No Clue Crew

Rim 'Rench to the rescue

I have a tendency to break sh|t and while talking about repairs like this clockwork was kind enough to link to the Rim Rench so I picked one up in anticipation for the next dent I put in my wheel.

So, several weeks ago I put a nice dent in my rear Outlaw coming down National.

Exhibit A:

Enter the Rim 'Rench:

With a minimal amount of effort I turned it into this:

Unfortunately, it can't get rid of the flat spot from the contact with the rock:

But, it worked very well for pulling the dent out and it's more than round enough to seal up. Put my new Butcher SX and Clutch SX on, threw in a new batch of sealant and I'm ready to roll.

Now, I'll finally find out if the SX casing of the Butcher and Clutch is tough enough and what kind of longevity to expect...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Try putting a couple extra pounds of air in,rock will have less of a chance hitting rim

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Nifty tool. I've done the same with channel-locks, but that wrench is pro-style.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    whoah, your hand is like magnetic or something, how is it not falling out?

mtbr member
    Like that tool. Perfect for guys like me (and you BigO) that are aware that running a lower pressure so the bike handles well will result in some dings along the way.

I would much rather run a lower psi in the tire so the bike will handle the way I want it too in the turns. Much better to ding a rim or two than my face!

Prime
    You'll love those tires bigO, they're awesome in the type of riding that you do. I prefer a Chunder on the rear but you can't get them anymore, SX all that I've run on my Firebird for a couple of seasons now. I'm set up tubeless but still use 33-35 psi. I know it's a bit higher than what we try to get away with tubeless, but look at the durometer of those tires, even with enough psi to prevent rim hits you're still going to get some nice velcro grip. I've worn out several SX's because of the soft rubber, but I haven't had a slice or even so much as a flat on them.

74 & 29 pilot
    Just sliced open the Clutch SX on the back of my Session while shuttling Wed. morn. Never sliced a DH or grid compound, but now I have on both the Control and SX casings. The Clutch SX has held up well, as far as wear, compared to Maxxis Super Tacky compound and I really like it as a rear DH tire; Not so much love for it as an AM tire.

PS Mike your rims need way more help than one little wrench Just shows that you try hard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rim 'Rench to the rescue-img_1249.jpg  

Last edited by MTB Pilot; 08-20-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Damn! I've ridden my outlaws for almost 2 years and even though I've scratched the sh!t out of them, I still haven't dented them. I guess I don't cuss at myself enough....
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

No Clue Crew
    I'm still looking for that happy medium of low pressure, no rim damage with my style of riding (poor, aggressive). I've been running them and checking them fairly religiously at around 28#. The morning I dinged this rim I was at 27.5 when I left the house and I saw it coming. Landed hard on my rear off a drop with a secondary obstacle right after it. When I failed to miss the second rock I knew instantly there was gonna be damage. I could feel it...

All better now! And I just walked by those buff new tires and thought, "damn that's soft rubber." I figure, worst case scenario, I take 'em back and get the DH casing. Really not a fan of those damn wire beads, though.

mtbr member
    That's awesome, wish it was that easy on a car.

I don't get bent wheels or even pinch flats.... I guess I don't ride hard enough.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    So, how did the rim survive after the repair? I have a don't on my rear wheel. Wondering if I should leave it alone or buy the rim 'rench.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by nomoclips View Post
    So, how did the rim survive after the repair? I have a don't on my rear wheel. Wondering if I should leave it alone or buy the rim 'rench.
    That was almost a year ago and the rim is just fine. Haven't had any dents lately but been pretty good at keeping the tires around 29#. If it's not a really big dent and you're running tubes I'd leave it. I'll leave small dents until I change a tire 'cause I hate breaking the bead and having to reseal it. In the above case it was a pretty big dent and I felt it would have negatively affected the seal and if I remember correctly I was ready for new tires anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ok, I'll keep it as is until I change the tire. Thanks.