Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Damn, that's right on my commute route as well...No stopping I guess
    Ken, you can just show em all your scares and then ask them if they still want to tangle
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Damn, that's right on my commute route as well...No stopping I guess
    Same here, I don't stop even at lights, as long as the ghost was clear from cars I go across through the red light.
    Last edited by doodooboi; 12-18-2012 at 06:01 AM.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    How is your eye?

Crazy story!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    This story is straight up hero.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's a good reason why guns may not make any difference. If you don't have time to "pull" before the guy pulls on you, you are out of luck. If you are close enough that you can grab or hit someone, that can often be far more effective than a gun, because you're too close to effectively pull and shoot. In other words, someone could shoot, stab, or knock you out before you can bring it to bear. There's the classic scenario of a guy with a knife 10 feet away and a guy that has to pull a gun. At least 9 times out of 10, the guy with the knife can get a deadly strike in before a round can be discharged. A gun may make one feel more secure, and surely a law-abiding citizen will be responsible and handle one correctly, but everyone with a gun isn't going to solve everything, or maybe even anything.

Anyways, good job! I'm glad. Phone and tablet technology these days is great. It's hard to steal some things anymore. We need I-bikes with "find my I-bike" features.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

******ed or Branded??
    True, but I think a gun can definitely shoot through my camelback quite easily. Reach in point bag towards him, squeeze!!! Remember to unload the whole magazine, and then pee your pants! Proves that you were truly in life threatening danger!!! haha

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    It's a good reason why guns may not make any difference. If you don't have time to "pull" before the guy pulls on you, you are out of luck. If you are close enough that you can grab or hit someone, that can often be far more effective than a gun, because you're too close to effectively pull and shoot. In other words, someone could shoot, stab, or knock you out before you can bring it to bear. There's the classic scenario of a guy with a knife 10 feet away and a guy that has to pull a gun. At least 9 times out of 10, the guy with the knife can get a deadly strike in before a round can be discharged. A gun may make one feel more secure, and surely a law-abiding citizen will be responsible and handle one correctly, but everyone with a gun isn't going to solve everything, or maybe even anything.

Anyways, good job! I'm glad. Phone and tablet technology these days is great. It's hard to steal some things anymore. We need I-bikes with "find my I-bike" features.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

mtbr member

OP said he saw the guy run up, holding a gun, yelling. I don't know from how far, but sounds like OP had advance notice, correct me if I'm wrong.

Read this and the subsequent thread: Street robberies and you - The Basics - AR15.COM

It goes into a lot of details about the thug mentality, and the mentality you need to take if you want to effectively protect yourself from them.

Oh, and if your plan involves shoot through a bag or pocket, go for a gun without many moving parts, like a S&W 442. No exposed hammer. Anything with a slide is apt to get caught up in something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi View Post
    True, but I think a gun can definitely shoot through my camelback quite easily. Reach in point bag towards him, squeeze!!! Remember to unload the whole magazine, and then pee your pants! Proves that you were truly in life threatening danger!!! haha
    Count on one round then expect a jam with a semi-auto. Bobbed hammer revolver better for shooting from inside clothes/bags.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, too much has to go perfectly right to count on those things. Plus, if it's that easy to discharge from inside your camelback, you're likely going to have bigger problems when it goes off because you fell. Keeping it inside your camelback renders it fairly useless. If you put it in your pocket while you were riding through ghetto-land, then maybe not nearly as much, but just putting it in the camelback is only going to make you feel better IMO. Having it in a holster on your body is really the only way this would be practical and give you any change of producing it, and even then your first instinct shouldn't be to shoot someone (like the guy in the truck that killed the biker) just because they are yelling and waving. Too many bad outcomes for no reason. Please defend yourself, and do so with deadly force if you feel your life is truly threatened and there is no way out that would allow you to avoid possibly losing your life, but don't be fooled by a false sense of security or take measures that don't actually decrease the risk.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Guns don't just "go off." Take a Glock, a system I'm a big fan of. It has three independent safeties, and it will not fire unless you pull the trigger. The only problem is, nothing blocks you from pulling the trigger, so you need a holster that covers the trigger. With a DA revolver, the trigger pull is usually up to ten lbs, sometimes more. That just doesn't happen on it's own.

Look, the simple fact is, predators go for the easy mark. If you spend your life shuffling along, staring at the ground or your phone, you look like a vic, and you might be one. Hold your head up, be aware, stand tall, and most times, that'll solve a problem before it starts. If it doesn't, well, God made man, but Sam Colt made him equal.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Guns don't just "go off." Take a Glock, a system I'm a big fan of. l.
    I have a glock. If you can shoot a gun inside a camelback from the outside, you get mad props...The point was that it's really not possible or feasible to do so. Maybe if you are going to take it off, open it up, put your hand in there, find your gun, make sure it's clear of anything that might stop the round or deflect it, blah blah.

******ed or Branded??
    I say find a old pack, fill it with stuff you would have on a ride, and discharge a round and see what happens. So all this chatter of what can or can't be done can be truly prove.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi View Post
    I say find a old pack, fill it with stuff you would have on a ride, and discharge a round and see what happens. So all this chatter of what can or can't be done can be truly prove.
    Again, if it's in a holster on your body, sure, but to dismount, take off your camelback, unzip it, find the gun somewhere towards the bottom or in an odd position you didn't expect, pull it slightly out of the holster it's in to expose the trigger...you really believe that's going to be successful 9 times out of 10 before an attacker can get to you? That just seems like a crazy stretch. I have done a few dry runs to try this in the past.

I'm not even saying don't have one, I'm just saying don't have unrealistic expectations. Sounds pretty unrealistic to me.

******ed or Branded??
    Again, if it's in a holster on your body, sure, but to dismount, take off your camelback, unzip it, find the gun somewhere towards the bottom or in an odd position you didn't expect, pull it slightly out of the holster it's in to expose the trigger...you really believe that's going to be successful 9 times out of 10 before an attacker can get to you? That just seems like a crazy stretch. I have done a few dry runs to try this in the past.

I'm not even saying don't have one, I'm just saying don't have unrealistic expectations. Sounds pretty unrealistic to me.
    mmmmmm I'd still can't believe ya till a myth buster of a vid is posted!
    and I'm just talking about getting a round off. nothing else!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Ruger LCR lightweight revolver. I'm getting one here directly, mainly because a semi auto can be an issue if not carried in a holster. This will be my pocket gun.

RugerŽ LCRŽ Double-Action Revolver Models

banned
    Dec 2012
    I strap my M-4 on my back on some rides (inner city Phoenix canals). If need be, I'll pull it and butt stroke the perpetrator until their face is meat loaf.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    WOW! that's a shame this happened in the first place but good for you putting up a fight and using a thought process to get the job done. I ride that canal a lot and sometimes I'm quite intoxicated coming home from Tempe when doing so at night. I don't think I'll be doing that anymore, shame punks like that exist, the only sad part of this story is he's still breathing and will do this again to someone else someday. I hope all his stupid friends (if he has any) think twice before trying the same thing.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Licketysplit View Post
    Ruger LCR lightweight revolver. I'm getting one here directly, mainly because a semi auto can be an issue if not carried in a holster. This will be my pocket gun.

RugerŽ LCRŽ Double-Action Revolver Models
    I carry a Kel-Tec PF-9.

With the extended base plate, it holds 8+1 rounds of 9mm. The extended mag also did a lot to help me shoot it more comfortably, but it's still pretty unpleasant. It's not a recreational piece though. They sell a belt clip for it, which I liked. Even with mesh shorts, just clip it to the waist band and nobody would ever know. It disappears really well. The trigger isn't heavy, but it's really long, so I never worried about carrying it Mexican.

At your usual self defense ranges, contact out to about 7 yards, it's pretty accurate and controllable.

If I had to do it again, I'd maybe look at a Kahr CW9 or a S&W Shield instead.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Read this and the subsequent thread: Street robberies and you - The Basics - AR15.COM
    Great article.

Quote Originally Posted by AR15 Article
    If a guy is coming at you with a gun in his hand shoot him. Shoot him right then. If you don't shoot first you may not shoot at all.
    THIS CAN NOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH!

Too many people want to give the scumbag a chance to retreat. A chance he would have never given you. We'll never be rid of these people by giving them chances. ONLY a grave changes these people.

And...
    If it comes to pass you are forced to shoot someone do not feel bad.
    I've never understood how someone can feel bad for doing something so good as killing a bad person. The police and public do it FAR TOO rarely. As witnessed by the crimes we see committed day in and day out.

Nice, ballsy job to the OP. Too bad you didn't choke the life right out of him.

No Clue Crew
    Man, I'm tempted to read all 26 pages of that post...

On criminals:
    You can't understand the way they think because they aren't human. I say that with every ounce of sincerity I can muster. They are not human. They are best thought of as an alien species. They do not share or appreciate anything approaching a value system you or I would recognize. Their formative years were spent in an environment that was utterly alien to anything you or I ever lived in. As an example, yesterday I attended a lecture by William Aprill that dealt with what he termed "Violent Criminal Actors", essentially the people who would be classified as sociopaths. He told the story of a 15 year old boy who got in a fight on a basketball court and lost. When the boy's mother found out that he lost, she handed him a pistol and told him "WE don't go out like that!"...and the boy returned to the basketball court and killed the other kid that beat him up. When Aprill did social work he would often stop and take a look at a neighborhood before a visit to a home. On one visit he was in an urban area and he noticed a group of young kids (8-10 years old) that were playing on a basketball court that didn't have any hoops or backboards. The game they were playing involved grabbing one kid by the scruff of the neck, forcing him to his knees, then making the finger gun to the back of his head and mocking blowing his brains out execution style. After each repetition of this game the kids laughed hysterically and did it again.

Would your mother hand you a gun and direct you to go kill someone? When you were running around in your Tom Sawyer/Huck Finn years were you basically rehearsing street executions? I'm going to guess the answer to that is a big "No."

That's why you don't understand criminals...because you're thinking of them as human.

Meatbomb
    Sounds like in this case a gun in the camelbak would have worked since the punk asked games to empty the pack and he was able to stall by doing it slowly.

However I'd think in most cases the punk will just take the camelbak including the gun.

I sure would have like to see more swelling and bruising in the mug shots.

No Clue Crew
    I wonder if this pile of sh|t is gonna get heat from his homeboys for taking a beat down from a guy in spandex?

The downside is that the only thing this will teach this thief is to pull the trigger quicker...

mtbr member
    Wow amazing story. Thankfully you made it out OK.

I am not AZ but lived near DC and rode commute to work from College Park MD through NE Washington to next to the white house where job was. Definitely rode through some rough neighborhoods. I never packed or felt need to, but here are some things I did do which seemed to work. First I dressed in bike garb and looked like a bike messenger, low on the economic scale and generally street wise although I was more of a suburban boy. Second, I rode a bit of a non-flashy bike, true it was cannondale but rest of it was black and well worn, again looked like a messenger. Also, I rode as fast as I could comfortably, this was my workout with a desk job and it kept thugs at bay when you are going 15 mph (never said I was fast) and they are hanging on the street corner you are past before they have time to react. If the light was red, sometimes I would run it or do the right on red, then quick U turn and right back on route. Finally, I also rode in the road with the cars, the druggies and locals who were sitting on milk crates drinking were usually on the sidewalk. I did have a couple of moments, such as when some bored teens in a car drove by and one guy stuck himself out the window and made a gun with his hand and pointed at me - I ignored him and pedaled up the hill - to some extent I think those young kids do respect physical exercise of someone getting after it. I also had some guys come uncomfortably close who were hanging by the street parked cars but they were just hanging and not banging, however I should have been more observant. I would have gladly given my old bike if confronted with a gun, as DC crime and gun violence is well known and I can buy a new bike. It also helped that I rode early mornings when losers were sleeping, and returned home during rush hour and busy roadways kept idiots out of the street for the most part. If I was to have ridden after 9pm I might not be here to tell the tale. DC makes Houston seem like a theme park in comparison, I feel safe everywhere here, but if you look for trouble you can find it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Glad everything turned out OK. I ride that canal 3 days a week fortunately the only issue I have had so far is punk a$$ kids throwing a golf ball sized rock at me around Metrocenter. Never been tempted to carry while riding, but it may be coming.

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    Another shltbreed Si-hab off the street. Good job, sir.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast