Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation: GETSTUPID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,467

    Ridin After Rain??

    Just woke up, looked outside and saw of course that it rained last night! When i used to ride bmx we wouldnt dare ride after rain cause it would damage the trails, my question is...is it safe to ride papago after the rain? Is it hard packed enough from so many years of riding? Are we gonna mess up the trail, leaving huge tire ruts in them? is it a waste of my time going?

  2. #2
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,771
    Think you will be fine as it did not rain hard enough to get the ground saturated with water. Might be out there myself for a spin later today. I have been told it is pretty tough to hurt our local trials by riding after it rains. But use common sense, if there is a large puddle you may want to ride the edge without cutting new trial.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  3. #3
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,014
    Quote Originally Posted by GETSTUPID
    Just woke up, looked outside and saw of course that it rained last night! When i used to ride bmx we wouldnt dare ride after rain cause it would damage the trails, my question is...is it safe to ride papago after the rain? Is it hard packed enough from so many years of riding? Are we gonna mess up the trail, leaving huge tire ruts in them? is it a waste of my time going?

    i would think that it is cool to hit the trails after a light rain. i don't think that i rained that hard last night. i've hit T100 a handfull of times after a rain and it actually gives you a little better traction around certain areas of the trail. IMHO i would condone your riding today... now i am just deciding if i should to somo (light dh) or hit lost dog trail (am riding)... your welcome to join

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    24
    The northern part of Papago around Contact Hill, and south of McDowell Rd. should be fine. That's pretty much all crushed granite.

    I think the only place where it would get way to sloppy would be down by the freeway, where it's just powder when dry.

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation: GETSTUPID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,467
    I have ridden there many years ago, but lately i have seen some stuff on the forums about jumps out at papago? Is there? Where can i find these?

  6. #6
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,014
    if your going to the jumps i might just have to tagg along on this one if it's ok... i cam pm you the directions

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    24
    They're not too hard to find.

    Go up to Hunt's Tomb (the pyramid) over looking the zoo... go down from there, and to the left of the zoo (when facing the zoo), follow that path through the first little parking lot, keep following the zoo fence (look at the Bighorn Sheep!) even after it turns to concrete, hit the end, go under the canal, across the street- and then you can't miss it.

    However, that's going to be one huge mud hole today. There's usually a good 4" worth of powder there all the time.

  8. #8
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,014
    if papago is gonna be a gaint puddle hoow about somo??? anyone down to hit that up???

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation: GETSTUPID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,467
    Just gettin back into ridin, and for some CRAZY reason somo intimidates the $h!t outta me??? Get im not ready to "getstupid" just yet lol. Once i get my new bike i think i will have more confidence. My jamis is nice, just seems a little stiff

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation: GETSTUPID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,467
    one more quickie before i head out, only helmet i have is a bellistic full face, papago get rough enough to where i will need it?

  11. #11
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,014
    yeah i am gonna bring my fullface too... but i am also bring my xc helmet too just in case i do some am riding. bring as much armor as possible if you are gonna be new to this caue that is what i am doing!!!

  12. #12
    AKA shitbird
    Reputation: eabos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,340
    The Papago jumps are mucho fun. Except that my last time out there I ended up in the E.R. with 14 stitches to the leg. I need to get back out there.....with armor.
    JRA

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by GETSTUPID
    Just gettin back into ridin, and for some CRAZY reason somo intimidates the $h!t outta me??? Get im not ready to "getstupid" just yet lol. Once i get my new bike i think i will have more confidence. My jamis is nice, just seems a little stiff
    Don't let South Mountain scare you. It's not that bad, really. I gathered from your other post that you're pretty much a beginner (I am too, and I'll call myself a beginner till someone forces me otherwise).

    If you want to give South Mountain a shot, my friends and I are going to be there on Sunday, in the morning, most likely around 10-ish...?

    Don't worry about the bike you have too much either. I know that in our little group, each guy has a COMPLETELY different bike...and we all ride the same trail together.
    Last edited by ASUTyler; 02-14-2007 at 01:42 PM.

  14. #14
    ******ed or Branded??
    Reputation: doodooboi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,014
    Quote Originally Posted by ASUTyler
    Don't let South Mountain scare you. It's not that bad, really. I gathered from your other post that you're pretty much a beginner (I am too, and I'll call myself a beginner till someone forces me otherwise).

    If you want to give South Mountain a shot, my friends and I are going to be there on Sunday, in the morning, most likely around 10-ish...?

    Don't worry about the bike you have too much either. I know that in our little group, each guy has a COMPLETELY different bike...and we all ride the same trail together.

    that sounds really cool!!! i am really a beginner too so hope you guys don't mind i tag along one of these sundays to ride with you guys?? i work this weekend but next week sunday i am down like two flat tires!!!! hahahaha

    arvin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •