mtbr member

Ride Report: Go John/Overton

it doesn't appear to be a very popular trail but i honestly had a blast out there today. they have rerouted areas of both go john and overton, and more work is still going on (they were woking on a section of overton as i rode by) but this was my first time on these trails so i have no comparison between old and new.

my chronological perception of the trails: mix of smooth climbs with nice views, a few tech climbs requiring a fair share of body english and skill, a short bit of hike-a-bike (for me anyway), gnarly rocky DH with decent pucker factor (all totally rideable though and i did clean it all), wide dirt road climb and fast fun DH with some erosion logs and a few nice lips to get some air. mix in a little exposure and you have some good stuff, imo.

i only did the one loop as i was feeling the heat at 2 p.m. did go john CCW to overton and back down to the lot. 4 horses came off the trail right as i pulled up and i didn't see another one the rest of the day. one other biker coming down go john CW in the first half mile of my start. a lot of hikers however and they were all super friendly with more than a few making comments along the lines of "how do you ride down this stuff?!" (always nice to get those types of comments... ) with one older gentleman asking me if i had ever died on the trail...

not a long ride but fun none the less.

pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Occidental Tourist
    what kinda time/mileage?
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Meatpuppet
    it is a fun trail, however I think the reason it doesn't get much love is the fact that its so short. I dont believe there is anything to really link a longer ride out of it. fun no less though.

igoslo
    I've only been there once and that was last summer with the "crew". The route I tracked was Go John CCW to Overton, around to the lot, back up the middle, and down Overton again. It was just under nine miles and that was more than enough of a ride in the 110 degrees we were riding in that day.

AKA shitbird
    I rode that once a couple years ago and loved it. Definitely short though. You can absolutely fly down that DH section near the end. That's some serious trail building equipment, unfortunately it means the new trails will have all rocks removed and be smooth as a road ride. I really hate that. Don't hikers enjoy rocks/obstacles too?
    JRA

Too many Sedonuts...
    You may have noticed some trails that lead off away from the main trails....I talked to the guys at Flat Tire up in Cave Creek about a year ago and they were saying it's possible to string together 20-30 miles using all the trails in the area. There's allegedly lots of trails beyond what is on the park map.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

It rains here. :(
    As I recall Go John could use some re-routing in a few spots, that last push up to the mine at the top is like straight up. On the flipside, I wouldn't want the thing to be like 4 feet wide (like the first climb starting CCW).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I really enjoyed that trail last time I was there on New Year's Eve in '05 I think. The party started the night before but it is a fun trail so it wasn't too bad being a bit on the hung-over side of the equation. Some climbs were steep and that bit of rock downhill was a bit of tech fun. I believe we rode it anti-clockwise.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    what kinda time/mileage?
    sorry for the late reply yuri. looks like you got most of the info however.
    i don't use a computer or any sort of timing device on my bike or body so i'm ballparking things here:

based on maps prior to the rerouting i'll go with ~6 miles for the loop i did.
    i was out there for ~2 hours which included 1 pinch flat that took forever to change since my minipump is worthless and i broke the presta valve on the first tube.
    2 extended stops to chat with some hikers.
    several stops to take pics, relax and check out the views while i was waiting on hikers.

overall it was a pretty casual pace as i was in no hurry and was just out to enjoy the ride.