Kathleen in AZ

Road trip planning commences

I'm planning a 2-week driving/camping/biking/photog trip for the end of the summer. My co-pilots will be my two dogs and my destination is a 2-day Brad Goldpaint star photo workshop. Everything else is unplanned and open. What sights/bike rides/adventures would YOU want to hit up along the way between Phoenix and Bend? Dogs are not allowed in big National parks, so places like Yosemite and Crater Lake are off my list. Anyway, off the beaten path is usually my favorite. Any ideas?
    Last edited by DurtGurl; 07-29-2013 at 08:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Jackson Hole. PM rideit for a possible guide. Sun Valley for buff high speed xc. It has ridiculously long dreamy descents. Both places have lots of free camping and room for dogs to roam.

mtbr member
    I second the Sun Valley recommendation and also the Stanley area. Lots of great camping. But you may not be going further east than Salt Lake City if you are on your way to Bend? Head west to Tahoe and Downieville instead? You could easily kill your two weeks in Idaho alone.

In Oregon, if you want a taste of what Crater Lake is like then ride the loop on Newberry Crater south of Bend. Oakridge is awesome. Hit up Eugene at the Mercantile for beta. There's nice camping along the M. Fork of the Willamette at Camper Flat.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You might want to try Tahoe or Truckee. Lots of great trails in that area. We've biked there a couple of times in the past few years. Or go all the way to the coast and ride in the redwoods near Santa Cruz. VERY different from Arizona!!!

We, too, will be traveling to Bend at the end of August -- and probably to Sun Valley after that. So this thread is also of interest to me.

"star photo workshop"? As in movie stars, or stars in the sky?

-db-

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Tahoe and Downieville is another great option. Northstar is real good from what I hear and if you link up with the right folks there is an incredible secret jump trail just outside of Northstar as well. Someone I know from Steamboat during the 90's put the line together and I guess it's super sick! So much other options as well, Mr. Toads was fun when I road it 13 years ago and so were the trails near Alpine Meadows. Downieville was fun too, the town is funky and cool as I remember it.

Kathleen in AZ
    Thanks all... I probably should have stated that I was looking for adventures along my route thru CA, maybe NV, and OR. I want to minimize drive time so Sun Valley and Jackson Hole will have to wait for another time. I will be attending a workshop in Bend with the photographer who inspired my current passion for night photography. Goldpaint Photography His work is amazing and I look forward to learning from the pro!

mtbr member
    That narrows it down a bit and leaves you with three basic routes: Through Vegas and the backside of the Sierras, Utah and head west from SLC, or still Utah and head through southern Idaho to Oregon. Lots of options. Or, do HWY1 and the coast thing in CA and southern Oregon. If you do that, hit the Lost Coast in no. CA. Personally, I'd stick to the mountains but the coast is pretty cool too.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Ow!
    I used to live in the NW many, many years ago. First, the Bend area is a great place to have fun--lots of bike trails, hiking trails, the rivers, and those very pretty high elevation lakes. Then you can go on the westside of the Cascades and see "real" trees (meaning big). There is the McKenzie River trail, which, as I remember, is a great bike trail. If I was going, I would spend the most time on the OR coast (or N. CA coast). Great views, great rocks, great beaches, lots of wildlife, and, obviously, so very, very different than where we live. Of course, great seafood, and beer. Can be difficult to get "off the beaten path", but I stayed in some Forest Service campgrounds right off the highway that felt very isolated. They have (or had) great state parks, but check on dog policies.

Check with those OR folks for some specifics. A lot depends on if you want to sight-see, photo, bike, hike, etc. Jeepers, I may have to seriously think about a trip next summer.

Have fun.

mtbr member

Road trip planning commences

I did a road trip from Phoenix to Seattle, car camping the entire way. This was my all-time favorite spot: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=417
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Quote Originally Posted by clydecrash View Post
    I used to live in the NW many, many years ago. First, the Bend area is a great place to have fun--lots of bike trails, hiking trails, the rivers, and those very pretty high elevation lakes. Then you can go on the westside of the Cascades and see "real" trees (meaning big). There is the McKenzie River trail, which, as I remember, is a great bike trail. If I was going, I would spend the most time on the OR coast (or N. CA coast). Great views, great rocks, great beaches, lots of wildlife, and, obviously, so very, very different than where we live. Of course, great seafood, and beer. Can be difficult to get "off the beaten path", but I stayed in some Forest Service campgrounds right off the highway that felt very isolated. They have (or had) great state parks, but check on dog policies.

Check with those OR folks for some specifics. A lot depends on if you want to sight-see, photo, bike, hike, etc. Jeepers, I may have to seriously think about a trip next summer.

Have fun.
    While in Bend you have to check out Phils trails. I think you'd dig Whoops. Lower Whoops

Also in OR is the Umqua River trail. Just pick a section and ride it. And bring mosquito repellent - lots of it.
    The North Umpqua Trail - Welcome!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    One thing to consider if you love Gooseberry is in Zion dogs ARE ALLOWED on the Pa'rus Trail. Guacamole Trail and Slickrock Swamp are next to Zion for MTB. If too hot, go to Navajo Lake.
    Was considering a trip there with my dog this summer. 2 trails near beautiful Crater Lake I'm considering are Golden Stairs Trail and High Lakes Trail.
    Then there's the trail in Oregon at the top of my 'must ride' list, North Umpqua Trail.
    agmtb

Kathleen in AZ
    Thanks for all the tips and keep em coming! Rockman... that Newberry Crater trail looks amazing! Casual Observer... Patrick Point looks cool except that dogs are not allowed on trails or beach :-( But there are so many possibilities. I have friends in Petaluma and Reno to show me the goods in those areas on the way out and back.