Giant Robot

Riding near Canyon de Chelly?

Any trail beta on riding near Chinle or Canyon de Chelly? I'm assuming there's no legal riding in the Monument, but what about outside of it? I'm headed by next week on my way to Durango from Tempe, and it'd be cool to sample some local singletrack (or slickrock...). I'll happily provide lunch/beer to a local rider who'd be willing to show me some local goods! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Thunder View Post
    Any trail beta on riding near Chinle or Canyon de Chelly? I'm assuming there's no legal riding in the Monument, but what about outside of it? I'm headed by next week on my way to Durango from Tempe, and it'd be cool to sample some local singletrack (or slickrock...). I'll happily provide lunch/beer to a local rider who'd be willing to show me some local goods! Thanks!
    The Mutants used to ride some slickrock areas near Chinle back in the day. Hit Steve at Coconinocycles up for beta. Perhaps RockyChrysler might chime in as well. Chalkpaw has been exploring areas around Kayenta. Otherwise, my recommendaton would be to hit up Gallup, Phils World in Cortez or Alien Trail near Farmington. Those options will be toasty hot but so will anything near Chinle or Canyon de Chelly.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

Giant Robot
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    The Mutants used to ride some slickrock areas near Chinle back in the day. Hit Steve at Coconinocycles up for beta. Perhaps RockyChrysler might chime in as well. Chalkpaw has been exploring areas around Kayenta. Otherwise, my recommendaton would be to hit up Gallup, Phils World in Cortez or Alien Trail near Farmington. Those options will be toasty hot but so will anything near Chinle or Canyon de Chelly.
    I've ridden Phil's and Gallup, and both are good, but I was wondering if there was any legal riding near all those awesome sandstone monoliths north of chinle. It will indeed be toasty, but compared to Tempe, not so bad...
    "Dada, you have an Owwie"

mtbr member
    Well, it's the Navajo Nation. In terms of legality, you could inquire about breaking tribal laws I guess. More likely than not, the slickrock areas that I've heard about belong to a specific tribal chapter. Coconinocycles will know. he grew up in Tuba City.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Riding near Canyon de Chelly?

I was wondering the same thing myself. Hopefully somebody will post something. Some local guys raced xterra in Show Low, so there's some single track.

http://results.active.com/events/deu...on?gender=male

Give it a crank
    A quick search on Strava shows a bunch of road rides on the main roads around Canyon de Chelly but no mtb rides. The nearest mtb rides that appear are to the SE near Fort Defiance.

Here's an example that popped up: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 49kilometers near Fort Defiance | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by ST-->Power View Post
    I was wondering the same thing myself. Hopefully somebody will post something. Some local guys raced xterra in Show Low, so there's some single track.

Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival presented by Trisports.com / XTerra Triathlon | Active.com Race Results
    Show Low is almost closer to Phoenix than Chinle.

There's another forum member who has been checking out the riding near Kayenta. The docs from the hospital have a couple of loops on nearby slickrock.

mtbr member
    If you wanted to ride in the canyon, I would assume you could with a guide. Not sure if any of the guides ride mountain bikes... If you pay them enough, they would certainly oblidge... I visited the canyon( by jeep) a few years back with a Navajo guide... I doubt there is any marked single track up there on the res... Best thing is to try get in touch with a guide or start here... Discover Navajo - Navajo Nation Culture, Tourism, Native American Information

just because "nobody" rides up there doesnt mean you shouldn't .... become a trend setter and be sure to report back to us...
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    There's a guided trip that an outfit runs across the Lukachuki Mtns with a sag wagon but I think most if not all of it is on dirt roads. Check with Ken at Absolute Bikes on that one.

Meatbomb
    If you plan to ride in the canyon you'll need a fat tire bike. That sand is deep !

recovering roadie
    IIRC the mutants rode slickrock near Kayenta. There's a sandstone ridge poking out of the ground heading northeast from town for miles and miles. I've always thought that it would have some good riding.