Thread: Rim ride..

Meatbomb

Rim ride..

Don't ask why but I have to do a round trip to Holbrook on Friday. I figure I will hit the Woods Canyon turn off on the way home in time to get in an hour ride.... any suggestions of a trail to check out? 10- 12 ish mile loop .

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    The Carr Lake loops are supposed to be pretty good and you can put together whatever mileage you want. I'm guessing that is your best bet without dropping down off the rim. A good loop is the Rim Trail (or something like that) down Drew to Highline and then back up to the top via Military Sinkhole. I did this some time back and is 14ish miles. With route finding and gawking it took me about 4 hours. Maybe a bit much with all the driving you'll be doing that day too. Playing around with See Canyon and Highline at the bottom of the rim might get you some miles too but I'm not sure how much.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Carr Lake Trail is about 9.5 miles if you just to the "proper" loop. It's easy to get to, and there's plenty of parking at the trailhead.

mtbr member
    Carr Lake is perfect for a fun fast and scenic (green) trail ride! Go past Woods Canyon Lake turn off and proceed on dirt road for a couple of miles, Carr Lake camp grounds is on the left side of the road. rest room and TH on the right after the turn in. If you go up to the camp grounds the camp host has maps. I like riding it counter clock wise...

http://vimeo.com/12536633
    Last edited by Ram-On; 07-28-2010 at 10:41 PM.

MTBikeAZ.com
    I agree. Do the Carr Lake System. Easy access. Loads of fun.

This map should give you the info you need. Parking and loop options.
    http://mtbikeaz.com/trail-index/mogo...r-lake-system/

Be sure to ride Boulder Hop, Aspen North and General Crook. Doing the full Carr Lake outer loop is not as much fun as riding the inner connecting segments over and over.... and stay away from Aspen South (the dark orange trail on the map) it is not maintained and hard to follow, does not flow at all.

Here's another vid to temp you.

Aspen Trail in the Carr Lake System from MTBikeAZ on Vimeo.

Aspen Trail from the junction with Carr Lake trail at the northernmost spot to the big tree they just cut down. Two minutes of fast singletrack.

Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?
    http://helipadtt.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Am I the only one that sees the topic and thinks it is inapropriate for a family forum? Well maybe if Kavu posted it...
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Sorry to raise a dead thread, but I 'm heading up to the rim this week and bringing my bike. I've decided to definitely hit the carr lake system, but I'll be up there for 2 days. Any other fun singletrack up there without dropping off the rim? I won't have a shuttle option.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by bazooka_beard
    Sorry to raise a dead thread, but I 'm heading up to the rim this week and bringing my bike. I've decided to definitely hit the carr lake system, but I'll be up there for 2 days. Any other fun singletrack up there without dropping off the rim? I won't have a shuttle option.
    Shuttle not mandatory for dropping off the rim. You can come back up via Military Sinkhole. It's only about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way down. Down Drew to Highline/See Canyon was a blast the only time I did it.

FWIW I'd actually suggest driving to TH260 (start of the uphill to Military Sinkhole), leaving the car there and riding up....then down, back to the car. I'd rather hit that climb at the beginning.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Shuttle not mandatory for dropping off the rim. You can come back up via Military Sinkhole. It's only about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way down. Down Drew to Highline/See Canyon was a blast the only time I did it.

FWIW I'd actually suggest driving to TH260 (start of the uphill to Military Sinkhole), leaving the car there and riding up....then down, back to the car. I'd rather hit that climb at the beginning.
    I've done this too. Lots of fun. Get the climb out at the beginning and the rest is nothing but grins (almost). Military Sinkhole isn't too bad and the pay-off is well worth it.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    I've also been thinking of hitting the houston brothers segment of the cabin loop. Seems like a pretty decent section. Anyone ever camp near there? I saw in another thread people mentioned camping along the 139, but not sure where. North or South end? Also, I drive a small car.