Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    This is how it started...
    Reputation: sdsantacruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    290

    Riding Arizona in July?

    I just found out I am attending a family reunion in Flagstaff in July.
    Is it to hot to MTB then?
    Can anyone tell me if it is worth hauling my bike from Colorado?
    Any riding around Flagstaff? Grand Canyon?
    Local bike shops to visit?

  2. #2
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    18,499
    Flagstaff is good, it will probably be upper 70s to low 80s, vs. well in excess of 100 or 110 in phoenix. Of course, everybody on these forums likes to pretend that they will ride every day in the 110 weather, but I'll take Flagstaff any day during the summer. The north rim of the grand canyon wouldn't be too bad either, about the same as flagstaff due to the elevation.

    There is most definitely great riding in Flagstaff during the summer, highly worth it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  3. #3
    Its only 1" on the map!
    Reputation: mtbbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsantacruzer
    I just found out I am attending a family reunion in Flagstaff in July.
    Is it to hot to MTB then?
    Can anyone tell me if it is worth hauling my bike from Colorado?
    Any riding around Flagstaff? Grand Canyon?
    Local bike shops to visit?
    Bring the bike. Flagstaff alone would be worth it. Here is my Arizona in Summer Story from 2006.

  4. #4
    I am Doctor Remulak
    Reputation: AZ Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    There is most definitely great riding in Flagstaff during the summer, highly worth it.
    Absolutely.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    ...well in excess of 100 or 110 in phoenix. Of course, everybody on these forums likes to pretend that they will ride every day in the 110 weather...
    Quit being a douche and let it go.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GeeDubb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbill
    Bring the bike. Flagstaff alone would be worth it. Here is my Arizona in Summer Story from 2006.
    I'm looking forward to the "Arizona in Winter Story from 2007"

    Gary

  6. #6
    I am Doctor Remulak
    Reputation: AZ Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,400
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbill
    Bring the bike. Flagstaff alone would be worth it. Here is my Arizona in Summer Story from 2006.
    That's good stuff, I remember checking that out when you posted it the first time. That trip report would be perfect to link to in the local riding advice sticky.

  7. #7
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Of course, everybody on these forums likes to pretend that they will ride every day in the 110 weather
    Are these the same people that pretend that Prescott is actually the Garden of Eden?

    Flagstaff is indeed awesome in the summer months, but be preapred for some monsoon thunderstorms.
    I AM JUST A JERK

  8. #8
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    18,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Are these the same people that pretend that Prescott is actually the Garden of Eden?

    Flagstaff is indeed awesome in the summer months, but be preapred for some monsoon thunderstorms.
    I'll check the air quality and get back to you.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  9. #9
    bhc
    bhc is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    438
    Just come on down to Bullhead City in July, nobody out on the trails, riding is super between 4:30 and 5:30 am.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ruzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    286
    I started riding in July 2006 in Phoenix at 275lbs. I didnt think too much of it because I have lived here since 1979 and have always played sports year round.

    In hind sight learning to ride and build endurance in the hot stuff has probably made me a better rider quicker. Or at least I would like to think so.

    I have not ridden in Flag yet but I am of the belief anytime you can get a ride in you should go for it!!

    Ross

  11. #11
    "Yabut"
    Reputation: MyBike'sBroken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    837
    Yes, bring your bike.
    Asking if there is good riding in Flag, is like asking if there are good chefs in France.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."
    ____________

    www.CosmicRaces.com

  12. #12
    This is how it started...
    Reputation: sdsantacruzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    290
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbill
    Bring the bike. Flagstaff alone would be worth it. Here is my Arizona in Summer Story from 2006.

    Great information and web site. I'll keep this one in my favorites. Looking forward to the trip.

  13. #13
    I am Doctor Remulak
    Reputation: AZ Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,400
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsantacruzer
    Great information and web site. I'll keep this one in my favorites. Looking forward to the trip.
    Post up when you make it to AZ and I'm sure you'll have company for some Flagstaff riding.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •