SoSlo

Rim Trails - Woods Canyon to Christopher Creek

Hey I am headed up with my family to camp at Christopher Creek. My brothers-in-law do some riding with me and I was wondering if the trails up there are decent to ride. We were gonna have one of them shuttle us to the forest RIm road up by Woods Canyon Lake and try to drop down through Babe Haught #143, See Spring Trail #185, Horton Springs Trail #292, or Promontory #78 down to Derrick #31 and down to the campground...any recommendations???
    The Slow One

EDR
    Are bikes allowed on those trails some of those trails? I've hiked Horton Springs many times and never once came across a biker.

Anyhow have fun. Might want to think about dropping down Drew Canyon, to Highline, I know lots of folks have done that. Search the AZ forum, there are multiple recent threads about the area.

I love bike!
    +1 on dropping Drew to Highline. The descent down Drew is really sweet and pretty gnarly in a few sections...all rideable tho. Highline is some really nice flowy singletrack with some technical challenges mixed in. A friend and I started at the 260 TH rode/HAB up Military Sinkhole, made our way west to Drew, dropped down to Highline and took that back east to the 260 TH. Highly recommended

EDR
    A friend and I started at the 260 TH rode/HAB up Military Sinkhole, made our way west to Drew, dropped down to Highline and took that back east to the 260 TH. Highly recommended
    Ya, that's what I'd recommend. And if OP gets dropped off at the rim he/they can forget the HAB up to Military Sinkhole and they could ride to TH260, then turn around and ride Highline to See Canyon (I think?) and ride all the way back to Christopher Creek.

However I am curious about biking the other trails he mentioned, OP, if you ride them post back with a report.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowilly
    Hey I am headed up with my family to camp at Christopher Creek. My brothers-in-law do some riding with me and I was wondering if the trails up there are decent to ride. We were gonna have one of them shuttle us to the forest RIm road up by Woods Canyon Lake and try to drop down through Babe Haught #143, See Spring Trail #185, Horton Springs Trail #292, or Promontory #78 down to Derrick #31 and down to the campground...any recommendations???
    There is a lot of good riding on the Rim at the Carr system, along the rim, and near Woods Canyon Lake. When you do drop off the rim, definately drop down the Drew Trail. When you get to the Highline, hang a right and you can take it clear on over past Cristopher Creek to Horton Springs Trail, then take Horton down to the Tonto Creek Rd. The Highline Trail gets pretty rough in parts and can be HAB. If you take a left on Highline after the Drew Trail drop, it is sweet flowy singletrack all the way to TH 260. I am pretty sure Babe Haught, See Spring, Horton Springs, and Promentory are all HAB off the rim.

If somebody knows something different about those rim drops, I'd like to know.

SoSlo

Rim Trails - Woods Canyon to Christopher Creek

Sounds good. Thanks for the info. If anyone wants to check it out with us, feel free. We didn't make reservations at CC, so we're camping at WCL. We're in a brown jeep and a white chevy pick-up. I will post some photos and descriptions on sunday/monday.
    The Slow One

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Ya, that's what I'd recommend. And if OP gets dropped off at the rim he/they can forget the HAB up to Military Sinkhole and they could ride to TH260, then turn around and ride Highline to See Canyon (I think?) and ride all the way back to Christopher Creek.

However I am curious about biking the other trails he mentioned, OP, if you ride them post back with a report.
    Yes, ride it downhill. I rode from See Canyon almost to the 260 trailhead last month, just as the monsoon was starting, and the combination of the altitude, heat, and humidity almost killed me.

But then the storms kicked up and I was going downhill towards See Canyon and all was good again. That trail is FUN!

Next time I ride I think that I'll just tool around on top of the rim, though. The Carr Lake trails look like a good way to slack off during the heat.

Dave
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

SoSlo

Trip Report

See my blog...
    I will post pics today as well...
    The Slow One

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowilly
    See my blog...
    Where?