for UofA baseball - so needless to say, despite the UofA's "wonderful" performance in Football, I am proudly a Wildcat to the core)...

Anyway - 41, married (again) with 4 wonderful kids (3 the first time around, and one the 2nd and last time around), teach 8th grade Social Studies (recently National Board Certified), sponsor our school's Mountain Bike Club and yearbook, and resident calenderer for sdmb - so when I'm not being a teacher, dad, and honey-do.... I'm on my bike.

Only one bike - it's a last and greatest Schwinn Rocket-88 (a bankruptcy special), satisfactorily outfitted, though the fork is long outdated - maybe if I'm a good boy this year...

We're a single-car household, so it's a van. That works out nicely since living about 7 minutes pedaling time from the chutes (Golder Ranch/50-year Trail), and that's my favorite trail network. I also am fortunate that through the same trail system I can commute a good hour-long ride to school at least twice a week.

Beer of choice - well, clearly Guinness (proud member of the 1759 Society!), or enjoying my own home-brews. Occasionally I'll go for thinner things like tasty pale-ales (Fat Tire's been a favorite since they first started giving initial samples at the brewery - past resting place during summer for 14 years), but overall prefer stouts and porters. LOVE tequila - pure, cold (keep it in the freezer) and straight.

Looking forward to connecting with many at the 24 HOP race...

viva la v-brakes!

Am I the only person in Flagstaff?

My real name is Frank, but I go by the online monkeyer FishMan, a long, and not very interesting story. Apparently I am the only mountain biker in Flagstaff with an internet connection (come on somebody car pool with me please)! I just moved here in August from Champaign Illinois, which is a great town but 45 minutes by car from the nearest trails and the next nearest trails were almost 2 hours away in the other direction.

When I'm not riding I am a 27 year old grad student studying forestry at NAU. I started commuting by bike when I was about 8 because the bus took an hour to get me home and the bike only took 15 minutes. Started riding recreationally when I was 13 because we moved to a new town at the beginning of summer and I had no friends so I had to do something. Started racing MTBís when I was about 18. Road coast to coast in 2002 with my wife as our honeymoon. I'm a total bike nut with 6 bikes:

- Salsa Ala Carte ďracingĒ mountain bike.

- brand new Titus Loco-Moto ďtrail bikeĒ.

- Barracuda A2V retro purple and green ano rigid singlespeed MTB.

- 1993 Miyata Team road bike, with newer Ultegra parts but still pretty retro.

- Bruce Gordon BLT touring bike, works for CX too.

- Early 90ís Ross Mt. Hood commuter bike.

Right now Iím so buzzed about being in such a great place for biking thatís about all Iím doing. But I also enjoy photography, hiking, backpacking, canoeing and botany. Iím a total eco-freak vegetarian hippy type. OK, maybe not a hippy, but I have a long history of involvement with environmental groups and ecological restoration activities. Part of the reason Iím a bike commuter, and it kills me to have to drive 60 miles twice a week to ride in Sedona, but the riding there is so great, it has a tendency to take your mind off of it. Don't like pro sports, got my own sports to play thank you very much. OK, I have to go work on three of my six bikes now.

Oh and DurtGurl, why is there basalt all over the Airport Mesa trail in Sedona?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Portable curmudgeon

Can you identify yourself?

Yes. This is me.

Yeah, well, I lurk and post and love the anonymity of it all but since this is a community consisting only of you, me, a dozen or so other trusted Arizonans, a few hundred random MTBR members, at least as many unregistered hangers-on, and some dude from Boston, I'll spill a little.

I'm 33 years of age, Arizona native, married almost 9 years (she rides, too), one dog, free of children. Grew up in NW Phoenix, NAU class of '92, now employed as a fish and wildlife biologist in Tucson. I've been riding off road on bikes built for the purpose since 1989. My working stable includes a rigid singlespeed, a geared hardtail, a 'cross bike, and a frankenbike for commuting. The single gets 95% of the action. Chosen terrain includes the usual suspects in Flagstaff, Trail 100, McDowell Mountain, Sierra Estrella, White Tanks, the Gates and Starr Pass parts of the Tucson Mountain Park, the 50-Year Trail, and Fantasy Island. I am a notorious wet blanket on group rides owing to my SuperClyde TNT rockcrusher status.

Tuneage is alternative, surf, ska, dub reggae, and industrial, not necessarily in one band. I like microbeers, disc golf, fishing, reading, photography, and some other stuff in no particular order of importance. I know my way around a burrito.

So that is that - the director's cut, widescreen, DVD version of my MTBR profile with bonus deleted scenes and a theatrical trailer. So is anyone local to me besides Johnnygun and Veelz? Feel free to send a message through my profile or to douglas AT singlespeed DOT net if you want to bike down (slowly) here in the Old Pueblo. Just put something in the subject line about MTBR so I can tell you from spam. If not, I'll just see you out there somewhere.

AZBound/Jason

The author in his habitat:
    Last edited by AZBound; 02-10-2004 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=
    Finally, in case anyone was wondering... I like boys! Not all single women who are athletic with muscles and have short hair are lesbians. Not that there's anything wrong with that....[/QUOTE]

and not all guys that shave their legs and have some muscles are gay either....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i have lived in the phoenix area since 1981. i got into mtb'ing about 11 years ago and still loving it. i am 50 years old so i guess i am the old phart of the group.

i have 2 bikes, a 1994 diamondback axis TR and a 2003 jamis dakar xc comp. i usually ride at white tank competition loops, t100 and desert classic @ somo. besides biking i enjoy weight lifting(gotta strengthen these old bones)and hiking.

my favorite music is metal, especially Tool, korn and Godsmack. my favorite movie is the first Naked Gun.

Rita aka zer0

swashbucklerette
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBound
    So is anyone local to me besides Johnnygun and Veelz? ]
    I'm here in Tucson too. FI is my usual weekend hangout. I'm the girl on the cross bike. Also a member of SDMB, so I'm going to try to hit a few more club rides, too.

wheeeee!!!

guess it's my turn

Hi, I'm Eric Burley. I went under the moniker chupacabra in the old forums, but evidently that's taken on the new boards.

Anyway, about me:

I'm 31, I've been married almost 9 years, to a mostly non-riding wife, who is very underdstanding. I've got a 26 month old daughter, who is an absolute riot, and I've got a 9 year old yellow lab that is dumber than a sack of rocks, but is amazingly tollerant of the my daughter's demonstrative affection. I live in the North West valley, making t-bird park my local ride. I've also ridden pyramid peak quite a bit, but trailhead access is difficult now.

work: I'm a software developer for a scottsdale firm. Currently usinng c#, but I've used C++ extensively in the past.

rides:
    I'm at 4 now:
    1. a redline monocog ss, built from the frame up. My main mountain bike, will be racing it this weekend.
    2. a jamis eureka, my rough trail bike. disks, 5" fork, hardtail.
    3. Brand spankin new '03 IronHorse SGS Pro DH bike. 8" of squish. Big fun. Not riding it much until after old pueblo.
    4. A mid-eighties lugged steel road bike I picked up at a yard sale, with some dura-ace goodies hung on it for 40 bucks. My commuter (I'm not a roadie, I'm a commuter). I try and ride to work once a week

booze:
    I'm not picky, but I do like flavorful beers, with Chimay being one of my current faves. Good reposada tequila has it's moments, and bourbon can be nice. But I'm also down with 2 buck chuck, Riunite Lambruso (what you think red wine should taste like when you're a kid), and tawny port.

I've ridden with lotsa the folks who have posted, and I'll see you all down at the old pueblo.

E

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast