Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ride to Havasu Falls / Supai Village

8K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  MacGiv'er 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just wanted to know if anyone has ridden their bikes to Havasu Falls / Supai Village. I am looking at a couple of different options:

(1) From Grand Canyon Village (approx 75 km)
(2) From Hualapai Hilltop Hwy (Hwy 18) trailhead (approx 15 km)

Are mountain bikers allowed on these trails? How rideable are they? What is the terrain difficulty for either trail?

Feel free to leave any other relevant info/advice.

Thanks,
M.

#2 ·
There isn't a trail between Grand Canyon Village and Supai Village. It's all intersecting dirt roads, some of it quite rugged, and nearly all of it will be on the Hualapai Reservation. Either way, the only way to Supai Village is from Hualapai Hilltop. The trail is decent but wouldn't be much fun to bike back out. It's maintained for pack animals with rock steps.

#6 ·
I have hiked to Supai village from the hilltop. It is all rideable (mix from easy to strong tech stuff) down hill and probably would need some HAB on the switch backs on the top going uphill. However I have never seen bike there and my guess is that they are not allowed. It is on Reservation land and so different rules apply.

#8 ·
The trail to Supai from Hualapai Hilltop is very sandy. I can't see how it would be enjoyable at all, though I don't know much about how a fatbike would handle that sand.

That said, that trail is tribal jurisdiction and is subject to different rules than the NPS trails in the main park. They just may let you attempt it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.