Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Is riding at 5am worth the loss of sleep ? -- You damn right it's worth it.

I started my Phoenix Sonoran Preserve ride at 5am this morning... wow, what beautiful weather...

When the temps are flirting with 110, it's really the only way I can enjoy riding...
    Below Par on the Gnar

Go Speed Racer
    I tried it a few times and really liked it. However, I just can not bring myself to wake up that early on a regular basis, so I have switched to night riding (and love it).

How much further ???
    Yup its the only way to go this time of the year. Its so flipping bright out at 5:30 these days getting up is a non issue. Well that and 3 kids under 4 never let me sleep in anyway.

I actaully plan my morning rides at Hawes such that the first half of the ride is in very early morning sun with the later half of the ride being in the shadow of the Usery Mtns. Need to get clever this time of year.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    I like how I can get my ride in, and still have all day left for other fun!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    I love the early ride. No one on the trail, kinda coolish temps, and I seem to have more energy during the day after a jump start.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    one thing that helps me is to have the coffee ready to go with water/filter/and grinds... All I do is click the button as soon as I get out of bed...

The smell of Komodo Dragon is a great motivator
    Below Par on the Gnar

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    one thing that helps me is to have the coffee ready to go with water/filter/and grinds... All I do is click the button as soon as I get out of bed...

The smell of Komodo Dragon is a great motivator
    If your coffeemaker has a timer, you don't even have to click the button in the morning...the coffee is sitting there ready and waiting for you!
    Ride more; post less...

No Clue Crew
    5a is a must for summer riding. I just love being ON the trail when the sun comes up. I've been flirting with a 3a or 4a Magicshine ride just for the heck of it. Get a couple hours in and then back to sleep for a couple?

Vincit qui patitur
    I'm out the door by 4:15.
    SOMO MTB or Pecos Roadbike.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

Need more cowbell
    We were out at Sonoran north trails at 6. It was nice out...5 might be a little too early for me.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    I started my Phoenix Sonoran Preserve ride at 5am this morning... wow, what beautiful weather...

When the temps are flirting with 110, it's really the only way I can enjoy riding...
    It is the only way to ride. I love it for a few reason.
    1) Cool in the summer. I can ride all summer long going early. 70F Start temps can't be beat.
    2) The pre-sunrise light is cool and the trails are empty
    3) Allows me to ride early (3hrs) and get home and still have all day to do things. Important with a family.

I get up at 4am for work normally so I just get up the same to ride at 5 to 5:15am
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I preferred a 7PM ish start during the summer, but that's me. Let the sun go down behind the mountains and it's fine.

In the morning, you're still in the sun, and hard exertion in the sun always made me feel sick. I always thought night riding was kind of pointless, at least from the perspective of doing it to beat the heat. In July/August, it reliably won't go below 90-95*. If you start out at 10 or 11, it's still the same temp it was at 7PM, so what are you really gaining? If you like to ride at night, that's fine, but I can't really see the logic in doing it to beat the heat, unless you go out at 3AM or something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Weak.

Afternoons are the way, long sleeves and you won't be very hot. The Mexicans w/ the leaf blowers know this, why can't you yuppies figure it out?
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Give it a crank
    It's pretty much the only time to ride in pleasant temps, well worth it. It gets a little harder when the monsoon moisture fills the atmosphere though.

Last year there was a particular day when I got back from a ride just after 7am and my outdoor thermometer was already showing 95F. Talk about beating the heat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Weak.

Afternoons are the way, long sleeves and you won't be very hot. The Mexicans w/ the leaf blowers know this, why can't you yuppies figure it out?
    Even the Messicans start at 4 am.

mtbr member
    I get up at 5:30 am for work, so getting up a bit earlier on my day off is pretty easy.

mtbr member

Is riding at 5am worth the loss of sleep ? -- You damn right it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    5a is a must for summer riding. I just love being ON the trail when the sun comes up. I've been flirting with a 3a or 4a Magicshine ride just for the heck of it. Get a couple hours in and then back to sleep for a couple?
    Did this last year in late spring at MMP and it was a great experience. The trails are pretty cool just when the sun barely starts to rise.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i squeeze in both sleep and riding around work breaks

DFL>DNF>DNS
    So, no one here is going to join me today for a 3pm spin @SoMo??? I'll save my early a.m. desert rides for the weekend if I'm not up enjoying the pines.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I preferred a 7PM ish start during the summer, but that's me. Let the sun go down behind the mountains and it's fine.

In the morning, you're still in the sun, and hard exertion in the sun always made me feel sick. I always thought night riding was kind of pointless, at least from the perspective of doing it to beat the heat. In July/August, it reliably won't go below 90-95*. If you start out at 10 or 11, it's still the same temp it was at 7PM, so what are you really gaining? If you like to ride at night, that's fine, but I can't really see the logic in doing it to beat the heat, unless you go out at 3AM or something.
    Well, I have found that 100 degrees with the sun beating down on you is COMPLETLY different than 100 degress with no sun. For example the next time you are out riding during the day stop in the shade and notice how much different it is than in the full sun. I rode last night and it was still around 100 and it did not feel hot at all. But thats just me. To each their own. I just can't motivate myself to get up early to ride before work during the week. So for me it is: Weekdays, ride at night after work and the family has gone to bed, Weekends, ride in the morning and get home as the family is waking up...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Well, I have found that 100 degrees with the sun beating down on you is COMPLETLY different than 100 degress with no sun....
    I agree... No doubt and a dry 100 degrees without sun is ok... but I still prefer the 75 degrees with no sun or very low angle...
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    If your coffeemaker has a timer, you don't even have to click the button in the morning...the coffee is sitting there ready and waiting for you!
    I know.. I don't have that type of coffe maker, but I think I may change that ...
    Below Par on the Gnar

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    So, no one here is going to join me today for a 3pm spin @SoMo??? I'll save my early a.m. desert rides for the weekend if I'm not up enjoying the pines.
    What do you plan on riding? Been flirting with the idea of riding after work today...but that would be more like hit the trail head about 4:30
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Even the Messicans start at 4 am.
    Must be some gentle, tolerant, yuppies in your hood. Here in the white ghetto, they don't even think of firing up those contraptions until after 9am.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by juggles View Post
    What do you plan on riding? Been flirting with the idea of riding after work today...but that would be more like hit the trail head about 4:30
    Dunno, I messed around on DC/Loops on Monday & Javelina/Mormon/Natty last Wed. I may just head up 24th St today to the saddle, maybe Geronimo down or just back down Natty. My window is 3-5:30p every Wed & most Mondays. I even thought about hitting up Papago for something different today, been a while since I cruised around over there.
    Ski. Ride. Hike. Be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast