Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Riding San Tan Park

3K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  gera72 
#1 ·
Anyone on here ride San Tan Park much? It seems to have a good amount of riders going by the tracks I saw out there.

It is close to my place and getting back into mountain biking after being off for a while.

Hawes area is close to my work but scheduling with the family makes San Tan a better place to ride for now at least.

Just looking to meet some new people and ride out in the San Tan area since most of my buddies in Mesa say it is too far of a drive to come ride out there.....:skep:

I'm going to head out there again today about 1545 if anyone is around.

#2 ·
I go out there every now and again and ride ML/SA/HG/SA loop which is just enough to get me outta breath (sometimes I'll have to HAB a few spots). I'm much closer to Hawes or Usery so I don't go that often, maybe once every 2-3 weeks for a change of pace which in my case is slow.:thumbsup:

#3 ·
Santan is a great place to get some flow. I live in QC close to Gateway Airport and ride my single speed out there quite a bit. I would recommend starting at the Dynamite trailhead and head out. You can take DM over to the loop mentioned above which is pretty similar to what I typically ride. I take DN south then counterclockwise loop-SA-HG-SG-ML-SA-LL-SA and then back out DN which I think is pretty close to @ 10 miles. The ride back out on DN is the icing on the cake as it's like a mile or so of all downhill goodness. No chunky stuff out there which is why I prefer the SS. Look for a green Vassago and that will be me :)

#4 ·
You must practically be my neighbor!! I'm over by Sossaman / Germann Rds & on occasion ride down to the park via QC wash to Hawes Rd. I typically ride that same loop you described, but CW, then mix in a second loop by doubling up on SA-ML (this time stay on ML, bypassing SG to the west side of SA) -SA-HG-SA-SG-ML (UP)-SA-DN. Kinda turns it into a figure 8-ish ride for about 22 miles. Throw in the the 14 rt pavement miles to get there and it's a nice easy 36. Even though it's the closest place to my house I probably only ride over there every couple of months. It's a fun place for what it has, especially after the addition of the Dynamite trail. Hit me up if you ever want to cruise down there.

#5 ·
Thanks for the loop info guys. I'm gonna head out there today and see how I do. I did not do much at all yesterday just a small loop but I wanna put more miles on today for sure.

I'd like to see more trails out this way and it seems more maybe coming as there is more riding locations out this way now then there was before.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#7 ·
Its great to hear some love for San Tan. I ride San Tan at least once a week. Great place to ride and closest trail system to my house. I usually have to ride solo so it would be cool to ride with someone for a change. Love the ride back down dynamite unless the horses are out....

#8 ·
I usually ride San Tan once a week as well. I also live in QC and usually ride over around 8 am on Thursday or Friday. That probably isn't a convenient time for most but throwing it out there just in case. I usually ride to the park and do DM-SA-ML-GM-SA-back down DM and home which ends up being about 19-20 miles. I'm pretty slow and will be on a green Salsa or black and green Santa Cruz.

#10 ·
Well heck if ya guys do some riding let me know I'd be up for it. I'd drive to cortina and jump on the bike and go with ya guys. I need to find some trails around forest lakes also up on the rim by willow springs and woods canyon lake. We spend most summer weekends in forest lakes at our trailer.

Glad too see a good amount of people ride out there.

Wonder if we could get the park service to let us do some night rides!

#13 ·
I did not realize the Friday and Saturday hours. Thanks for the info.

I'd be up for a night ride. I need to get my lights out and make sure they are working as it has been a bit since ive used them.

Wonder if we could drum up some interest. .....

#14 ·
Sounds good. I'll send out an invitation one of these days to see if anyone else would be interested. Need to find replacement batteries for my magicshines first though. I'm an idiot and never got my free replacements and I believe GeoMan flew the coop so I'm probably SOL. If anyone knows a good replacement let me know.

#17 ·
The only thing I miss about living out in the QC is riding at SanTan Park, and that was 4 years ago when it really wasn't as well developed as it is today. I may have to head out there for a sentimental ride sometime.

#24 ·
Rode San Tan today for the first time. Did Goldmine to San Tan to Dyno up an over then back on Dyno to San Tan south for the loop and back to the trailhead. I found it a great place to SS. A few sandy washes to loose climbs but overall I got a great workout. Really enjoyed Dynamite both ways. Not crowded but I did see a few equestrians and hikers and only four other cyclists. I'll be back!

#25 ·
I also ride in SanTan at least once a week (ususally Friday), and sometimes Wednesday and Friday. Fridays it all depends if I dont get injure in soccer game on Thursday. I start at Dynamite TrailHead and do this loop. DN-SA-ML-SG-SA-HG-SA-DN back to the trail head. 11.2 miles last ride I did SG-SA-GM-DN after coming back from HG and Total 14 miles.. I ride slow pace (my only pace, jajaja), My start time is usually 8:00 to 8:30, I also would like to ride in a group and meet new people..

#28 ·
I rode the new re-route of SA trail, I like it!, Still I have to HAB before you reach to the top to come back down, But it was fun... Still some loose dirt in that hill that makes it difficult for me.. Coming back in the new section it wasnt bad they avoid it the sand, but I have a feeling they could some done something more like SG, but that is my personal opinion.. I think I found my 14mi loop. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.