Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Rode Hawes for the first time ... In years

This morning's plan was to ride Pass Mountain. Got all the way out and found I didn't bring my wallet to pay the park fee and I don't like parking outside where all the cars get broken into.

So I punted and decided to ride Hawes.

Man, I haven't been there in years. Not my normal style of riding and my Bronson was definitely a lot of bike for the trails.

Had fun, though. Due to my planning error, didn't get a super-early start, so it was humid. I kinda figured out where I was once I got rolling and the layout came back to me.

Ended up riding the outer loop CCW. My memory is vague, but didn't seem like the trails were all that different. Mudflaps was still a tough climb. The descent down the back of Mine was really fun and I was able to carry really good speed.

Lotta bikers out there. I may not get back for a few more years, but it was fun.

mtbr member
    I have ridden all over AZ and Hawes trails are some of the best xc around no doubt.

My other ride is your mom
    I miss my tequila tree very much....having to drive an hour to get to my hooch is a major bummer

SCRUBDUNKER
    I live about 2 miles from PMP and I gladly drive out to Hawes. I have the good fortune of having friends in Las Sendas which makes it even better. What an amazing trail system. Whoever built it is awesome.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Been one of my favorite local systems for years. Great night riding out there.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

EDR
    Nothing beats Hawes during monsoon season, or during a winter storm when the cloud level drops down to the hill tops.

mtbr member
    Hawes is one of the best water shedding systems. the crushed granite drains really well. just a bit after a rain, the trails rail like velcro. can't have a bad ride at Hawes. ;-)
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Rode Hawes for the first time ... In years-013.jpg

I love Hawes in the winter
    Gravity G29 with mods
    Motobecane Fantomcross Pro
    Trek 5900
    Random Giant MTB converted to SS grocery getter.

How much further ???
    Please tell me if you live anywhere near Hawes you got out there this morning. Temps read 82 in the car at Walgreens, cool breeze out of the north, patchy cloud cover, and it got some rain last night. Near perfect riding.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Give it a crank
    I've ridden Hawes only twice. If I lived nearby, it would be my go-to trail system. It's got the right balance of work/reward/scenery which equals fun AZ rides year round.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    I've ridden Hawes only twice. If I lived nearby, it would be my go-to trail system. It's got the right balance of work/reward/scenery which equals fun AZ rides year round.
    having lived .25 miles from both Hawes and the McDs, imo Hawes is way better. its not always a battle. The McDs is better for pure training - no escaping the climbs. But with Hawes, you also are so close to tech stuff at Pass Mtn and there are LOTS of hidden trials near Hawes that are harder than just about anything in the McDs (except some of the Tom's Thumb area moves). The road riding there I also like better since its much less traffic - terrain and route choices are not as good but imo good enough. I like the McDs access to CX and cross routes into town better - many more choices (greenbelt, Pima path, Reach 11), with Hawes you only have McDowell Rd or the canal to get into the city.

aka Diesel

Within a week or two, Hawes is going to be my backyard trail again, and to say I'm thrilled is an understatement.

Best of all, I can now pillage Maad's hooch. Of course, I have to find it first.

Rode Hawes for the first time ... In years-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374081170.934838.jpg
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Was out there yesterday around 5:30pm. Got to the Saguaro and Ridge trails intersection. My plan was head right on Ridge trail and ride a combination of Saddle and Secret trail back to Saguaro, then climb up to the mine shaft. The weather looked really dark in that area and the wind had started to really gust up. Didn't want to get caught out there in a storm (been there, done that!) so I took a left on Ridge trail, cutting my ride short. Temps were awesome though! I didn't once think about the heat until I got home.
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis View Post
    Within a week or two, Hawes is going to be my backyard trail again, and to say I'm thrilled is an understatement.

Best of all, I can now pillage Maad's hooch. Of course, I have to find it first.
    You're moving back to Las Sendas?! That means you guys will be able to join us on our night rides again. Don't forget to bring your flask!

Come to think of it... you've never found the tequila tree????

aka Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    You're moving back to Las Sendas?! That means you guys will be able to join us on our night rides again. Don't forget to bring your flask!

Come to think of it... you've never found the tequila tree????
    We are! Barring a heart attack, we close this Friday and will start moving in this weekend. And HELL yes to the night rides! That is my all-time fav system to night ride, especially the No Lights Moon(shine) rides!

Flask!? Lordy that thing has been in retirement since 2009-2010. But I might dust off the Sambuca and ressurect the tradition. :-) We'll see.

As to the Tequila Tree... I haven't actually looked, since I looooaaaathe that particular secret sauce... Blah!!!

Addicted to 2 wheels
    We are! Barring a heart attack, we close this Friday and will start moving in this weekend. And HELL yes to the night rides! That is my all-time fav system to night ride, especially the No Lights Moon(shine) rides!

Flask!? Lordy that thing has been in retirement since 2009-2010. But I might dust off the Sambuca and ressurect the tradition. :-) We'll see.

As to the Tequila Tree... I haven't actually looked, since I looooaaaathe that particular secret sauce... Blah!!!
    Stoked to have you guys in the hood. Need to roll out the welcome wagon. Do a fun night ride and visit the beer bush. Riding at 730 on Friday if interested.

aka Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    Stoked to have you guys in the hood. Need to roll out the welcome wagon. Do a fun night ride and visit the beer bush. Riding at 730 on Friday if interested.
    Sweet!! Warm it up! We'd love to have a Welcome Back NR! Friday we will be bleached to a nub from the "process" of closing, but let's conspire for something ASAP. So happy to be coming home and hooking up with the East Side posse :-)

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Opps, I meant Thursday.

We will figure out a date. What sub-division did you move into?

aka Diesel

Ah well in that case we WILL be out there today, although not for a night ride. :-( We have our walk-through at 4pm, then we're going to hit Hawes for a quick spin.

As to where we bought, we're moving into Diamond Point!

Okay that's a total lie. I WISH we were moving into Diamond Point ;-)

We bought a cozy little home in Shadow Canyon off Saddleback. I'm looking forward to having a wayward golf ball take out my two front teeth as I'm sipping wine poolside. Ahhhhhhhh, the good life. ;-)

Re: Rode Hawes for the first time ... In years

Ah well in that case we WILL be out there today, although not for a night ride. :-( We have our walk-through at 4pm, then we're going to hit Hawes for a quick spin.

As to where we bought, we're moving into Diamond Point!

Okay that's a total lie. I WISH we were moving into Diamond Point ;-)

We bought a cozy little home in Shadow Canyon off Saddleback. I'm looking forward to having a wayward golf ball take out my two front teeth as I'm sipping wine poolside. Ahhhhhhhh, the good life. ;-)
    Congrats and welcome back to the hood!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Can you hear me now?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    teeff are so overrated

aka Diesel

"Teeff are so overrated"

True, if one works in a Tijuana brothel. Which, incidentally, I do NOT.

I need my snaggles to bare at others on the trail.

aka Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by cycljunkie View Post
    Congrats and welcome back to the hood!

Thanks J! Looking forward to that oil can ride! Hope we can talk N into joining!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I'm looking forward to having a wayward golf ball take out my two front teeth as I'm sipping wine poolside. Ahhhhhhhh, the good life. ;-)
    Careful what you wish for, especially you two!! It would be nice to have you BOTH out on the trails for an extended period of time instead of one nursing the other....

I may have to drop an evening shift or two once these beer swigging night rides commence, just give me some notice. I still have that Yuengling for you afterall....
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Re: Rode Hawes for the first time ... In years

Thanks J! Looking forward to that oil can ride! Hope we can talk N into joining!
    For sure!

Can you hear me now?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast