Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CrazyEye

Rigid SS 29er riders?

A few months ago it seemed like every day someone was raving about how much they loved their new rigid SS 29er. Just wanted to hear some follow up reports. Has the novelty worn off? Or are you still digging it? Does the 29" really makes up for no shocks or do you wish you would of sprung for them? I was looking to buy one, but found a good deal on a 26' monocog with front shocks. I love the SS thing, but it's a little small for me. So I'm starting to keep a eye out...

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEye
    A few months ago it seemed like every day someone was raving about how much they loved their new rigid SS 29er. Just wanted to hear some follow up reports. Has the novelty worn off? Or are you still digging it? Does the 29" really makes up for no shocks or do you wish you would of sprung for them? I was looking to buy one, but found a good deal on a 26' monocog with front shocks. I love the SS thing, but it's a little small for me. So I'm starting to keep a eye out...

I still ride a SS rigid regular bike thingy, ever since I learned to ride a bike way back when I was just a wee llittle laddy.

workin' it Administrator
    i too ride my SS rigid but it is not a 29'er but I do run a huge front tire that is very tall.

I put a fork on it to race but it sucks for general riding so I will convert it before I ride again.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    I tried running my 26er ss rigid for a short while. By the time I put huge tires at low pressure on it so it wouldn't rattle my teeth loose, it was heavier and slower than with a suspension fork. I'm probably gonna sell the unit soon though and build up a 29er. I might try rigid with that one for a while. I rode SS-minnows rigid 29er last year and was suprised how well it rode. I just need to get off my butt and start tearing the old bike down and doing the ebay thing to get some funds.

mtbr member
    The main thing you need to realize is that a rigid 29er is not going to be as plush as having a shock on a 26" bike, period.
    I made the switch myself and for 75% of the riding I do it's great and I love the ride, you just need to be better about picking your lines.
    The other 25% (really rocky ups and downs) it sorta sucks, but it is managable if you ride slower. Just my 2c...

A rigid big-wheeled SS is my only bike, I ride it on anything I ride.

I think the three virtues really complement each other well. I can't see riding SS with small wheels, that is the most profound advantage.

CrazyEye

upgrade?

So can I just buy Monocog 29er frame/fork and some wheels and swap out ever thing else?

workin' it Administrator

swap out...

yes you can

although you may need to dicker with stem length but that is true for any swap.
    Try this: HTFU

Master Gardener
    Mine has a Reba but it's locked out about 90% of the time. At least 90%, actually.

I constantly marvel at how intelligent I am for lugging around an extra 3 pounds for no reason at all.

Ouch, I am hot!
    I am not a 29er zealot, even though I may not buy another 26er ever. In terms of fully rigid 29ers vs. fully rigid 26ers, I can only speculate as I have only used a rigid 26er. My Niner single speed has front suspension.

29ers are not magical. Indeed, I believe that adding carbon bars will soften a fully rigid ride more than going from a 26er to 29er. Also, there is no magic ditch that can be rolled on a 29er that will send you OTB on a 26er. Does a 29er ride "softer" than a 26er? Perhaps, but I doubt it is all that meaningful. I would also guess that using a bigger 26er tire would make more difference than bigger wheels. Right now, I think the biggest 29er tire is the WTB Weirwolf, but it still is not as big as many 26er tires.

My take is if the only reason you want a 29er over a 26er is to soften the ride on a rigid single speed, than don't do it. You won't find magic there.
    I AM JUST A JERK

CrazyEye
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    My take is if the only reason you want a 29er over a 26er is to soften the ride on a rigid single speed, than don't do it. You won't find magic there.
    I'm 6'2 and this 19" frame is just a little too small so I want something that fits me better.

The 'cog I have now has front shocks (a little too smushy) and a carbon bar and so it's fine. PricePoint has 29er frames w/ fork for $230. But I'd have to buy some wheels and tires and that has me up to the price of a stock monocog 29er and have one bike for $500ish...

Or I could just get the 21" monocog frame/fork for $190, and switch every thing out and sell this 19" for $50 or whatever I can get and only be out $150ish...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    It does "soften the ride", but if you want a soft ride get suspension. Big wheels roll over wheel stopping logs and rocks, which is for me the most distinct benefit for singlespeeding particularly. When you're cranking at slow speed and need a little extra zip to get over a ledge, big wheels require less effort and work better.

Speaking of the Weirwolf LT, you'd also be hard pressed to find a larger volume 26" tire that isn't a very heavy freeride model (or an Endomorph). For me still the perfect rigid SS tire in these parts.

Powered by ice cream.
    I have only recently tried rigid SS on a 29"er. I liked it a lot.

I will say that I know of no one who favors full rigid bikes who has tried a 29"er and gone back.

It is indeed magic, because I can't explain exactly why they ride so nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    I have only recently tried rigid SS on a 29"er. I liked it a lot.

I will say that I know of no one who favors full rigid bikes who has tried a 29"er and gone back.

It is indeed magic, because I can't explain exactly why they ride so nicely.
    I'll concede to "nice" but not magic.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    I'm with Vk1: the extra weight of my eternally locked-out Reba (like 99% of the time) is great. One of these days I'd like to try a Bonty carbon fork. Until then, yeah, the mostly rigid ride, with suspension courtesy of 35 lbs/psi in my tires, works on all the trails I ride (Tucson:Starr Pass, Az Trail, Kentucky Camp, etc).
    Before this bike, I had an old aluminum Trek with a Surly 1x1 fork and that was great, too.

my knees hurt
    Rigid ss 29er is all I have had for the past 2 years...still love it, not planning on switching anytime soon....
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you would achieve if you knew you could not fail.

http://endurancerehab.com/

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

Good job!

So can I just buy Monocog 29er frame/fork and some wheels and swap out ever thing else?
    I'm sure you've seen this, but just in case...
    Can you hear me now?

Low speed, High Drag
    I got mine a few months ago, and I still love it. (When I can ride it!) I put a carbon fiber fork on it, and that helped a lot with the harshness.. The only thing I don't like about it, is after I ride it for while, my shoulders are always sore, from previous injuries. I'll have to wait ans see if the CF bars, help out any.

I do have a 6" bike, too, so that kind of equals it out, a bit. One bike with no suspension, one bike with mucho suspension.

mtbr member
    I'd been riding a rigid 29er SS until a few weeks ago, (when I was involuntarily relieved of my bikes). That has been my only MTB for the last 2 years (before that was rigid 26er SS) and I loved it. The 29" does feel a little more plush than a 26" wheel, but I think the main diff was the fact that the 29er rolls over stuff so much better. For example, the 29er is more fun than a 26" rigid on Miligrosa......easier to ride the techy stuff like that.

more beers, lees gears.
    ... and sell this 19" for $50 or whatever I can get...

I may be interested in buying your 19" monocog frame if you do the switch. I too have been playing with getting a SS, and not sure if I need the 29er or not. I see a lot more SS 26er for cheap starters. Since it would be my first SS, i see no need to invest a lot in a fancy frame or overpriced 29er. And used cheap SS 29ers are slim to none.

$50 is right in my price range for my SS starter frame. I have 26er wheels laying around.

Also I think nashbar has some 29er wheels for as low as $160.

Master Gardener
    I'm adding my two cents not as a point of debate but just as... well, my own two cents. My impression of my 29er is that the wheels seem to make the ride significantly more smooth. If I hop on a 26" HT bike now, the wheels feel like they're made of stone. I don't know why, don't know how, but that's how it feels at the handlebars and saddle.

I've also noticed that I could run anwhere between 50 and 60 psi in my 26" wheels (and always have, I know it's very high), without feeling much of a difference at all. With my 29er, I run 30 psi (I'm 195 lbs) and if I bump it up to even 32-34 psi, I'm bouncing all over the trail, comparatively.

I'd embarrass myself if I tried to tell you guys how much more fun I've had on my SS 29er than on any of the other bikes I've ever owned. And I've had some badass bikes, all XC though. I'm no hucker or DH guy, though I can hang with ya'll just fine. Heh heh.

mtbr member
    I've had my KM for nearly 2 years now. Up until thanksgiving I was living in Colorado - so take my experience with a grain of salt. I do think there's a correlation.

When I first put my 29er together I took it to the local technical test piece. I was attempting to verify / deny that statement that 29ers roll over rocks that eat up 26ers. In the process I beat the crap out of my arms and the rest of my body. For the next month or two I segregated my bikes into XC rides and tech rides.

Since it was my new bike, I kept riding it and denying my FS kiddie wheeled bike. Late that summer I rode the monarch crest trail on the KM. Great bike for the ride but the silver creek downhill was brutal. As part of my bachelor party weekend a few friends and I rode / hiked our bikes up to the top of Mt Evans. Again the KM was my choice (but I swapped a small chain ring on up front). You can see what happened. I got better on the bike (Absorbing rocks, ledges, drops etc) and so riding more "technical" trails wasn't an issue.

By mid 06 I was seriously considering selling my FS 26er. It wasn't getting ridden at all. Then I let outside factors get to me and I quit riding. I went from riding 3 times a week and being a competent rider to riding a few times a month (and it showed in my conditioning and skills). I ended up here in Arizona, about 1.5 miles from the east end of south mountain park. Sadly out of shape. Out came the gears and suspension and I haven't looked back. Yet.

Looking back, I'm still not sure what happened. Obviously I got soft. And lazy. What's worse - I'm headed to Moab here in a month and I have no thoughts about taking the 29er. I'd like to tell you that mormon / national NEEDS full suspension. But last year I'd have done it rigid. heck, last ride on my KM was to fill a growler at Copper Canyon.

Sorry for the diatribe.