Go Speed Racer

Riding after the rain...

I was planning on riding tomorrow morning, but with all this rain we got today, and how much cooler it is today (relatively speaking) I am tempted to ride today after work...

When is it too soon to ride after rain? I don't want to cause any ruts / etc...

Thinking about riding either Deem or Sonora Preserve....

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    this was more of a nice soaker than a heavy shitstorm,, i don't think there will be anywhere near the washout damage as the whoppers that ripped thru nearly every day 2 weeks ago

Go Speed Racer
    Cool, way too nice out right now not to ride, going to hit up sonora preserve and maybe checkout that new part that just opened...

mtbr member
    Just ride. If you start getting into a sloppy mess and making ruts then maybe turn around. Chances are you will be fine.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Just ride. If you start getting into a sloppy mess and making ruts then maybe turn around. Chances are you will be fine.
    Sweet, headed out now...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just got off early and I'm running out the garage to Deems!

mtbr member
    How do you get to the new part that opened in Sonoran? I might check that out tonight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Are you talking about the stuff just south of Carefree Hwy & about 7th ave? If so you can park at the light at 7th ave/carefree and catch the trail. I rode that stuff yesterday from my house....to me it was fun flowy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    How do you get to the new part that opened in Sonoran? I might check that out tonight.

Ahhh the pain....
    Deems on the east side was a mudfest...wow, that storm must have really dumped a lot of rain there.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeDestroyer View Post
    Are you talking about the stuff just south of Carefree Hwy & about 7th ave? If so you can park at the light at 7th ave/carefree and catch the trail. I rode that stuff yesterday from my house....to me it was fun flowy stuff.
    Just got back and it was awesome out! Overcast, couple of very light drizzles and barely hit 90! As for the new part, I guess I meant new to me... I rode Dixie Mountain Loop from the main parking lot (done that lots of times), the new part was adding on the Bobcat trail, rode it just past the gate and started in between the houses. I guess I needed to keep going to get to the new stuff, did not have that much time to explore today, but I will be back!

Riding after the rain...-img-20120907-00461.jpg
    Riding after the rain...-img-20120907-00462.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I go in off that trail from my house (Bobcat). The newer stuff I'm talking about is actually North/NE of there up to Carefree Hwy/7th Ave. I haven't found the singletrack from Bobcat to that area (if there is any yet). You would have to take the pavement where you come out of Bobcat North then take jeep trail to the newer stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Just got back and it was awesome out! Overcast, couple of very light drizzles and barely hit 90! As for the new part, I guess I meant new to me... I rode Dixie Mountain Loop from the main parking lot (done that lots of times), the new part was adding on the Bobcat trail, rode it just past the gate and started in between the houses. I guess I needed to keep going to get to the new stuff, did not have that much time to explore today, but I will be back!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120907-00461.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	152.2 KB 
ID:	722319
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20120907-00462.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	722320

mtbr member
    Where is the Bobcat section?
    -boom

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by boomvader View Post
    Where is the Bobcat section?
    Goes from Sonoran Desert Dr to the Dixie Mtn Loop

mtbr member
    -boom

mtbr member
    I rode Deems this morning for the first time in a couple of months. It was a little muddy, and a lot rockier than I remember. Made it a little more technical and fun. Looking forward to the cooler weather!!

mtbr member
    I was out there last night. Didn't go to the new part, did my same old Dixie Mtn and Horned Owl loop. Jeez, man, Horned Owl is a mess, the whole place is, actually. So much erosion and wash outs. They need to work on some of that.

mtbr member
    I rode up the switchbacks to the top this morning. Lots of newly formed ruts! Lots of fun! It's like a whole new trail!
    -boom