mtbr member

Riding partner N.Scottsdale

I have started doing a Monday eve ride (I leave around 6:30pm) and ride from my house to the Frank Lloyd Wright and Cactus intersection and get on the trail and ride up Taliesin trail to Lost dog go to the LD trail head and head back. If anyone in the area wants to meet up let me know. I try to do this every week. I am NOT a racer and I am pretty slow. Gonna go tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    i cant go tomorrow but I live somewhat close to that. Since its starting to get dark earlier, I am assuming you have enough lights for night riding? How long do you go out for?

mtbr member
    Yes I have lights and I am usually out for 2-2.5 hrs. Now that it is starting to cool down maybe my pace will pick up, well that is what I keep telling my self. You have lights?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thurs or Friday nights (or anytime of day) Im good. Mondays as in right now through Wed nights Im at work.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you are getting sick, so maybe you could come out on a Monday. I work Tue-Fri and on Thur a few of us meet up and ride Papago ( I work pretty close so we ride from work). Fridays is family time. Look forward to meeting you for the Scottsdale to Sunflower trip coming up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 28/29 WIT View Post
    Yes I have lights and I am usually out for 2-2.5 hrs. Now that it is starting to cool down maybe my pace will pick up, well that is what I keep telling my self. You have lights?
    not yet. Getting my rigid 29er in the mail today then Ill start looking for lights.

mtbr member
    Anyone? Going out tonight but more like 7pm.

livin' the dream......
    I'll say it, because I know others are thinking it. The McDowell Sonoran Preserve has a sunset closure, and people have been stopped by the police after hours as their lights gave away their position and were greeted by PD at the trail head.

Realize you will be giving the whole mtb community a bad name if/when you get caught in there after the closure. County parks have a 8pm closure during the week & 10pm weekends. Phoenix preserves, 11pm closure 7 days a week.

This might be the closest riding to your house (it is for me too) but I have resisted going in there after dark. There are alternatives nearby!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up! I saw a cruiser in the distance and I thought something was up and these 3 dudes in all black on mountain bikes kept yelling at me and at the time I thought they were yelling "Please stop" but I guess now they were saying "Police stop". Good thing I could out pedal them and I was wondering who rides a fetish bike those things weigh a ton. Now it all makes sense.

Meatbomb
    Which trail head is being patroled by the Police?

I've always assumed that as long as you avoid the hidden hills nazis there would be no issue with riding the McDowells at night.

mtbr member
    Phillbo- I was just messing around, I did not see and Police officers.

livin' the dream......
    28/29....not trying to rain on your parade, not everyone knows the rules since there are 3 land management agencies operating in pretty tight area with 3 different closure rules....

mtbr member
    tjkm- I really appreciate the info I did not know, anyways you did not rain on my parade. Can one person be a parade? Thanks again.

Meatbomb
    I don't think you'll have any problems riding the area at night. I think the only issues that have been reported here occurred in the area around Sunrise/Lost Dog.