Meatbomb

Riding on high Ozone days ?

Do you ride on days like today when there is a Ground Level Ozone Alert ? If so, do you feel an impact from the pollution?

I've had a lot of allergy induced respiratory problems this spring and really don't want to cause any additional irritation so I skipped a ride this morning.

Thoughts?

Not a Barry supporter.
    Liberal BS in my opinion. The air quality stinks all year long, not just a day here and there.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    I try not to, but I don't always see the alerts. The conditions are usually about as good as they're going to be in the morning so I try to ride early. A lot of people I know like to ride after work. I just won't even do that anymore.

Edit to add: Yes, I do notice a difference in performance. I also notice a big difference in the amount it aggravates what my doctor said was "exercise induced asthma" (even though I almost never feel the need or want for an inhaler). When it's really bad I feel like I'm going to cough up a lung after even a mild ride.
    Last edited by Yardstick; 04-24-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Shred...it's the new drug
    I love an evening ride with the warm breeze...but when its a brown warm breeze I can definetly tell in my performance. My lungs get full of crap and I am out of breath by the time I get to the top of Mormon. (normally not a problem) Thats why I'm riding early tommarrow morning and wasting time on mtbr now. mmm...pollution. if you go out, where a mask. thanks internal combustion!

I am Walt
    Yes and no. Liberal propaganda.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    i say unless you have a known medical problem, ride while the trail exists. if you wait for a perfect day, we'll all be old, and so far there hasn't been a market for mountain wheelchairs. also i feel the health benefits of riding, easily outweigh the negatives of a little tainted air.

Pivotal figure
    I think LEW has the best response evah! I think those warnings just help people come up with excuses to stay inside and perfect their playstation skillz.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    I think LEW has the best response evah! I think those warnings just help people come up with excuses to stay inside and perfect their playstation skillz.
    BAMM! the sound of my knuckles hitting yers kenbentit.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I ride all the time in the summer. It's not a problem.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I'm "bad" different
    ABC15 said I shouldn't leave the house and instead should stay tuned to find out what else could kill me (turns out it was everything). This morning they had a live shot from Shaw Butte and the weather person said "looks like a good morning for mountain biking...oh wait...no...the pollution." I give my TV the finger more than I should.

Pivotal figure
    Heck, I work outside anyway so why not ride? If I'm doomed I may as well go out happy right
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

EXORCIZE

Science, not faith

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Do you ride on days like today when there is a Ground Level Ozone Alert ? If so, do you feel an impact from the pollution?

I've had a lot of allergy induced respiratory problems this spring and really don't want to cause any additional irritation so I skipped a ride this morning.

Thoughts?
    I can ride all summer, but my friend can sometimes hardly move off his couch. I tried to tell him he was a victim of liberal propaganda, but he wouldn't listen to me.

Use the fed's info as a starting point, but ultimately, listen to your own body, not knee-jerk ideologies or anecdotal info.

According to mainstream science, mornings (and nights) are much better than mid-day or afternoons.

Meatbomb
    welp.. i guess I'm just a *****... I need to lose the skirt and grab a helmet

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Yes and no. Liberal propaganda.
    What the frock is wrong with you and Rodney? Air quality is a freaking measurement, like temperature, humidity and such. Since when did smog become propaganda?
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo

Thoughts?
    I rode this morning, from my house to the Helicopter Pad. The brown cloud was pretty bad.

Ozone levels start out low even on the worst days, and peak in the afternoon. I usually follow the EPA recommendation to avoid strenuous exercise during peak ozone hours, being a member of one of the so-called sensitive groups. (Children, People with Chronic Respiratory problems, and , get this, ACTIVE ADULTS.)

I usually tell a high ozone level by a scratchy throat. But I've seen a person with chronic allergy problems become debilitated on high pollution days.

By the way, a few of the Saguaro blossoms were open this morning. I also saw a giant hairy scorpion, dead, on the trail.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

EXORCIZE

blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    What the frock is wrong with you and Rodney? Air quality is a freaking measurement, like temperature, humidity and such. Since when did smog become propaganda?
    But who's interpretting those measurements? Activist scientists! I believe we've got to get back to appointing strict federal scientists, that is, those who stay true to what scientists believed back in the late 1700's. We can't go thinking for ourselves!

And who believes the EPA? Its run by Bush and his laundry list of money-grubbing private-sector appointees, only proving...wait - oh, I guess I've got it backwards. Crap - even the EPA thinks there's a problem? And even Newt and McGrandpa think climate change mandates a change? Hmmm...
    ride natty ride

Tucson, AZ
    This thread made me think of this sweet twin six shirt that might solve your problems or you could always just move down here to Tucson or up to Flag/Prescott