mtbr member

Rocky Mountain High.

Out on my annual pilgrimage to the Rocky Mountains for some cool weather and high altitude single track. Started off in Durango on Saturday the 25th of May.

I started off by riding north on the highway towards Purgatory to ride Hermosa Creek back. Got right in the middle of the Iron Horse race. 4,000 road bikes racing the train to Silverton. Managed to pull off and watch it go by. Amazing amount of bikes. The first 10% usually beat the train. There are 2 passes over 10K on route, Molas and Coal Bank.

Rode Hermosa, Barn Sale and some of the Colorado Trail. (Hermosa pictured)

Rocky Mountain High.-photo-4.jpg

Drove on to Glenwood Springs. This is a cycling Holy Grail. Soo much to ride and so little time. Rode from Glenwood to Vail on the bike trail that runs along the Colorado River.

Rocky Mountain High.-photo-5.jpg

Good spin, all paved epic scenery.

Here. I learned something that Arizona lacks, a mindset. Cycling is woven into the fabric of society in Colorado. It truly represents a lifestyle here. In Arizona we have a devoted community, but here it is seemingly part of everything. The picture is the bike path to Vail, it winds and criss crosses interstate 70 many times. It goes thru tunnels, over bridges. The city fathers are obviously tuned into the vibe. Arizona is, and will always be home, I think we as a community can and should petition our city councils to learn from Colorado.

We have tough summers, they have tough winters. Our opportunities only are limited by our determination and imaginations. Imagine riding from Phoenix to Tucson or perhaps to Prescott, Sedona and Flag without ever crossing a road or highway. Whether paved, gravel or other makes no difference. A commitment is what we lack.

More to come. Time to Ride

Steve
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    There are tunnels under the 51 and Cave Creek Rode in PMP.....so that's kinda cool. I can ride from 44th st to 7th Ave without crossing a road!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i'll bet shoveling is more deeply woven into their society and lifestyle than cycling is.
    we can always get up early,, they have major roadways impassable half the year

mtbr member

Part 2

After riding to Vail yesterday morning, I talked to the guy that owns the RV Park I'm at. he told me of a trail just across I-70 called "No Name". It started as a dirt road to a water treatment shed for the homes around here. My afternoon appointment awaited.

Single track started in ernest. It was narrow rocky lots of HAB. It went from 6K to 9K in no time. It followed a rushing river and was extremely steep and only about 50% ridable.

Rocky Mountain High.-photo-6.jpg

Lots of water crossings, none ridable, but all enjoyable. Dark timber was awesome. A few hikers. not really a bike trail.

This morning rode halfway back to Vail to a trailhead I saw. It was simply a vehicle pullout with some cars parked with bike racks on them. A series of menacing swithbacks took me abruptly above the timberline. My iPhone altimitere said 9873' ? At least above the pines to sage brush country.

This week has reinforced one thing, there are only two directions here. up and down. there is precious little time wasted with such luxuries as traversing.

Rocky Mountain High.-photo-2.jpg

For my afternoon ride, i wanted something easy and fun. So....go to the LBS.....right?

It went something like this,

LBS; Where ya from

Me; Phoenix

LBS; Ya like climbing?

Me; Is there anything else here?

LBS; Not really, Can ya handle exposure?

Me; Oh yeah, I ride BCT

LBS; OK, Boy Scout is for you.

Me; Ok, where is it.

At this point we had to walk outside because from inside he couldn't point high enough.

LBS; you see that up there above the Hot Springs?

Me; you mean that little ribbon looking thing up there?

LBS; Yup.

I found the trailhead, there were no cars, which gave me pause, not normal here.

I rode the first climb out which was a brute, followed by a long traverse
    of off camber single track about 4 inches wide.

Rocky Mountain High.-photo-3.jpg

I was now at least 1000 vertical above Glenwood Springs.

Rocky Mountain High.-photo-8.jpg

Leaving for Aspen tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Hi Mike,
    Yes, we can get up early and ride. But, I am sleeping till I want to get up and doing a morning ride and an afternoon ride.

I get it, It's not year round. Great vibe in all these towns.

Steve

Kathleen in AZ
    neato! Love the looks of that Boy Scout trail above Glenwood Springs.

mtbr member
    I also wish biking was a little more like what you are saying. I do think that the Maricopa Trail is a pretty good start though. I live in Waddell, and work at 3rd Ave and Jefferson in Phoenix. Once the trail is complete, I will probably ride to work on mostly dirt. I just gotta find a way from the trail to my office with the least traffic.

Work is actually sending me to Golden, CO soon. This just got me more excited to go.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Alive and Lurkin'

Rocky Mountain High.

In Aspen the Government Trail is must (ridden from Snowmass to Buttermilk) but see if you can get some intel on the Arbaney-Kittle Trail lots of miles way back in the woods...

Sent using Tap N Stalk
    Pumpin & Pimpin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I also wish biking was a little more like what you are saying. I do think that the Maricopa Trail is a pretty good start though. I live in Waddell, and work at 3rd Ave and Jefferson in Phoenix. Once the trail is complete, I will probably ride to work on mostly dirt. I just gotta find a way from the trail to my office with the least traffic.

Work is actually sending me to Golden, CO soon. This just got me more excited to go.
    A guy here told me I could ride from here in GS all the way to Denver, never ride on one road (160 miles)

Quote Originally Posted by Jibro View Post
    In Aspen the Government Trail is must (ridden from Snowmass to Buttermilk) but see if you can get some intel on the Arbaney-Kittle Trail lots of miles way back in the woods...

Sent using Tap N Stalk
    The biggest problem I have is sensory overload. Just to many choices to make. I don't know the name of the road but I think it's called Maroon Bells road, from Aspen up to the Bells. Big, Big Road climb. Gonna get the beta in the morning, thanks for the tips.

Thanks,

Steve

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    One of my favorite towns..Glenwood Springs. Nice pics and write up!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Give it a crank
    That's pretty cool, I had to add it to my ever growing to-do trails list, thanks!

My other ride is your mom
    I love goat path trails...thanks for the pics!

mtbr member
    good stuff man... nice that have a good ole arizona boy show them Colorado potheads how to ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    good stuff man... nice that have a good ole arizona boy show them Colorado potheads how to ride
    Hi Bart,

There is so many places to ride, you don't see many folks on the trail. I think that guy at the LBS might have sent me up there just to see if he could get the old guy to bite.

Steve

mtbr member
    Aspen was a trip, what a bunch of snobs. Not a good vibe. You're either a rich dude or you work in the service industry that services the rich. I rode the road up to Maroon Bells and called it good. It's a real grind. Nice view.

Rocky Mountain High.-photo-12.jpg

Left there and continued on. decided on a change of scenery.

Any guesses???

Rocky Mountain High.-photo-13.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post
    Out on my annual pilgrimage to the Rocky Mountains for some cool weather and high altitude single track. Started off in Durango on Saturday the 25th of May.

Here. I learned something that Arizona lacks, a mindset. Cycling is woven into the fabric of society in Colorado. It truly represents a lifestyle here. In Arizona we have a devoted community, but here it is seemingly part of everything. The picture is the bike path to Vail, it winds and criss crosses interstate 70 many times. It goes thru tunnels, over bridges. The city fathers are obviously tuned into the vibe. Arizona is, and will always be home, I think we as a community can and should petition our city councils to learn from Colorado.

We have tough summers, they have tough winters. Our opportunities only are limited by our determination and imaginations. Imagine riding from Phoenix to Tucson or perhaps to Prescott, Sedona and Flag without ever crossing a road or highway. Whether paved, gravel or other makes no difference. A commitment is what we lack.

More to come. Time to Ride

Steve
    Great post, Steve. Thanks for posting all those cool pictures, too! I totally agree with you. I just spent a week MTBing in Park City, UT. They sure have the cycling (road/MTB/XC/DH) mindset! Great trails, paths that go under the roads, by the roads, etc... Cyclists and I swear 1 out of every 5 cars had a bike rack! Found this at one of the trailheads and almost couldn't believe it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rocky Mountain High.-img_1216.jpg  

Rocky Mountain High.-img_1217.jpg  

Rocky Mountain High.-img_1218.jpg  

-boom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    i'll bet shoveling is more deeply woven into their society and lifestyle than cycling is.
    we can always get up early,, they have major roadways impassable half the year
    I agree with Mike, too. Seems like the perfect blend is Winter in AZ and Summer up there in CO or UT!! :-)
    -boom

mtbr member
    Yeah Boomvader,
    it is a different mindset for sure. I think you're incorrect though, I saw bike racks on about 60%

Since there were no guesses, It is the Porcupine Rim trail in Moab. I started in Moab, rode the PAVED BIKE PATH out of town to the Porcupine Rim Trailhead. Rode to the top, where it intersects the Kokopelli trail. Rode it back into Moab on Sand Flats road. it was a long day, ran out of water, begged for an apple and some water from some cool jeep guys. It was too hot for that route but it was an awesome ride.

This is the last picture of bicycle specific infrastructure I offer. If Moab can find the funding for a (separate) bike specific path along the green river, i think some of our municipalities could surely be convinced to follow along.

Rocky Mountain High.-photo-9.jpg

Thanks to the Rocky Mountains!!!

Steve

recovering roadie
    Steve - Did you do that Porcupine ride on Monday? I was driving through Moab at about 1 or 2 pm and saw somebody riding a bike that looks like yours out in the hot hot heat southbound on 191 north of the town proper. I thought "that dude is crazy."

I was in a dark blue Yukon with two bikes up on top.

mtbr member
    Hi Dobbs,

Yeah, that was probably me. I was completely tanked after that fiasco.
    I left my Motorhome about 7:30, rode to the Porcupine Rim trailhead down the Green River. Rode up the PRT to Kokopelli Trail. Took Kokopelli to Sand Flats Road, past the Slickrock trailhead lot and back into town.

Got back early afternoon. Had to beg for water and food out on the trail from some guys in Jeeps. It was way hotter than I expected out on that red rock. I figured, "Heck, I'm from Phoenix, I can handle anything"

Worked out pretty good, need to learn how to ride when I am really uncomfortable and mentally don't want to be on the bike.

Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post
    Hi Dobbs,

Yeah, that was probably me. I was completely tanked after that fiasco.
    I left my Motorhome about 7:30, rode to the Porcupine Rim trailhead down the Green River. Rode up the PRT to Kokopelli Trail. Took Kokopelli to Sand Flats Road, past the Slickrock trailhead lot and back into town.

Got back early afternoon. Had to beg for water and food out on the trail from some guys in Jeeps. It was way hotter than I expected out on that red rock. I figured, "Heck, I'm from Phoenix, I can handle anything"

Worked out pretty good, need to learn how to ride when I am really uncomfortable and mentally don't want to be on the bike.

Steve
    You must have been cooked. It's the Colorado River. Although some have made the case that it should be a tributary to the Green. Kudos to you for doing that ride in early June.

Are you going in the backway to Crested Butte or staying in the I70 corridor?
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Really? I thought that was the green river. I guess I need a geography lesson. No, we drove home down the 191 to Kayenta, Flagstaff and on home.

We were out for about 16 days? Started in Durango-Alamosa-Co. Springs-Ft. Collins-Denver-Glenwood Springs () Aspen-Vernal-Moab. Home.

Vernal Utah had some cool trails built by the locals, McCoy Flats. They had some real promise but I was pinched for time and only did one called "Milk and Cookies".

I was thinking while away about putting together a similar trip for like minded cyclist's next year. Hitting all the epic MTB places on a whirlwind tour of the rockies, perhaps a 10 day trip? 4-6 folks Ride all day, drive from place to place evenings to maximize riding.