Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Riding on 2/19??

Anyone else have the day of and want to head out for a spin? I'm pretty open on location but will say I have never ridden pass mtn...Post up or send me a PM if interested..

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    I plan on heading out to the Estrella Race loops behind PIR for some course pre-riding for next Saturday. However, check your weather listing. Showers are in the forecast.

I will be out there at 10am unless its pouring rain.

parenting for gnarness
    I plan to ride that day, but not sure how my weekend will unfold just yet. Pass Mtn sounds good. I could also be convinced to do Goat Camp or the Mcdowell climbs.

dirt visionary
    If I have nothing else going on I plan on riding from walgreens to Hawes down twisted sister and wildhorse , stopping at the nra pit for a few drops and then on over to pass around and back down wildhorse back to Hawes . But I am by no means an expert just love to ride . Last time around pass mt it took 2 1/2 hours. Hawes up around and down over to twisted thru nra and back is roughly 2 hrs or so so I plan on a 5-6 hr ride calling it safe. I will post back if its a go for me.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    I have never ridden at Hawes. I might pre-ride Estrella Sat/Sun and do that Hawes thing with Clockwork. Post again if its a go with a FIP time and place.

dirt visionary
    Will do here are some average shots of Hawes and pass mt. I did Pass mt on a 3.5 " travel bike and the back side was pretty harsh on the back side of the saddle . Broke my old frame at mc dowell and went around pass on a hardtail ( won't do that again ) .

Hawes

and pass mt from my cell phone cam

the pucker point on the way down the saddle.

you end up down there on the bottom with a ton of rock inbetween.

******ed or Branded??
    i'm down to hit pss mt. and hawes. never done either so i have a few questions. first will a 7-7 bike be to much for the mentioned trails or should my crappy xc fsr be ok!!
    second, now if i do bring the 7-7 would some armor be a little over kill??? knee/shin/elbow

parenting for gnarness
    this would be fun if we get a group together, I'd be in.

the route total is 35ish miles, a few more or less depending on routes. about 3.5k total climbing.

Hawes is mostly hardpack with a decent amout of sandy, nothing real technical but some rocks on occasion. its got lots of rolls, some steep and narrow, rolling hills, great views. A tighter bike is a better choice, not a lot of people wear armor on it.

Pass Mtn has a few steps and drops, lots of steep descents into and out of washes with obstacles. nothing really gnar except maybe the saddle, but it works you plenty and its easy to make a mistake. Big cushy bike would be nice on some of this trail, but tighter response will be better overall imo.

There is a water fountain\port o let at the Wind Cave trail head which is just a bit past halfway through the ride. You could stage a car on the road between Hawes and Pass Mtn and hit it at 1/3 and 2/3 done the ride.

dirt visionary
    The xcfsr would prolly be a better choice as there are really only a few spots where more travel come in handy but not necessary this will be my first longish ride on the new enduro and I am out to see how it compares to my 5" travel motobecane . As for armor I don't really know I don't wear armor nor crash often and most times if I do lose it I catch myself. I say if you have a tendancy to come close to losing it alot or the front end like to come from under you I would say yes. Alot will also say they left their share of blood on pass mt .

dirt visionary
    Here is a map by Dale at epic rider.

Sometimes I use the big saguaro trail (green) but at the end you meet a hill that goes up for some time.

http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=54&pos=6

******ed or Branded??
    wow 35 miles!!! this is gonna be the longest ride i will ever do. so if this is happening i am down like four flat tires!!!! hahahaha. just let me know where to meet at

last "Q" how much and how bad are the climbs? i know you said about 3.5k within the 35 mile loop. just how hard are they? i will have to be bring my 7-7 freeride bike but it climbs decently. i can climb 95% of T100. My xc fsr has a wobbly hub it rides ok just wobbles a bit in the rear. just don't want to get irratated about that so i'll just bring the bigger bike. oh yeah i am a bit slow on the climbs.

parenting for gnarness
    the climbs on Hawes have their moments, but nothing extended or super-steep. 1 mile\300 feet up type of stuff. the big bike will be ok with some pushing on occasion. If we decide to do Hawes trail and Tower trail up into Las Sendas (red spur between the 2 loops on Epicrider's map) that is about 600 feet up in 3 miles.

Pass Mtn has nothing real steep, but there are 2 ~30 min techy climbs that wear you down and they include steep spurts in the washes.

check out the elevation profile on the map to get an idea -- you can see its rolly. so I'd say you will have some pushing with the big bike but nothing too long, its all ridable (but tiring) on an XC bike. hope that helps.

also, I usually ride thorn-resistant tubes out here - the connector between Hawes and PM has some cactucs. more weight but less flats.

you'll have to use this to get fired up for 6 Shooter and going fast there Ricky Bobby :-)

******ed or Branded??
    thanks for all info there chollaball, it is greatly appreciated

man i am so stoked about hitting six shooter. more reason to ride the big bike. i need to get used to it. just hope i don't bite it too damn hard which i know is gonna happen, cause i suck

chollaball, by the sounds of it are you gonna hit up the globe march 3000 also? carpool??

dirt visionary
    I haven't ever taken the tower trail . Is that an up an back type spur?

parenting for gnarness
    Tower trail is the loop you see in the center of the photo. The spur running right/left across the picture is Hawes. The junction in the top left is the route back down Saddleback and towards Mine, Twisted Sister etc. Its a couple miles up then down. tough up, frickin stupid fun down. it takes 45-60 min from the split with Saddleback and back.

image is captured from Topofusion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

parenting for gnarness
    bump.

So is this happening? Meeting at Walgreens? What time? ride could be 5-6 hrs spinning time + breaks and mechs.

mtbr member
    Sounds good guys but I don't think I can hang for 6hrs on a rigid bike and by the looks of it, everyone is taking full suspension...

******ed or Branded??
    hey fuzz we'll let you set the pace. just give me some time on the climbs. i'm bringing a 40lbs bike to a 6hr ride, and we can always shorten the ride if need be. let's just try to get as many folks out for the ride.

chollaball count me in, so walgreens the meeting place and what is the ETA????

mtbr member
    Alright then, the earlier the better for me. Ideally 9'ish so I don't have to cut it short to do the daycare pickup...
    Like you said, I can always head back early..
    Last edited by theFuzz; 02-18-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Low speed, High Drag
    Joe, you can take my 6" bike. It's heavy, and you'll get a hell of a workout riding that thing around. Good training for your Epic Prescott ride.

parenting for gnarness
    I live around the corner, you guys can pick the start time that is convenient for y'all.

Directions:
    From west, central, north, and anywhere that is close to 101: get yourself to 202 east towards Mesa. Take 202 til it ends at Power road. Go left, about .5 to the 1st major intersection at Thomas. The Walgreens is across the street and to your left. Park sort of behind the building by the dumpsters, they are very tolerant of rider parking there.

From south mesa, AJ, Queen Creek: take Power rd north til Thomas. see above for the rest.

Walgreen's
    3624 N. Power
    Mesa, AZ 85215

mapquest link:
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...y=US&geodiff=1

mtbr member
    Sounds like a plan, would anyone object to a 9:00 start??

******ed or Branded??
    bump up!!!!!

and 9-9:30 meet time at walgreens would be good. i tend to be on hawaiian time (being late). hence the half hour gap meeting time

dirt visionary
    Its a go for me and my normal riding buddy . 9ish @walgreens sounds fine I live 15mins away. I am also not concerened about speed or pace as I have never ridden with anyone other than my buddy so I have no clue what everyones pace is . On short rides I can hammer it for a while but seeing this will be my first time combining both I am up for a social pace but if everyones cranking it I will also . Maybe we can leave out the tower trail to shorten it or make it more rigid friendly however I kow from personal experience that the back side of pass mt isn't rigid friendly but can be doable but just at a slower pace.

parenting for gnarness
    its all good with me let's sort it out and make everyone happy. I'm just psyched for a long day and to meet some new people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast