mtbr member

Riding SS this weekend suggestions?

I am using a friends single speed this weekend. It is not full suspension.

I'm letting a friend who has never ridden use my FS bike. I figure he wont be up for too much since it is his first time out so it's a perfect time to try SSing it!

I am used to riding an all mountain 6 inch travel bike. Any riding suggestions you guys have that will keep me from crashing and help me enjoy riding a SS would be appreciated.

Not sure what the trail will be like as I will be riding in Laughlin/Bullhead. I talked to a local shop up there and they said there are ample trails I plan on having them direct me to a beginner trail......primarly for my buddy but being I am not experienced on SS it should be good for me too!

I am planning on doing a couple turns at Papago to get the feel of it. What should I expect?

Thanks,
    Ross

mtbr member
    You should expect to be buying/building a SS after the experience. It's addictive.

CrazyEye
    You'll love it. I just took mine out for the first time this afternoon. I've only ridden a my geared FS. Beleave the hype. I'm not in great shape either. I've been riding about a year and only get out once a week, twice if I'm lucky. And it wasn't the bad at all. I thought SSing was only for these dude's who are in killer shape. But you can ease into with the right gear combo. Papago is perfect for your friend if he's never been out.

Dirty Monkey
    Hey Ross, we met out at Hawes (purple GF Rig). To try and give you some info beyond just "you'll love it", a key thing to expect is that you seem to stand a lot more on climbs. On the flip side of that, it seems like you will climb things faster, and it almost seems easier. In a weird way. On any downhill, you'll spin out, and can't get any more speed. Handling is really not a big difference, unless, which you didn't say if it was a 29'r, I find mine to be a bit slower response in hard corners. If a 29, it seems that once rolling, it rolls smoother, almost like you coast more or further. In either case, 26 or 29, just stand on climbs, and you have more power (more immediate) than standing on a geared bike.

Have fun!

Mike
    [SIZE="3"]"May The Schwartz Be With You!"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Hey Mike,

FYI I will be on a 26" set up.

Ross

CrazyEye
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtluvraz
    Hey Ross, we met out at Hawes (purple GF Rig). To try and give you some info beyond just "you'll love it", a key thing to expect is that you seem to stand a lot more on climbs. On the flip side of that, it seems like you will climb things faster, and it almost seems easier. In a weird way. On any downhill, you'll spin out, and can't get any more speed. Handling is really not a big difference, unless, which you didn't say if it was a 29'r, I find mine to be a bit slower response in hard corners. If a 29, it seems that once rolling, it rolls smoother, almost like you coast more or further. In either case, 26 or 29, just stand on climbs, and you have more power (more immediate) than standing on a geared bike.

Have fun!

Mike
    All very true. Obviously you have stand on the steep stuff. But I found it easier to stand on some medium stuff also. Hills where I could have stayed seated, but seemed a little hard so I stood up and was cool. I guess because when seated, it's all leg muscle vs. using your body weight also.

Dirty Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEye
    All very true. Obviously you have stand on the steep stuff. But I found it easier to stand on some medium stuff also. Hills where I could have stayed seated, but seemed a little hard so I stood up and was cool. I guess because when seated, it's all leg muscle vs. using your body weight also.
    Exactly. Not just steep, climbing in general. Typically on FS no matter what design the suspension is, it absorbs some power when standing, and the gear thing takes a bit away. Stand on a SS hardtail and it climbs faster and easier. As for the 26, Ross, all applies, with the exception of the slightly slower cornering, should be what you're used to, and the seeming easier coasting of a 29. Otherwise, it is enjoyable. Never will I go exclusive SS nor 29, but it has it's place in my line-up.
    [SIZE="3"]"May The Schwartz Be With You!"[/SIZE]