Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Rode Deem hills today

Trail really washed out in several places ,west end is pretty bad and the long downhill on the southern end is kinda treacherous .....be careful.

mtbr member
    The southern face wasn't well thought out for sure, that trail going straight up the hill. I can't imagine what it was right after the rain. I was going up that thing and it was really rough - wheels spinning out.

mtbr member
    I don't where you start out, by if your starting point is Deem Hill Park - you could start clockwise, turn right on Ridgeline or Basalt that connects with southern part of circumference trail (and past the nasty descent/climb) and return counter clockwise on the circumference trail. Lollipop.

map
    http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ent/056885.pdf

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I don't where you start out, by if your starting point is Deem Hill Park - you could start clockwise, turn right on Ridgeline or Basalt that connects with southern part of circumference trail (and past the nasty descent/climb) and return counter clockwise on the circumference trail. Lollipop.

map
    http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ent/056885.pdf
    Yeah , I did circumference trail loop - cw thru the saddle and down the south side it was getting difficult to pick a line in many areas.

mtbr member
    Like I said above, you can totally bypass that part and still have great ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rode it as well today. Like a completely different trail after those rains.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just got done ridding Deems. If you thought it was rocky before, give it a try now Watch your speeds on the descents, lots of deep ruts and loose rock

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I hesitate to ask this but who does the trail maintenance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    noooooo you might just have summoned the Lorax of trails!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    I hesitate to ask this but who does the trail maintenance.
    Earlier this spring I saw a guy doing trail maintenance on Deems wearing a city of Phoenix shirt, so I'm guessing it's the city.

drink coffee, ride.
    with all this discussion of rocky trail at Deem, I can't wait to ride on Tuesday!

mtbr member
    Might be my destination this Monday or Tuesday too...

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Might be my destination this Monday or Tuesday too...
    Me three.. Probably starting around 5:30 am....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Me three.. Probably starting around 5:30 am....
    One of those days I will ride at dawn, one of those days... love staying up late

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by minnesotam7 View Post
    Earlier this spring I saw a guy doing trail maintenance on Deems wearing a city of Phoenix shirt, so I'm guessing it's the city.
    I know last year they had prisoners working on drainage on the far east side trails.

Although Deem Hills and the Phoenix Sonoran Preserve are in the same system as the PMP....they seem to do more maintenance on the newer properties.

I wonder if it's like a new vs. and old car. Brand new BMW.....get a dent, buff it out, etc. Old Pinto.....meh.....

drink coffee, ride.
    rode this morning - it was dark, rocky, rutted and nasty. Perfect. Especially techy under lights. Loved the climb up from the parking area towards the canal, and especially the south side down from the saddle. Delicious Breakfast Ride.

Oh, and I saw a little rattler. Coiled up and got all angry at me. Dog gone I hate snakes. Especially in the dark.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post
    rode this morning - it was dark, rocky, rutted and nasty. Perfect. Especially techy under lights. Loved the climb up from the parking area towards the canal, and especially the south side down from the saddle. Delicious Breakfast Ride.

Oh, and I saw a little rattler. Coiled up and got all angry at me. Dog gone I hate snakes. Especially in the dark.
    Sweet! I was not able to make it out because my wife is sick (bummer), sounds awesome out there, I really do need to get some lights for riding in the dark.

Snakes + Dark = extra motivation to not stop and push harder

drink coffee, ride.
    , I really do need to get some lights for riding in the dark.

If I'm just riding there for the weekday morning stuff, I only run my cyro-lite expilion 300. I see REI has them for a little over $60 now. I have the helmet mount and it works just fine and has high WAF. Now, I don't ride as fast with it, as I would say the Baja Striker, but for the money, it's money. And made in the US.

Snakes, ugh, don't need that kind of motivation...

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post
    If I'm just riding there for the weekday morning stuff, I only run my cyro-lite expilion 300. I see REI has them for a little over $60 now. I have the helmet mount and it works just fine and has high WAF. Now, I don't ride as fast with it, as I would say the Baja Striker, but for the money, it's money. And made in the US.

Snakes, ugh, don't need that kind of motivation...
    Thanks for the info on the light... I can swing $60, sounds like a trip to REI is in order. Although, I am sure I will end up spending more than $60 in there. That place is like Costco for me, costs at least $100 just to walk in the door!

mtbr member
    Anyone want to ride this afternoon? Deem or Sonoran around 5 ish for about an hour or so at a relaxed pace? I'm leaning toward Deems or even north of the No-No canal to explore around.

Go Speed Racer
    Anyone want to ride this afternoon? Deem or Sonoran around 5 ish for about an hour or so at a relaxed pace? I'm leaning toward Deems or even north of the No-No canal to explore around.
    I may be able to join you, but would need to start at 5:30... And I would love to check out the No-No stuff, never been out there and have been wanting to check it out...

Edit: Cleared with the wife... I can join, but would need to start at 5:15 at the Deem soccer lot... Let me know...

mtbr member
    5:30 would work for me. I have only rode MTB out there once a year or so ago. I used to ride moto out there from 1980 to around '95 so I know the area a little. I figure there has to be some cool mtb out there-so I would not expect a whole lot of continuity today and maybe some boring sections-lol. BTW-the No-No name is just what I have been calling it in my head since I started thinking about the place again recently, it may have a real name.

mtbr member
    I ran into a snake climbing windgate pass a few weeks ago. Just at point where I was going my slowest climbing hard there nice little rattler coiled up in the middle of the trail. Extra motivation.. You bet... I rode 4" behind that guy and did not stop or put a foot down for 50 yards. Falling there would have been bad...
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Go Speed Racer
    5:30 would work for me. I have only rode MTB out there once a year or so ago. I used to ride moto out there from 1980 to around '95 so I know the area a little. I figure there has to be some cool mtb out there-so I would not expect a whole lot of continuity today and maybe some boring sections-lol. BTW-the No-No name is just what I have been calling it in my head since I started thinking about the place again recently, it may have a real name.
    LOL, I figured the No-No name came from the "hole in the fence" that was opened up by the "aliens"

Anyway, I will be out at the parking lot by the Soccer fields at 5:30 and we can decide from there (Deem sounds fun too)... I kinda remember what you look like from when we ran into each other out at T-Bird... I will be in a white ford f-150, with the white giant 29er HT, and ready to sweat (I like the relaxed pace part - I am just getting over a sinus infection and have been out of pocket for a week)...

mtbr member
    Sweet- Black Xterra with Black Fisher on top.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast