Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 201 to 231 of 231
  1. #201
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphic View Post
    ANY half way decent shooting class is worth taking. Lots of people think they can shoot till they spend some time getting training, at which point they realize how scary and inept they were before.
    Very true !!!

    And for those who don't know ... Each class (CCW/Shooting) is very different in purpose.

  2. #202
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    I have never said I wanted to empty a clip because I was in a legal position to do so! Matter of fact I would hate to take a life period. But would defend the life of another or myself if I had to do so.

    I did ride today.
    He's referring to the POS Mike.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  3. #203
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Iv'e been a playboy most of my life. Reading this makes me feel bad about myself. Never got anyone pregnant though. You are correct with what you said.
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with a young man having fun. Or a man of any age having fun. If you want to play the field and you're moderately careful about it, I don't really see anything wrong with that. It's just mostly the absentee father/ complete lack of a male influence that I have issues with.

    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Then there are some of us who don't mind guns, support the ownership of guns, but are a bit perplexed that there are some on the board who are just itching to unload on someone "bad" because it would be "legal". There are some here that are probably not being wise with their word. If they are in the unfortunate situation of having to use deadly force (especially one where there may be no armed assailant and only two witnesses -- one alive and one dead), there is no doubt this thread will be read in a court of law and published in the Republic. And it's probably not going to help you...


    Now, let's go ride bikes.....
    Si vis pacem, para bellum. If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

    Nobody carries a gun because they want to use it. 99% of all people who carry would be extremely happy to carry their whole life and never use it. Nobody walks around like Dirty Harry wanting their day made. Do you own a fire extinguisher because you want your house to catch fire? Do you wear your seat belt because you want to get hit? Do you have insurance because you want to get sick? No, nobody does. Carrying a gun is the same thing. You hope to God you never need it, but when you do, there is no substitute.

    And really, who is going to go and hunt down my MTBR name and look through all my posts on the off chance I made a comment about hoping an armed robber got the receiving end of Mozambique drill? We're talking about Arizona here. If you shoot an armed robber, you get the badge of honor. I just read the bio on the Maricopa County DA. He's a Castle Doctrine supporter who doesn't seem to have much soft feelings for criminal dirtbags. You honestly think he's going to sic the dogs on you if you act within the law and shoot somebody who had it coming? Get real.

  4. #204
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,496
    On Christmas, near the A/W house, I had an old man fan his shirt at me. It was so cute, I had to laugh. Gave him a fit about staying orange or going yellow .
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

  5. #205
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    He's referring to the POS Mike.
    Was watching CNN last night and they had Sheriff Babeu on discussing the gun issue. I can't prove this to be true or not, but 20K dang!

    Babeu went on to say that he believes new gun laws are not the solution.
    "We have a people problem, not a gun problem. The reality is there will be little if any change in gun laws, which is not the solution anyway. We have over 20,000 laws and regulations on firearms, yet none of them prevented these mass killings. Criminals, mentally ill mass killers and terrorists do not follow current law and they certainly will not follow any future laws.

    http://www.brookings.edu/es/urban/pu...s/gunbook4.pdf
    Last edited by Cycle64; 12-28-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  6. #206
    bland
    Reputation: m77ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,289

    Idea! The most well thought out schemata exist on internet message forums.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Nobody carries a gun because they want to use it.
    So, uhh... you're going to stand behind this statement?

    Please go on.

    You might be the most wise 26 year old on the internet.

    Do you have some youtube vids to share with us? Those always make perfect sense, why else would they be on youtube?

  7. #207
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Nobody carries a gun because they want to use it.
    So, uhh... you're going to stand behind this statement?

    Please go on.

    You might be the most wise 26 year old on the internet.

    Do you have some youtube vids to share with us? Those always make perfect sense, why else would they be on youtube?
    At least he can comprehend what he reads

    I'd say he's pretty darn wise to be making such a factual statement.

    Personally,
    I think the fire extinguisher reference should have made this perfectly clear ... Heck of a way to state the obvious, IMO.

  8. #208
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,046
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    At least he can comprehend what he reads

    I'd say he's pretty darn wise to be making such a factual statement.

    Personally,
    I think the fire extinguisher reference should have made this perfectly clear ... Heck of a way to state the obvious, IMO.
    so, just to troll a little, why are some people resistant to the idea of a gun safe? wouldnt that follow this notion of smart precautions, and be consistent wtih the common-sense approach in the 4 core rules of gun safety?

  9. #209
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    so, just to troll a little, why are some people resistant to the idea of a gun safe? wouldnt that follow this notion of smart precautions, and be consistent wtih the common-sense approach in the 4 core rules of gun safety?
    I'm not opposed to them. I doubt you'll find many people who are. I don't support the state saying it's mandatory that you own a safe, or that you have to use a trigger lock at all times. That defeats the whole purpose of having a gun. When I graduated high school, I actually had my folks go in for halfsies on a safe as a present.

    If there's an argument to be made against safes, it's that they prevent immediate access in the event of an emergency. Don't want somebody in the house and you have to fumble with a safe to get a weapon. Easiest way around that is to just put your regular CCW piece on the nightstand when you go to bed. You've got immediate access, and it's never really outside your direct control.

  10. #210
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I'm not opposed to them. I doubt you'll find many people who are. I don't support the state saying it's mandatory that you own a safe, or that you have to use a trigger lock at all times. That defeats the whole purpose of having a gun. When I graduated high school, I actually had my folks go in for halfsies on a safe as a present.

    If there's an argument to be made against safes, it's that they prevent immediate access in the event of an emergency. Don't want somebody in the house and you have to fumble with a safe to get a weapon. Easiest way around that is to just put your regular CCW piece on the nightstand when you go to bed. You've got immediate access, and it's never really outside your direct control.
    agreed with your above comment. My point was more in response to, for example, the post yesterday from LongHair about the kid in Mesa who's parents acted pretty darn responsibly under the circumstances. I think its reasonable to consider certain requirements for safes, esp if you have people with known problems in your house. Or at least penalties if you dont and they commit a crime with your weapon. Also think its reasonable to consider insurance adjustments for safes\non-safes, but that more a private business decision by the insurance co's.

    Perhaps your opinions on this will change when you have kids. I often work in bed and leave my laptop next to the bed, kids have knocked it over or knocked water onto it etc while stumbling around in the night. But, that is a personal choice for you to make - there its not even an issue of bad parenting as much as young kids doing what young kids do.

  11. #211
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    so, just to troll a little, why are some people resistant to the idea of a gun safe? wouldnt that follow this notion of smart precautions, and be consistent wtih the common-sense approach in the 4 core rules of gun safety?
    I don't know anyone who is opposed to a gun safe.
    I have a pretty good size one, filled with stuff

    But the go-to/carry gun is typically, never in that safe ... If I were to need it, I'd probably need it immediately.
    Then again,
    The wife and I both agree that nothing in the house is worth a life ... Except a life ... So vacate if possible, and accept the result of the decision as a personal choice.

    Concerning your further comments about kids and guns ... There is a bit of common sense that needs to be used by the parents, and the kids need to IMO be taught what a gun is, what it can do, and how to use one, if the need should ever arise.

    Your laptop is a prime example ... It might be damaged by the kids, but it does not possess the ability to become a lethal weapon, by itself.
    A gun does not, by itself, possess the ability to become a lethal weapon either ... It requires human interaction.

    Don't take this personal but,
    Do your kids make withdrawls from your checking account with that laptop ?
    If/when they start ... You'll probably be more concerned about keeping it where they cannot access it ... Or, you'll teach them that it is not a toy


    The thing is ... It's all about personal responsibility, and the choices we make ... If a parent is unable to determine the maturity level of their child, and teach to that maturity level ... Bad things usually happen (and that's not just guns).

    Spilling water on that laptop, that was left on/by the bed ... Your fault

    Leaving a gun where a child can gain easy access ... You get the idea !!
    Last edited by bikeabuser; 12-28-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Clarification/spelling

  12. #212
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    So, uhh... you're going to stand behind this statement?

    Please go on.

    You might be the most wise 26 year old on the internet.

    Do you have some youtube vids to share with us? Those always make perfect sense, why else would they be on youtube?
    My experience is that people tend to project massively on this issue.

    Peaceable folks with high levels of self control have no trouble embracing the idea that one could carry a gun without any desire to use it.

    People who have self-control issues, out of control tempers, walt mitty types, or those with latent sociopathic tendencies, have a great deal of trouble accepting the idea that any person could carry a gun with benign motivations.

    The former can usually find it in themselves to understand the latter. But not the reverse.

  13. #213
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,046
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeabuser View Post
    I don't know anyone who is opposed to a gun safe.
    I have a pretty good size one, filled with stuff

    But the go-to/carry gun is typically, never in that safe ... If I were to need it, I'd probably need it immediately.
    Then again,
    The wife and I both agree that nothing in the house is worth a life ... Except a life ... So vacate if possible, and accept the action of the decision as a personal choice.

    Concerning your further comments about kids and guns ... There is a bit of common sense that needs to be used by the parents, and the kids need to IMO be taught what a gun is, what it can do, and how to use one, if the need should ever arise.

    The thing is ... It's all about personal responsibility, and the choices we make ... If a parent is unable to determine the maturity level of their child, and teach to that maturity level ... Bad things usually happen (and that's not just guns).
    i agree completely. With little kids, you can not trust them younger than a certain level. And even then, when they are sleepy and coming into your BR, they act younger.

  14. #214
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Perhaps your opinions on this will change when you have kids. I often work in bed and leave my laptop next to the bed, kids have knocked it over or knocked water onto it etc while stumbling around in the night. But, that is a personal choice for you to make - there its not even an issue of bad parenting as much as young kids doing what young kids do.
    I'll preface this by saying that I am indeed childless, and I have limited experience with small children. That said, it's pretty commonly accepted that one of the better ways to have kids not be curious about guns is to give them a lot of exposure to them. Take them shooting, teach them safe handling, unload it and let them hold it, manipulate it. Take the mystery out of them. In Europe, kids are raised around alcohol, and drinking is just a part of life. In the US, it's bad, bad, bad, bad, until you turn 21, then it's "go at it." Is there any wonder why the US as such rates of alcohol abuse?

    Take the mystery and taboo out of something and a kid will be a lot less tempted to mess with it, just to see what the fuss is about.

  15. #215
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I'll preface this by saying that I am indeed childless, and I have limited experience with small children. That said, it's pretty commonly accepted that one of the better ways to have kids not be curious about guns is to give them a lot of exposure to them. Take them shooting, teach them safe handling, unload it and let them hold it, manipulate it. Take the mystery out of them. In Europe, kids are raised around alcohol, and drinking is just a part of life. In the US, it's bad, bad, bad, bad, until you turn 21, then it's "go at it." Is there any wonder why the US as such rates of alcohol abuse?

    Take the mystery and taboo out of something and a kid will be a lot less tempted to mess with it, just to see what the fuss is about.
    for sure. but I'd say ~6 is about as soon as you can, until then you truly have an accident waiting to happen. Basing my decision here on about when my older one (almost 7) could start being trusted to have some space on her bike, to use the computer or smart phone without direct supervision, etc.

  16. #216
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,559
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    That said, it's pretty commonly accepted that one of the better ways to have kids not be curious about guns is to give them a lot of exposure to them. Take them shooting, teach them safe handling, unload it and let them hold it, manipulate it. Take the mystery out of them.
    I agree 100%. My kids were taught safe firearm discipline at a young age and we've been shooting various handguns and long guns for years. I could leave a gun out on the counter and they never even looked twice at it.

  17. #217
    live long and huck
    Reputation: Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,559
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    for sure. but I'd say ~6 is about as soon as you can, until then you truly have an accident waiting to happen.
    My boys were around 10-12 when I allowed them to start gun handling. By 12-14 they were both quite good marksman, and exhibited very safe habits.

  18. #218
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    I'll just add that at age 5, I found my dad's 38 while looking for Christmas presents ... Snicker Snicker

    I already knew it was not a thing to mess with, and my search stopped for the day.

    Cholla,
    I hit your blog ... Awesome pictures, and great looking kids ... You must be very proud !!!

  19. #219
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    23,999
    3 police shot today in a police station, one in critical condition. We must arm the police.

    Point: whatever it is we should be doing about gun violence, we ain't doing it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  20. #220
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    3 police shot today in a police station, one in critical condition. We must arm the police.

    Point: whatever it is we should be doing about gun violence, we ain't doing it.
    Very true. It's a systematic failure within our society that I can't address in a few sentences.

    Chicago just reached 500 murders (all gun murders?? IDK) and Chi-town has some of the strictest gun regulation laws in the country from what I understand. More regulation is not addressing the root cause. There is no way to debate that fact imo.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 12-28-2012 at 06:16 PM.

  21. #221
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    3 police shot today in a police station, one in critical condition. We must arm the police.

    Point: whatever it is we should be doing about gun violence, we ain't doing it.
    Sounds like suicide-by-cop.

  22. #222
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AKA Monkeybutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Very true. It's a systematic failure of our society.

    Chicago just reached 500 murders (all gun murders?? IDK) and Chi-town has some of the strictest gun regulation laws in the country from what I understand. More regulation is not addressing the root cause. There is no way to debate that fact imo.
    Chicago had crazy tight gun laws. I had to have a federal gun card just to own a shotgun. Guns were not allowed at all in the city if I remember correctly. Transportation of guns was a cluster F. Looks like all those gun laws are working out great.

    I just read an article about mass stabbings in China. Sounds grand

  23. #223
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt View Post
    Chicago had crazy tight gun laws. I had to have a federal gun card just to own a shotgun. Guns were not allowed at all in the city if I remember correctly. Transportation of guns was a cluster F. Looks like all those gun laws are working out great.

    I just read an article about mass stabbings in China. Sounds grand
    From the Chicago Sun Times:

    Largely contributing to the spike was the unusual number of homicides that occurred during the early part of the year, when the city experienced unseasonable warmth. In the first three months of the year, homicides ran about 60 percent ahead of the 2011 rate.

    So are we blaming the weather? MORE weather legislation should fix that!

  24. #224
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081
    People are hacked to death with machetes after their wives are gang raped in 3rd world countries. I'm pretty sure that's illegal in even those places, yet it doesn't make it not happen.

    My point: Being impoverished is part of the problem. Look at the murders in Chicago and then look at who's committing the vast majority of them. I'm not throwing a racial card out there, just the 'impoverished' card and the 'lack of family' card.

    How on earth do we fix that?????

    Other mass murders in the US are committed by teens a 20 somethings that feel isolated and out of touch with the world. Again...the question is "how do we fix that????"

    I'm out, this topic is too big and far reaching for debate on mtbr.

  25. #225
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,605
    Big_games - Outstanding story bro!!
    Who are you going to pick to play you in the HBO movie?
    I hope you have an agent.



    P.S. Fck the gun debate! Haven't you mthrfkers had enough of that sht every single place you happen to look these days?

    I come hear to read about much less important issues

  26. #226
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tysonnemb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,079
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Big_games - Outstanding story bro!!
    Who are you going to pick to play you in the HBO movie?
    I hope you have an agent.



    P.S. Fck the gun debate! Haven't you mthrfkers had enough of that sht every single place you happen to look these days?

    I come hear to read about much less important issues
    Exactly. Couldn't agree more.

  27. #227
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,033
    Like moths to a flame LOL

  28. #228
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    Babeu went on to say that he believes new gun laws are not the solution.
    "We have a people problem, not a gun problem.
    Sweet biscuits! I think I said that earlier? Looks like me and Babeau and some serious idiots.

    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Chicago just reached 500 murders (all gun murders?? IDK) and Chi-town has some of the strictest gun regulation laws in the country from what I understand.
    One thing to consider when you look at figures of how many death occur is WHO was actually murdered? If the majority of those deaths are hoodlums, and I'd almost guarantee they are, then who really cares?

    The anti-gun crowd throw around numbers of how many "children" are killed each year by gunfire. They use "children" because everyone loves the children. And if you like guns then you obviously hate children since guns kill children. And people who hate children are bad, evil, and not to be trusted.

    They don't tell you that children is ANY person under 18. They don't edit out the justifiable deaths which are not murders. And they don't tell you that a majority of those deaths are hoodlums killing hoodlums. That's a good thing. Unfortunately, they don't always have sh|t for aim.

    And, one thing to also consider is that just because you are not charged for or cleared of a shooting it doesn't mean you are free. You will most certainly face the scumbag's survivors suing you for wrongful death. You may likely beat it but it may cost you plenty to fight it. And, it's much easier for the scumbags to win that case vs. a criminal case.

  29. #229
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post

    One thing to consider when you look at figures of how many death occur is WHO was actually murdered? If the majority of those deaths are hoodlums, and I'd almost guarantee they are, then who really cares?
    I'd have to go back and read my post but I'm sure that was my point. A heavily controlled gun area has a high gun rate b/c of 'hoodlums', not law abiding people. And the reason to care is exactly because it skews the numbers and makes it easy for the talking heads to spew misinformation. This benefits no one but heavily sways the political tide....which in the end directly affects you.

    I just read the other day that according to the FBI records (sorry can't remember the acronym for the goup) that 2.5% of all gun murders are committed with a rifle. They do not distinguish an AR-15 or other military style weapons..as the media likes to call them, from any other rifle like a 30/30. So we can assume crimes with 'military' style weapons is much lower than 2.5%. That being said what the heck is a gun ban on military style weapons gonna do? The general public is just afraid of these weapons b/c the media uses them as a talking point, for dramatic intent. Most of the time they themselves have no idea what they are talking about.

    A ban on these weapons makes people who know no better, feel better...and that's what drives politicians. Not safety.

    Not sure where I'm headed with this, lol. It's just frustrating.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 01-01-2013 at 09:08 PM.

  30. #230
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,782
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I'd have to go back and read my post but I'm sure that was my point. A heavily controlled gun area has a high gun rate b/c of 'hoodlums', not law abiding people. And the reason to care is exactly because it skews the numbers and makes it easy for the talking heads to spew misinformation. This benefits no one but heavily sways the political tide....which in the end directly affects you.
    I'm glad you clarified because I did not get that point from your post.

    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    A ban on these weapons makes people who know no better, feel better...and that's what drives politicians. Not safety.
    This is exactly it. Politicians pass gun laws, or laws aimed at violence, mostly to make people FEEL safe. They, of course, also want to FEEL like they are doing something when they have no power to do so.

    Laws make people FEEL safe, not BE safe.

  31. #231
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I'm glad you clarified because I did not get that point from your post.


    This is exactly it. Politicians pass gun laws, or laws aimed at violence, mostly to make people FEEL safe. They, of course, also want to FEEL like they are doing something when they have no power to do so.

    Laws make people FEEL safe, not BE safe.
    And to my point according to the FBI stats more murders were committed by 'personal weapons', meaning hands, fists, feet than by rifles. Again the term rifles includes military style weapons.

    I don't have a direct FBI link but...

    Crime Stats: You are more likely to be killed by hands and feet than by a shotgun or rifle | The Daily Caller

    Total murders by hands and feet in 2011 exceeded the total number of murders by shotgun and rifle

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •