Epic Builder
    Jun 2007

Ride Where?!? Yuma, AZ – Laguna Mountains (Sugarloaf Peak)

Note: This is part of a continuing series highlighting local trail systems far removed from mainstream destinations.

“Hey bro, we’re heading to Yuma to ride for the weekend, you wanna come?”
    “Can’t, but have fun on the quad and say hi to all the dez’rt buds at Wells.”
    “No man, we’re riding MTBs.”
    (pause)
    “Uhhh…no dude, you’re f’n crazy.”

Directly twenty miles east of the Grays Wells, rolling sand dunes are replaced by rolling hills. Here, the Laguna Mountains border the southwest corner of the US Army’s Yuma Proving Grounds. Word had it that there were miles of singletrack to be had in the Yuma area. So while everyone else was spending the long weekend at the dunes, we got our ride on.

The trailhead for the area is adjacent to the county transfer station on E County 5th St. The land here is barren, rugged, and at times pure scorched earth.

Look around and you’ll see a few ocotillos, barrel cactus, and cholla.

Other times you’ll see fields of dark glazed rocks sitting on top of the sand colored ground.

A surreal landscape that leaves you at times wondering what it would be like to ride on the moon.

Nearly pure desolation with just the sound of tires crushing over rocky ground.

There’s no question these trails were built by MTBers.

Similar to the Las Vegas Cottonwood trail system, these trails aren’t buffed out.

Retaining a rough & rustic edge about them, they’re a welcome change to sanitized trails that see tens of thousands of users each year.

A shallow layer of loose stone is ever present, but the hardened ground most always provides traction.

“Mountains” is a misnomer for an area that is mainly comprised of drainages and ridgelines.

Sugarloaf Peak is the prominent butte-like feature that acts as a good reference point.

The crisscrossing network isn’t signed, but two small cairns spaced two feet apart usually mark when the singletrack veers off an ATV or Jeep road.

Rhinos and Mules stick to their ATV tracks and motos don’t seem to frequent the area, so the singletrack stays narrow and demands your full attention.

Finding trailtread much over a foot in width is like a celebrity citing in Topeka, Kansas.

This particular day we put in 15 miles over 4 hours and didn’t even ride a quarter of the trail system.

Suffice to say, most will never consider Yuma as MTB destination. But it’s hard to argue against two trail networks, totaling 50+ miles of dedicated singletrack, which can keep one occupied for 2-3 days. The Sugarloaf trail system has been in place for well over a decade and will still be quietly there at the end of the next decade while other trail systems go extinct. Stop in at Johnny Yuma’s Bicycles on 4th Street for a map that will help keep your sanity. All it takes is an open mind for some wide open riding.

Laguna Mountains (Sugarloaf Peak)
    Yuma, AZ
    40+ miles of singletrack

recovering roadie
    Sweet. Thanks for posting these. Always nice to see trails I'm not normally exposed to.

Kathleen in AZ
    Again.... great post!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I can't wait to come ride these trails. It will be great to ride trails that have not been sterilized with brooms and made 5 feet wide! Real singletrack! A great big thank you to the crew that built this system!!! WELL DONE!

My other ride is your mom
    keep it up, love the report.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Great report! I love that scorched earth, apocalyptic Mad Max type terrain. Makes me feel like mountain biking is really about survival, trying not to be eaten by a rad scorpion or abducted by aliens. The singletrack looks really good too. I love me a small, crunchy ribbon of dirt. Sweet, sweet music! Thanks!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Mods, can we add this to the Where to ride in AZ sticky? Good stuff

Saucy Size
    Added!

I rode out there when I was working on my book. This was like...1997 or 1998 or so. Long time ago. The network was still pretty underdeveloped, but had lots of promise. It is freaky to ride out there, even when it's not deadly-hot. Everything is so baked and alien, you can actually smell the oxidization coming off the rocks. Weird place. Lots of ruins. Very apocalyptic.

Great looking map -- I don't suppose anyone brought a big-boy mapping tool like a GPS?
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Epic Builder
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Great looking map -- I don't suppose anyone brought a big-boy mapping tool like a GPS?
    I had my GPS but as I said, we barely rode a 1/4 of it in 15 mi. I'd need to spend another 2-3 days mapping that entire network, so perhaps I'll chip away at it on future AZ trips to PHX and TUS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You never disappoint. Like I said before, next trip to Yuma, the bike comes with! Thanks!!

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GP_pilot
    I had my GPS but as I said, we barely rode a 1/4 of it in 15 mi. I'd need to spend another 2-3 days mapping that entire network, so perhaps I'll chip away at it on future AZ trips to PHX and TUS.
    Can you load it up on a free account at GeoLadders, so that others can load it on their GPS, like an Edge 305 or something?
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=42983

Go to the "Rides" Tab, in the upper middle of the page is "Upload my Ride"

At the bottom of the new page, in dark blue, it says "Upload a New Route". Click on that with your GPS hooked up, and it will upload your logs.

Good stuff!

You can add more to GeoLadders the next time you head on out there.

banned
    Sep 2007
    I have to say, doing the AZ Trail JAMBOREE out of Vail that AZepicriderandrunner put together last Saturday was flat out amazing in the quality of the people you meet riding in AZ. Many of us are so like minded in having the desire to explore and taste some new dirt, from a little bit of beta shared here on MTBR. It's just more goods to sample and taste.'
    Last edited by Boyonabyke; 01-20-2011 at 04:40 PM.

mtbr member
    I had the chance to ride this system a few times when I was assigned to a project at the Yuma Proving Grounds in the Fall of '09 and just have to say your report was spot on. Not really a destination but if you're passing through, or there working, these are very fun XC style tracks to get some miles in. Great photos too, they really capture what the riding is like.
    I'm here for the OT

Chunky Monkey

Gonna Kill This one Also...

Great pics.

It seems I always kill threads.....Hope I do not kill this one.

These trails are that are not all that bad, at least a ride is a ride.....

Good bike shop down there.

http://bikeshops.mtbr.com/cat/united...0_6215crx.aspx

If you see a fat ass on the trail it may be me and NOT but could be a mule or donkey...I have called more than this-that.

Check out the wilderness area by the river with the c-store and the bar....

Thx,
    John
    Lurkers Unite! Never mind....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have ridden there a few times now and do like it. I done a bit of exploring off the trail designated in green on the attached map but not much. Looks like GP has ventured much farther north than I have. GP, how often do you ride there or is it just a passing through thing (sounds like you are in SoCal?). I would love to get a tour of the areas north of Ryans and Champagne at some point. Yuma's on my radar as my parents call it home so I do get there a number of times throughout the year. Thanks for the write-up, several of the pictures I haven't ridden yet and I do want to....good job on the report.
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member

Gonna try it

Business takes me to Yuma on occassion. The bike will be with me for Sugarloaf next trip. Very nice post. Thanks!

Over the Hill
    Nice!

Sean you are the internet traveler. I say that in a good way you have alway been great in doing our recon work for us.

Dean

mtbr member
    I will be in Yuma over a weekend early June, I wont be able to get my bike out there from NY. is there any place in Yuma to rent a bike for a day?
    Trek Fuel EX 6
    Cannondale F5
    Felt Z100

My photos

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Rode here again 6-7-11

I did pretty much the same trails I have done in the interest of time. I did deviate from the attached map adding in the "Sidwalk section on single track between Champagne and T-Bird. A fun downhill run of ST that beats the 2-track run between the 2 trails shown on the map. I cleaned everything without issue as the trails are seeing more tire tread and are getting beat in so some of the loose steep sections that were a crapshoot to climb before are very doable now without much concentration, its just lungs and legs now. Finished the 13.16 miles in 1:23:56 and enjoyed every minute. Started at 5:30am so the weather was PERFECT. Anyone on here have trails on here that I should give a chance to? Liberty Bell maybe? What are the trails like to the north end I haven't ridden? I don't always have time to explore when in Yuma so some suggestions might help me shortcut the recon time to find the good loops! Going to ride there either Thursday or Friday morning again before i head back to PHX. - Brian
    Attached Files Attached Files

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by cjaghblb View Post
    I don't always have time to explore when in Yuma so some suggestions might help me shortcut the recon time to find the good loops! Going to ride there either Thursday or Friday morning again before i head back to PHX. - Brian
    I know you are asking for ride recommendations, but here are some other recommendations:

Bean and cheese burrito from Chile Pepper/Mr. G's
    Rolled tacos from Pablo's
    Birria or barbacoa from Mi Rancho
    Beers and entertainment at Bar Olympico in Los Algodones

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Knocked a good chunk of time off the ride this morning, 1:18:57 for the same course. I get a bit OCD and just like to ride fast on stuff I know so exploring was out of the question again. FUN FUN FUN trails, definitely worth the trip IMHO. Tomorrow I just spend 2 hours and ride new trails out there. I will make myself do it! The photos in the report show some trails that look a bit more challenging that the climbs I currently have on my loop so I am going to be looking for those.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My brother and I just came back from riding this area. It is a great place to ride and has lots of options. Definitely got to come back and ride more of the trails. We were wandering around for a good bit of time but made a big loop of about 11 miles, getting up to Sugarloaf Peak. The bike shop in Yuma was less than helpful. I think the only guy in the shop when we were there over the lunch hour was the shop mechanic who was more interested in surfing the web than helping us or selling anything. They had no maps and he didn't give us any insights about riding there. I say bypass the place, download the Sugarloaf pdf in one of the posts above and go explore. No one else was around the day we rode (February 21). Another good place to ride is the Kofa Wildlife Refuge. The road down to Horse Tank is fun. We heard the road to Kofa Queen is also supposed to be good, but after hiking to Palm Canyon we didn't have time.

mtbr member
    Cool thread.

mtbr member

Parking

I headed out to the trail head to find that the place is shut down. There are County Public Works No Trespassing signs everywhere I looked. Looked for alternate parking but could not find any.

Update 3/28/13
    Headed down to talk to Johnny Yuma. When I told him of my experience, I detected a hint of frustration, the area is not closed, the county waste transfer station is there and the no trespassing signs are for those areas.
    Cross the canal and make a sharp left,taking the single lane dirt road up until you reach a wide spot, just a hundred feet or so, then park. The trail takes off and heads around the fenced in area with all the tires. Or ride up the single lane dirt road until you reach the Ryan Trail and head up on it.
    Hope this helps those trying to find the only single track system in Yuma.
    Last edited by k2kelley; 03-28-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Update

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    "I will be in Yuma over a weekend early June, I wont be able to get my bike out there from NY. is there any place in Yuma to rent a bike for a day?"

Riding in June would be brutal, with 110 degree temps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Are you sure you went to the right place? We were just there in February and there are lots of places to park and camp along the canal. If you went into the city dump, you went too far--need to turn left after crossing over the canal on a bridge and there are many places to start out. The road runs nearly to Sugarloaf Peak. Maybe need to check your directions.

K&K
    Just getting back into Mountain Biking after a 20 year hiatus. Just got back from a ride out here and I'm really excited. We have spent years hiking and rock-crawling around here but never really looked at the trails from a mountain biking perspective and didn't realize how fun this kind of terrain can be. Today was a BLAST and really quite a surprise. Lots of variety in challenges, some sphincter clenchers and some fast sections down and up washes that you can bomb. Great fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks so much for the description and the oh-so explanatory photos!

K&K

Pics from Sugarloaf

Here's a few pics from our rides over the past few months
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ride Where?!?   Yuma, AZ – Laguna Mountains (Sugarloaf Peak)-securedownload.jpg  

Ride Where?!?   Yuma, AZ – Laguna Mountains (Sugarloaf Peak)-996747_281828795297433_535041994_n.jpg  

Ride Where?!?   Yuma, AZ – Laguna Mountains (Sugarloaf Peak)-2013-12-16-18.05.24.jpg  

Ride Where?!?   Yuma, AZ – Laguna Mountains (Sugarloaf Peak)-4-corners-ii.jpg  

Ride Where?!?   Yuma, AZ – Laguna Mountains (Sugarloaf Peak)-field-repairs-4-20-2014-11-49-011.jpg  

Ride Where?!?   Yuma, AZ – Laguna Mountains (Sugarloaf Peak)-2013-09-07-08.34.38.jpg  

Ride Where?!?   Yuma, AZ – Laguna Mountains (Sugarloaf Peak)-crash-dummy.jpg  

K&K

Trail maps and descripions

Over the past year, I have been submitting maps of the Sugarloaf Peak Trails for MTBProject. You can find maps, descriptions and photos here Desert Mountain Bikers of Yuma

It would be great to get more ratings, photos and comments on these, as they are all from my perspective.

I also created a Facebook group, Desert Mountain Bikers of Yuma - http://tinyurl.com/jtgstoc - where rides and trailwork are coordinated. At this point, Saturday morning social rides (no drop, beginners welcome, as slow as the slowest rider) and "get up and go rides" (a bit more gung-ho) usually happen a couple times a week.

Please don't be shy! If you're new to the area, just passing through, or a local who wants someone to ride with, please post up on the FB page. We like showing off our trails and enjoy riding with all levels of riders.

Ride Where?!?   Yuma, AZ – Laguna Mountains (Sugarloaf Peak)-meetup1.jpeg

Ride Where?!?   Yuma, AZ – Laguna Mountains (Sugarloaf Peak)-dankathykarl-topoftheworld.jpg

Ride Where?!?   Yuma, AZ – Laguna Mountains (Sugarloaf Peak)-20160227_083318.jpg

Ride Where?!?   Yuma, AZ – Laguna Mountains (Sugarloaf Peak)-2013-10-05-12.13.48.jpg

Ride Where?!?   Yuma, AZ – Laguna Mountains (Sugarloaf Peak)-2013-10-05-08.26.21.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ki5ka; 04-25-2016 at 06:34 PM.