Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    A plethora of pinatas

Ricochet Trail - Flagstaff

Putting together a route for a ride in Flag this weekend. We were considering going up Ricochet to Freidiein Prairie as part of the route.

What is going up Ricochet like and does anyone know what condition the trail is in?
    Marty

mtbr member
    You mean Overlook? There will be some HAB in that direction. The trail is a bit beat up and the unsustainable sections haven't fared too well. Still pretty fun though.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

mtbr member
    Marty, I rode from camp area across pipeline to an overlook and Newam trail intersection and ended up on Azt....great route abv 8000'. I will show you on map when I get to camp tonight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZona View Post
    Marty, I rode from camp area across pipeline to an overlook and Newam trail intersection and ended up on Azt....great route abv 8000'. I will show you on map when I get to camp tonight.
    That's a better way to go. After Newham and the Quintille Connector you can jump on F. Prairie Rd before dropping down Quazimoto/West Secret/Double Agent. It's only 75 yds or so the road. Overlook is a hoot but you'll miss quite a bit of singletrack by accessing F. Prairie at the west Pkng area (the TH to Weatherford and Kachina Peaks trails). You used to be able to drop down to the old Secret trail there on a connector trail but that's all been closed because of an owl pack in the area.

If you've got the time and are deadset on Overlook you could climb Weatherford Trail and then after the Kachina Peaks junction doubleback on Overlook. Then drop down to Secret.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

A plethora of pinatas
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I am talking about Ricochet (Overlook) trail that is on Dale's map.
    Marty

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoplea View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I am talking about Ricochet (Overlook) trail that is on Dale's map.
    Don't stir those ashes too much, some of the embers are still hot.

"Dale" has been promising to revise his map to reflect the real names of our trails for, well, about a century now.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

A plethora of pinatas
    Sorry. I did not realize that asking questions about "your" trails in Flag was "stirring the pot."

Thanks for correcting me, rockychrysler.
    Last edited by mcoplea; 06-24-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    Marty

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    Sorry. I did not realize that asking a questions about "your" trails in Flag was "stirring the pot."

Sorry, but i gotta agree. Most of us do not appreciate a valley dweller renaming our trails and posting the illegal ones on the net. Just my.02
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Sorry, but i gotta agree. Most of us do not appreciate a valley dweller renaming our trails and posting the illegal ones on the net. Just my.02
    Yep, I'm not a fan either. Not cool Dale. Not cool man.

I felt irritated right when I saw the title of this thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Gotta chime in on this one. I know of at least 5 Flagstaff locals that all have different names for the same trails in Flagstaff. If the locals don't know the names of the trails, then how is "Dale" supposed to know?
    Where is a non local to go to get correct information? One place is the web, where Dale's map can be found. If there is another source of trail info, could you please post it here instead of giving a guy crap for asking for it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    Gotta chime in on this one. I know of at least 5 Flagstaff locals that all have different names for the same trails in Flagstaff. If the locals don't know the names of the trails, then how is "Dale" supposed to know?
    Where is a non local to go to get correct information? One place is the web, where Dale's map can be found. If there is another source of trail info, could you please post it here instead of giving a guy crap for asking for it?
    This is an age-old argument for all riding locales when off-the-grid stuff is posted on-line. As I recall there were quite a few Sedona locals none too happy with Traildoc and his map. Anyway, this is water under the bridge. Dale caught a lot of grief a couple of years ago and changed most of the names on his map with the exception of Riccochet. He renamed Onceler Superfly but that's a moot point since most of it is now part of AZ trail or obliterated. The main issue with Dale was that he was somewhat unrepetent, didn't make an effort to learn the names and simply gave them his own names. Most us felt that he didn't get a vote. First dibs goes to the trailbuilder.

As for multiple names there's really not that much confusion. Jedi and Sheepherder are called one or the other. West Secret has several names. The FS prefers to call it West Secret for simplicities sake while most locals rue the loss of the real Secret Trail and call it other names like Double Agent or Quazimoto. There were actually two people who did the routing on West Secret and neither one wanted to name it. One works for the FS and probably doesn't care. The other trail that has several names is the parallel trail to lower Moto. Some call it Easter Island, Old F**ker, or Rock-n-Roll. It's a social trail and never really had a builder. It was burned in by equestrians who accessed it via Magdalena and then mtn bikers started riding it.

It shouldn't be too surprising that locals take pride in their trails and pride in the names. Trails have a history and it's part of local lore. For example, Dogfood Engineer.
    Last edited by rockman; 06-21-2013 at 06:51 PM.

slower than you
    Sorry. I did not realize that asking a questions about "your" trails in Flag was "stirring the pot."

told ya. don't start stirring the ashes until you're sure the fire is dead-out.

and this one ain't.
    "Let our people travel light and free on their bicycles." Ed Abbey
    http://www.rockychrysler.com/

Elitest thrill junkie
    Is there a ricochet on or near the trail? No.

Is there a lookout on or near the trail? Yes.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    told ya. don't start stirring the ashes until you're sure the fire is dead-out.

and this one ain't.
    Again, thank you for putting me in my place. Please accept my apology for asking a question about your local trails and not knowing all the proper names.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm not giving the op any sh#t, I am just irritated with Dale the map maker.

Just A Mountain Biker.

Ricochet Trail - Flagstaff

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I'm not giving the op any sh#t, I am just irritated with Dale the map maker.
    It is the most readily available and accurate map out there, oh and by the way it is free. I'm not trying to score coolness points by coming back to the valley and trail-name dropping, I just want to have a general idea of how to get from point a to point z and hit all the points in between without getting lost. And Dale's map does that for a lot of people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

No mames guey
    Popcorn, popping...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Reading the angry Staffers comments leaves me thinking it's the names, not the fact they're mapped causing the angst. Do they not use traildock's maps when they ride in Sedona?
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Reading the angry Staffers comments leaves me thinking it's the names, not the fact they're mapped causing the angst. Do they not use traildock's maps when they ride in Sedona?
    No, they know all the Sedona trails. The maps were for tourons.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by el poseur View Post

No, they know all the Sedona trails. The maps were for tourons.
    I'll remember that if they ever grow a pair(s) and venture down to Phoenix.

The .05 percent
    Feb 2006
    Why the hell should any same person wasn't to do that?
    29'ers are the scientologists of the MTB world

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    This is an age-old argument for all riding locales when off-the-grid stuff is posted on-line. As I recall there were quite a few Sedona locals none too happy with Traildoc and his map. Anyway, this is water under the bridge. Dale caught a lot of grief a couple of years ago and changed most of the names on his map with the exception of Riccochet. He renamed Onceler Superfly but that's a moot point since most of it is now part of AZ trail or obliterated. The main issue with Dale was that he was somewhat unrepetent, didn't make an effort to learn the names and simply gave them his own names. Most us felt that he didn't get a vote. First dibs goes to the trailbuilder.

As for multiple names there's really not that much confusion. Jedi and Sheepherder are called one or the other. West Secret has several names. The FS prefers to call it West Secret for simplicities sake while most locals rue the loss of the real Secret Trail and call it other names like Double Agent or Quazimoto. There were actually two people who did the routing on West Secret and neither one wanted to name it. One works for the FS and probably doesn't care. The other trail that has several names is the parallel trail to lower Moto. Some call it Easter Island, Old F**ker, or Rock-n-Roll. It's a social trail and never really had a builder. It was burned in by equestrians who accessed it via Magdalena and then mtn bikers started riding it.

It shouldn't be too surprising that locals take pride in their trails and pride in the names. Trails have a history and it's part of local lore. For example, Dogfood Engineer.
    Some Sedona locals got together with a map company and made available a map with all current legal trails. It is available in town and I believe online. Another person made an online map for smartphone use. Is something like this available for Flag? If so, could someone post a link for the OP?
    Three trails listed with multiple names is in fact confusing....

Still want to ride sometime this week?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    Some Sedona locals got together with a map company and made available a map with all current legal trails. It is available in town and I believe online. Another person made an online map for smartphone use. Is something like this available for Flag? If so, could someone post a link for the OP?
    Three trails listed with multiple names is in fact confusing....

Still want to ride sometime this week?
    Absolutely, but the stakes in the game may have just changed. Looks like it's just north of the pipeline and south of Friedlein Prairie Rd. There's a spotter plane on it and a bunch of Hot Shot crews heading that way. bummer.

edit to add. contained. whew. Small wildfire near Freidlein Prairie contained
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ricochet Trail - Flagstaff-peaks-fire.jpg  

Last edited by rockman; 06-22-2013 at 08:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Why the hell should any same person wasn't to do that?
    Not kosher having a pair up in Staff?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have been to the Phenis airport a few times. I can't forget that smell as you get close to the city and all of that traffic! I'm good.

Pheonix riders, don't take this seriously, I'm just messing with Mrwhlr. Your riding looks killer.
    Last edited by raisingarizona; 06-23-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast