Ahhh the pain....

Rogers Lake Trails

For the last several years, the FBO (Flagstaff Biking Org) has been working on a connector trail from the back (west side) of Tuthill over to the Goldigger Loop trail just east of Rogers Lake. It was recently completed and I had a chance to ride it today...Really great work done out there and I encourage people to give it a go. A little bumpy due to it's freshness, but a solid ride from Tuthill. The Goldigger loop has been built for some time but since it wasn't really connected other than via FR's or powerline access rds, it didn't get many tires.
    If you need a change from the usual stuff in Flag, give it a go. About 22 miles and nearly 2kft of climb if you include a the Tuthill stuff.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1058263027
    map
    http://www.flagstaff.az.gov/DocumentCenter/View/51768
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the trail report.

We've been riding Fort Tuthill—Flagstaff Loop Trail—Rogers Lake Connector for the past two summers then turning around where it ends. We've also hiked/run Golddigger Loop Trail—really nice. Good to know the whole thing is now connected.

-db-

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for sharing!
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the report! The routing across Woody Mtn is pretty cool.

Baby steps, and the Sierra Club lurks around every corner, but things are starting to turn around in Flag. MEDL is back on the table but as a piece to a Regional trail Plan with one concept being discussed, a trail connecting Flag to Sedona. The Heart Trail reroute is about to get the green light so that will happen in 2018 as well.

Name:  heart-l-elden-layout_small.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  51.7 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Thanks for the report! The routing across Woody Mtn is pretty cool.

Baby steps, and the Sierra Club lurks around every corner, but things are starting to turn around in Flag. MEDL is back on the table but as a piece to a Regional trail Plan with one concept being discussed, a trail connecting Flag to Sedona. The Heart Trail reroute is about to get the green light so that will happen in 2018 as well.

Name:  heart-l-elden-layout_small.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  51.7 KB
    Rad! That connection from Lockett Meadow around to the Abineau/Bear Jaw trail head then continuing to the AZT should be included in the big picture plan as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona
    Rad! That connection from Lockett Meadow around to the Abineau/Bear Jaw trail head then continuing to the AZT should be included in the big picture plan as well.
    This is the compiled list of suggestions from the last quarterly Regional Trail Coordination meeting with the city, county, Ariz Trail Assoc., FBO, and the FS. The goal being to generate a Flagstaff Regional Trail’s Management Plan an expanding the effort to include interviews or surveys with stakeholders (bike shops, running, shops, biking-hiking-running clubs, CVB, local agencies, etc) to generate suggestions, as well as a potential online public survey.

*New trail parallel to Highway 180 to create loops with the Arizona Trail and Fort Valley Trail
    *Deer Hill Trail: loop back to trailhead and campground
    *Deer Hill Trail: extension to Lockett Meadow
    *New trail between Lockett Meadow and Arizona Trail out of wilderness on the north side of the Peaks, to prevent bicycle use of Bear Jaw Trail
    *New trail from Rogers Lake County open space to Sycamore Rim Trail in Kaibab National Forest south of Army Depot
    *New trail from Munds Park to Schnebly Hill/Casner Canyon Trail in Sedona
    *Circle trail around Peaks (is this accomplished via alternate to Bear Jaw and extension of Deer Hill Trail?)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This is the compiled list of suggestions from the last quarterly Regional Trail Coordination meeting with the city, county, Ariz Trail Assoc., FBO, and the FS. The goal being to generate a Flagstaff Regional Trail’s Management Plan an expanding the effort to include interviews or surveys with stakeholders (bike shops, running, shops, biking-hiking-running clubs, CVB, local agencies, etc) to generate suggestions, as well as a potential online public survey.

*Circle trail around Peaks (is this accomplished via alternate to Bear Jaw and extension of Deer Hill Trail?)
    Sounds like it. I don't mind Waterline Road as being part of that loop. With the soil on that slope (Shultz fire areas) it would be hard to build anything that wouldn't be a maintenance nightmare plus that road is maintained and is about as nice as a long uphill can be. I love getting up into Lockett Meadow as part of the loop.

Ahhh the pain....
    awesome that at least some great suggestions have been made and things are proceeding albeit slowly...so much great potential in the area and neat to see bigger connections between trail systems being made.

What ever happened to the connection between Munds and the airport area?
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Thanks for posting that update Rockman. All of it sounds amazing. I sure hope, as many do, that the tide is turning when it comes to trail development & construction in the Flagstaff area.
    I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    awesome that at least some great suggestions have been made and things are proceeding albeit slowly...so much great potential in the area and neat to see bigger connections between trail systems being made.

What ever happened to the connection between Munds and the airport area?
    It's on-going. They're currently building the singletrack now to Mund's Park but had to shut down the swaeco when the FS went to stage 2 fire restrictions. I don't have much info other than that since it's mainly a motorized deal but the Rec staff at FRD insist it's going to be fun on mtn bikes. Here's the project overview: https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=36911

Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    Thanks for posting that update Rockman. All of it sounds amazing. I sure hope, as many do, that the tide is turning when it comes to trail development & construction in the Flagstaff area.
    The tide is turning albeit slowly but the Sierra Club is a formidable foe. Yesterday at a meeting at the Schultz Y the Plateau Group representative told me they would file a lawsuit if the MEDL trail plan is submitted as currently proposed. They're really not interested in being a partner at the table. Just obstructionists. They want both Elden Lookout Rd and Schultz Pass Rd gated and closed to motorized traffic to protect the resource. What it boils down to is the particular individual just hates mtn bikes and I'm not entirely sure that the state level Sierra Club representatives know exactly what he's advocating for.

parenting for gnarness
    It's on-going. They're currently building the singletrack now to Mund's Park but had to shut down the swaeco when the FS went to stage 2 fire restrictions. I don't have much info other than that since it's mainly a motorized deal but the Rec staff at FRD insist it's going to be fun on mtn bikes. Here's the project overview: https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=36911

The tide is turning albeit slowly but the Sierra Club is a formidable foe. Yesterday at a meeting at the Schultz Y the Plateau Group representative told me they would file a lawsuit if the MEDL trail plan is submitted as currently proposed. They're really not interested in being a partner at the table. Just obstructionists. They want both Elden Lookout Rd and Schultz Pass Rd gated and closed to motorized traffic to protect the resource. What it boils down to is the particular individual just hates mtn bikes and I'm not entirely sure that the state level Sierra Club representatives know exactly what he's advocating for.
    There are definitely different voices and chapters within Sierra Club, and I've noticed on local issues the relationships get more autonomous. Not necessarily a bad thing, but in your case its too bad you cant find partnership. Fact is MTBing is just getting bigger and on Elden good grief they are fighting the sunrise. Sierra chapters have the most power to influence now - they should use it for solutions. But perhaps this person thinks they are... As far as lawsuits, depends on if you can defend it and if they have the funds of volunteers to carry their suit. Filing is easy, costs just a few hundred to a few thousand.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Those two sure are special.

Pivotal figure
    Planning to ride this Sunday, should I bring the hardtail or FSbike? I ride the hardtail on everything but the worst stuff on SoMo but long stretches of sustained bumps is a bit annoying
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Planning to ride this Sunday, should I bring the hardtail or FSbike? I ride the hardtail on everything but the worst stuff on SoMo but long stretches of sustained bumps is a bit annoying
    That depends on what tires you have on your hard tail.

I think it depends on who you are with and what kind of ride you are going to be on.

Pivotal figure
    I think I'll bring the hard tail, how bad can it be?
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    That depends on what tires you have on your hard tail.

I think it depends on who you are with and what kind of ride you are going to be on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

... and if we just ...

I think I'll bring the hard tail, how bad can it be?
    Yeah, I imagine you are going to figure it all out on your own just fine.

mtbr member

Rogers Lake Trails

I just rode this trail this morning and once it gets smoothed out it's going to be real nice. There's a couple of tight corners that will be interesting to see how they burn in when they receive more traffic, but it's good to have a trail on the other side of town with some elevation gain/loss.

Pivotal figure
    We rode a slightly abbreviated route today, skipped the Gold digger loop to get back before the storms rolled in. Rogers connector is cool, easy climb and flowy descent. It was pretty rough riding the hard tail on the newest portion but for the majority of the ride it was just right. We'll do it again for sure. On a side note, does anybody know why Soldier trail cuts right thru the side of the equestrian course? Negotiating that was an unnecessary annoyance IMO....

DFL>DNF>DNS
    On a side note, does anybody know why Soldier trail cuts right thru the side of the equestrian course? Negotiating that was an unnecessary annoyance IMO....
    Yeah, I was wondering that as well. I didn't have a track loaded and it was a PIA to follow. I ended up bailing to the park road.
    I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to
    My Two Schillingsworth