Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    First off, good beating.

Second, where was your gun and how come you didn't use it on him? This was in AZ, right?
    weight issue for me,

damn you Reagan and your BAN on plastic guns !

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yeah, too much has to go perfectly right to count on those things. Plus, if it's that easy to discharge from inside your camelback, you're likely going to have bigger problems when it goes off because you fell. Keeping it inside your camelback renders it fairly useless. If you put it in your pocket while you were riding through ghetto-land, then maybe not nearly as much, but just putting it in the camelback is only going to make you feel better IMO. Having it in a holster on your body is really the only way this would be practical and give you any change of producing it, and even then your first instinct shouldn't be to shoot someone (like the guy in the truck that killed the biker) just because they are yelling and waving. Too many bad outcomes for no reason. Please defend yourself, and do so with deadly force if you feel your life is truly threatened and there is no way out that would allow you to avoid possibly losing your life, but don't be fooled by a false sense of security or take measures that don't actually decrease the risk.
    Great post. Important to consider all of this if you carry.

My other ride is your mom
    Glad things worked out in the end.....I would suggest an addendum to the first rule of Zombieland.....no stops on the canal route....stops riding up Natty are acceptable...and until we see muggings halfway up the climb on Bell Pass, I think we're safe on singletrack and no need to pack.

Lakvoodoo
    Wow, what a story! Glad you're ok!
    Get Outside!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Glad things worked out in the end.....I would suggest an addendum to the first rule of Zombieland.....no stops on the canal route....
    I'm assuming you've never been to OHSO?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    I'm assuming you've never been to OHSO?
    That's a loaded question....you KNOW I've been to OHSO.....in fact, the first ride I ever took on my 429 was on the canal to OHSO, in all sorts of mental space-time paradigms, which resulted in my first wreck on the 429.....a nasty 2 inch curb which at the time was looking rather droll.

My point is this.....how often does someone on this board get robbed of their bike at gunpoint? Since I've been a contributor on this board....this is a first. Now, look at that singular data pointt against the amount of drunken Thursday night rides and overall debauchery rides and otherwise, sober commuting rides through this city.

If you can't draw my inference.....then......well......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    That's a loaded question....you KNOW I've been to OHSO.....in fact, the first ride I ever took on my 429 was on the canal to OHSO, in all sorts of mental space-time paradigms, which resulted in my first wreck on the 429.....a nasty 2 inch curb which at the time was looking rather droll.

My point is this.....how often does someone on this board get robbed of their bike at gunpoint? Since I've been a contributor on this board....this is a first. Now, look at that singular data pointt against the amount of drunken Thursday night rides and overall debauchery rides and otherwise, sober commuting rides through this city.

If you can't draw my inference.....then......well......
    Actually, I don't understand about 50% of what you write .

mtbr member
    Actually, I don't understand about 50% of what you write .
    You don't speak Maad???????????????

Notice how many ?'s I got

Nor­wegr
    Nice story, though I'm left wondering if that's a recent mugshot. A five day period would not heal the beating you gave him, it just doesn't add up to his unmolested face unless you were wearing a teletubbie-suit with extra padding on the fists.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Nice story, though I'm left wondering if that's a recent mugshot. A five day period would not heal the beating you gave him, it just doesn't add up to his unmolested face unless you were wearing a teletubbie-suit with extra padding on the fists.
    here's how I see this story:

Dear Penthouse, i'd never thought it'd happen to me, I kicked a bike thief's a$$, sent him to jail, and then got banged by 2 girls at once.

I care not for any reality checks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    here's how i see this story:

dear penthouse, i'd never thought it'd happen to me, i kicked a bike thief's a$$, sent him to jail, and then got banged by 2 girls at once.

i care not for any reality checks!
    lol.

Meatbomb
    Don't you mean banged 2 girls while kicking a bike thief's ass ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    thats what I'm wondering... If that was an earlier mugshot or not. I got in numerous good punches to both sides of the head and the back of his head was slammed into the pavement quite a few times. Not to mention chocking him. In the arresting report it said he had visible injuries consistent to my story.

Either way... I have 2 horrendous bite marks to my left arm that even after nearly 3 months are quite visible. And to answer the other posters question... My eye is fine now. I did suffer an eye hemorrhage that resulted in blurred vision for almost 2 days and the eye was completely red for a week after.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Games View Post
    thats what I'm wondering... If that was an earlier mugshot or not. I got in numerous good punches to both sides of the head and the back of his head was slammed into the pavement quite a few times. Not to mention chocking him. In the arresting report it said he had visible injuries consistent to my story.

Either way... I have 2 horrendous bite marks to my left arm that even after nearly 3 months are quite visible. And to answer the other posters question... My eye is fine now. I did suffer an eye hemorrhage that resulted in blurred vision for almost 2 days and the eye was completely red for a week after.
    Should'a ripped one of his ears off for that .
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

parenting for gnarness
    hey folks there was a recommendation earlier in this thread for a very small automatic that someone used while riding, but I don't see it now after re-reading. might have been the springfield xd but dont recall.

anyway, interested in any additional suggestions for something small to put in the camelback. Good comments so far from Jayem, EazyE and some others thank you.

mtbr member
    hey folks there was a recommendation earlier in this thread for a very small automatic that someone used while riding, but I don't see it now after re-reading. might have been the springfield xd but dont recall.

anyway, interested in any additional suggestions for something small to put in the camelback. Good comments so far from Jayem, EazyE and some others thank you.
    Check your PM's

banned
    Aug 2012

It's worthless to put it in a backpack of any kind ... If you're gonna carry ... Get a holster, practice drawing and shooting, and do it right.

P.S.
    The XD is a great gun ... I've got over 12,000 rounds through a XD9 and my only failures (3) were ammo related.

ETA:
    To the OP ... Glad you made it out alive, and sorry about the loss.

mtbr member

If you want the lightest and most compact, go for the Kel Tec PF-9. Only problem is, if you want to simulate shooting it, open your palm and whack it nice and hard with a broom stick.

I've got an XD-45, and it's got get ergonomics, but it's filled with lawyer features. It's got a grip safety, a stand alone loaded chamber indicator, and a striker indicator. Roll mark the instruction manual on the slide and it'd be like a Ruger. The grip safety is an issue too, since the slide won't open unless it's fully depressed. That could be a problem if you need to clear a malf under stress.

Honestly, I'd go with a Glock 19 for a do-all pistol, assuming the ergonomics of it are tolerable to you. The G19's grip is a little small for me. The G17 is great for me, but it's length makes it harder to conceal. Pull trigger, it fires. Pull trigger, it fires. Repeat as needed. The trigger is the same every time, and there's no safeties to disengage before it'll fire.

EDR

I didn't read this thread just saw this question, so forgive me if it's been covered a dozen times.

Why an auto? Just curious.
    Anyhow a small 5 or 6 round hammer-less revolver(.38 or .357mag) would be nice. Something like the Smith and Wesson M$P series. No hammer to get caught in the pocket or pack and it's a revolver so you point, pull trigger and it fires. If for some crazy reason you have a bad round there is nothing to clear, just pull the trigger again and it fires. No fuss, no muss, no safeties and nothing to get jammed or to try and clear and that's nice if stressed, I'm sure.

Point and shoot baby!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I didn't read this thread just saw this question, so forgive me if it's been covered a dozen times.

Why an auto? Just curious.
    Anyhow a small 5 or 6 round hammer-less revolver(.38 or .357mag) would be nice. Something like the Smith and Wesson M$P series. No hammer to get caught in the pocket or pack and it's a revolver so you point, pull trigger and it fires. If for some crazy reason you have a bad round there is nothing to clear, just pull the trigger again and it fires. No fuss, no muss, no safeties and nothing to get jammed or to try and clear and that's nice if stressed, I'm sure.

Point and shoot baby!
    I've pretty much decided this is all that's needed, unless one is willing to strap on a rifle or lug around a full-sized auto. Not enough capacity? Carry two.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    I've pretty much decided this is all that's needed, unless one is willing to strap on a rifle or lug around a full-sized auto. Not enough capacity? Carry two.
    Yeah, capacity is limited but If I carried, and I don't, all I want protection from is what's likely to happen...a quick, point blank confrontation with a bad guy. I'd imagine if shots were fired (by me) or returned by me one or both of us would be running away from each other pretty quickly if not mortally wounded..and that would be that. I doubt many crackheads will stick around after hearing 5 cracks of a sub 2'' barrel .357 just feet from their head.

I wouldn't bother planning for a sustained gun fight where I need 19 rounds and a second clip just in case there is more. That's the stuff I'd be prepared for if it were my job to deal with thugs on a daily basis though.

mtbr member
    You guys ever see those flash mob videos? Bunch of worthless teenagers/young adults gather together and pick a store to rob/destroy. Having a gun would do a lot of good in that situation, but I'd feel really outnumbered having to face a crowd of punk kids with only five rounds of .357 out of a 2.5" barrel. Skin your smoke wagon and they'll probably decide they want to be at choir practice instead, but it's still bad odds.

Most gun fights statistically last about 1.5 seconds with under three shots, but more and more, little packs of losers are getting together to start crap. Attacks involving multiple assailants will become more and more common, methinks.

mtbr member
    Is it okay with you all if I admit this thread scares the **** out of me?

(yes, I'm a pacifist.)

mtbr member
    Is it okay with you all if I admit this thread scares the **** out of me?

(yes, I'm a pacifist.)
    I won't think less of you. If you've never been exposed to a high crime area, aren't familiar with firearms, and if you mostly associate with reasonable and respectable people, trying to come to terms with the savagery, depravity, and denigration of "the other side" can be a challenge.

I grew up literally a 10 mile drive from East St. Louis, IL. If you've never been there, the rumors are true. I'm talking "You know where you are? You're in the jungle, baby." I'm talking degradation and blight that the average white man can't believe unless he sees it first hand. Parts of North St. Louis aren't any better, maybe worse. And, thanks to Section 8 and other social engineering programs, the "locals" of East St. have been slowly filtering up the hill to my hometown, bringing their old habits with them.

That's what I grew up around. I've got no illusions about how the world is. If you weren't similarly privileged, I could see where you might have a problem.

Meatbomb
    I grew up in Scottsdale. I have a .38 but not sure where the bullets are.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast