mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC ...

I've been doing some research on AM bikes this past month and this is one of the bikes I keep coming back to. It's a 2009 or 2010 I'm interested in.

I can't find anything local to see what size fits me best. Does anyone have a 16.5 or 18 that I can check out?

Thoughts or opinions on the bike?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The 2010 hasnt been released yet and rocky doesnt have any 2009 18" slayers last i checked. The 2010 is freakin amazing though!
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    The 2010 hasnt been released yet and rocky doesnt have any 2009 18" slayers last i checked. The 2010 is freakin amazing though!
    I'm assuming you mean the 2011 hasn't been released yet.

Hmmmm ... I know 2010 showed sizes of 15, 16.5, 18, 19 and 20.5 but they don't show specs for 2009.

They seem to get really good reviews.

mtbr member

older 16.5

I have a 2006 16.5 but it is probably too different to compare? The geometry's I would guess to be very similar, the newer frame is a bit lighter for sure, but external dimensions appear nearly identical. the 2011 is a radical departure from the earlier design.

It is the best bike I have ever owned. It is fairly light, climbs like a goat, descends like a dirt bike, and is easy to ride over really rocky technical stuff.

Downside is limited local support by RMB (cactus bike sis all you ever need anyway!), but I have had no, 0, zip issues with his thing. it's on it's second set of almost all components (worn out), and the frame set and linkages are as tight and right now as they were when new. I'm scared to buy another bike for fear of losing whatever it is that makes this bike work so well for me..I need quite a number of rides to really figure out how a bike works for me.

The only bad things I have heard are the frames with the carbon stays had breakage issues, mine started as a Slayer 30 and has no carbon parts in the frame set.

Well, anyway if you want to check it out, I can be found either at Hawes or SoMo 3-4 nights a week.
    Check my pulse...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 5bravobravo
    I have a 2006 16.5 but it is probably too different to compare? The geometry's I would guess to be very similar, the newer frame is a bit lighter for sure, but external dimensions appear nearly identical. the 2011 is a radical departure from the earlier design.

It is the best bike I have ever owned. It is fairly light, climbs like a goat, descends like a dirt bike, and is easy to ride over really rocky technical stuff.

Downside is limited local support by RMB (cactus bike sis all you ever need anyway!), but I have had no, 0, zip issues with his thing. it's on it's second set of almost all components (worn out), and the frame set and linkages are as tight and right now as they were when new. I'm scared to buy another bike for fear of losing whatever it is that makes this bike work so well for me..I need quite a number of rides to really figure out how a bike works for me.

The only bad things I have heard are the frames with the carbon stays had breakage issues, mine started as a Slayer 30 and has no carbon parts in the frame set.

Well, anyway if you want to check it out, I can be found either at Hawes or SoMo 3-4 nights a week.
    Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I'd love to check it out. I'll PM ya and try to catch up with you next week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 5bravobravo

Not true about local support! 3 of the best bike shops in Az stock and service Rocky! Rage Cycles, Slippery Pig, and Arizona Cyclist. Try the SXC, you will love it. But the new Slayer is amazing. Got to check it out when the demo truck came thru a few months ago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I guess i got my years mixed up. The 2010 slayer was a good bike, but the 2011 is fcking incredible! The 2011 release is supposedly going to be november from what i last heard.

Also, even though Rocky is only carried by a handful of dealers, they have been very good about supporting their dealers. I'm sure any of the above shops can take care of whatever support needs that may arise.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.