mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Rim Lakes Recreation Area

I have an opportunity to ride for an afternoon next weekend in this area. I know there are a lot of jeep trails etc in and around 300; but there also seems to be some trails/single track too? Couldn't find via the search option and sorry if i missed an obvious thread. Question, what would you recommend/suggest? Thanks!

mtbr member
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

EDR
    TH260 (3/4 of the way up the rim on US260, on the left) is a start point for a loop that includes immediately heading up Military Sink Hole (kinda brutal IIRC) to 300 then to See Canyon, Drew Canyon and Highline I think. I don't remember the trail order but once you make it up to the rim trail you take that just a couple miles at most then drop down between two wood fence posts...then the fun begins (assuming the trail has been cleared of dead fall). With a shuttle you can omit the climb from TH260 up MS.

Search around for Drew Canyon, MS, etc....it's out there.

I think this is the jist of it. MS is near the Parking icon at the bottom, you climb up to rim trail (green) and take that N.W. and drop down where the little green mountain bike is. Then return to Parking. Or I think you can take the right hand onto See Canyon and ride down to Christiopher Creek...you could start there as well if you feel like some ass-kicking climbing at 6-7.5k feet. I did not ride that trail but I do remember enjoying the drop down and Highline back to MS quite a bit.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...4&source=embed

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Right on eatdrinkride, thanks, perfect!

EDR

Re: Rim Lakes Recreation Area

Quote Originally Posted by GSNED View Post
    Right on eatdrinkride, thanks, perfect!
    No problem. Just be forewarned, I remember the climb up military sinkhole to be a lot of loose shale. Some hike a biking for sure.

....just cruisin through
    Heading to Heber tomorrow, and I am looking at another trail. I am looking at the loop east of Willow Springs Lake off of Larson Ridge Road and FR 237A (THIS LOOP in green). Anybody done this? I am not looking for a long/technical ride, just to get on the bike in some cooler weather for 2-3 hours. I am looking for some single track, and to avoid fire/forest roads and vehicle traffic/dust. I am open to other suggestions, maybe around Black Canyon lake area or anywhere between the rim and Heber.

Rim Lakes Recreation Area-rim_lakes_map-2-.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers.....

Vincit qui patitur
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrazm View Post
    Heading to Heber tomorrow, and I am looking at another trail. I am looking at the loop east of Willow Springs Lake off of Larson Ridge Road and FR 237A (THIS LOOP in green). Anybody done this? I am not looking for a long/technical ride, just to get on the bike in some cooler weather for 2-3 hours. I am looking for some single track, and to avoid fire/forest roads and vehicle traffic/dust. I am open to other suggestions, maybe around Black Canyon lake area or anywhere between the rim and Heber.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIM_Lakes_Map (2).jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	806229
    I camp up there all the time.
    Some of that is vehicle restricted which is great. Most of it is roads and noy much singletrack that I've seen.
    Still a nice area and a lot cooler than here. Not usually not a lot of traffic either. Most of the traffic is in the areas near Hwy 260.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL