Thread: Return to SoMo

Kathleen in AZ

Return to SoMo

I didn't take too many pics today because I was too busy gasping for air and wondering when my heart would stop pounding. What was I thinking??? This was NOT a recovery ride! Thanks to all for waiting for my slow and lumbering a$$ on the uphills!! Clearly a month off the bike has an dramatic effect on one's fitness.

So back to the ride... Going to the towers beyond Buena Vista is always a commitment, but a fun one. I absolutely love all the drops and tricky spots and ride with a perma-grin the whole time. But I gained a whole new respect for those drops when we turned around at Telegraph and headed back on National... Holy crap! Lots of hike a bike. Lots of gasping. Lots of fun at times, but probably not something I'd like to do on a regular basis.

It was good to see Bob along the way on his Stinky but wish he'd been able to join us. We did have LiteandFast Dave (or is it FastnLight?), BrianC, Todd (speedy racer dude friend from my work), Jayem James, and U2metoo Sam. Good bunch. And HikerDave too!!!

Arizona Burritos from Las Taquitos and hot tub and I'm now ready for some serious couch time!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Elitest thrill junkie
    I got in a fight with a Cheetah...and I won.

I F-ing love National.

Great ride.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    You people are animals! I'm just glad I turned around at the towers and didn't follow you all down to Telegraph.

It was good fun riding with you all. Thanks to one of you for the riding tips -- I had my best ever ride down National. The lovely green mountain and cool weather made things that much better. Thanks for posting the ride.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

Happy trails
    it's soooo green out there.
    i'm heading out there sunday morning around 9:30.
    anyone want to go again??
    Aaron

sixsixtysix
    You guys (and gals) looked like you were all having a good time this morning. Weather was perfect, trails were tacky, not much more you could ask for

This is how it started...
    Hi ya Hikerdave. Thanks for spending a few minutes with me giving me directions on how to get to Telegraph and then DC. It was a great loop! Telegraph was a kick...just wish there were a few less hikers as it really messes with the concentration. I think I saw your group headed back down National as I was headed around the west side of the towers.
    Nice pics! Really wanted to go down National but wanted to get in a big loop as a few of us are planning White Rim in a Day the end of March.
    If you ever decide to experience the Colorado Rockies give me a shout as I would love to ride with you'all.

mtbr member
    Kewl Pic's Kathleen!

And great ride everbody!

Here's a link of the ride: SoMo Ride

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Kewl Pic's Kathleen!

And great ride everbody!

Thanks for the video!! Seeing myself in moving color makes me realize I need to stop rolling everything and try to get that front end up over some of the launches... Jayem looks so smooth. And we finally got you (Sam) in the video - Nice waterfall descent!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    OMG! AWESOME!!! You peeps look like you were having tons of fun. Keep the pics and vids coming. Rock on

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    You guys (and gals) looked like you were all having a good time this morning. Weather was perfect, trails were tacky, not much more you could ask for
    666 - you need to shout out and introduce yourself someday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Thanks for the video!! Seeing myself in moving color makes me realize I need to stop rolling everything and try to get that front end up over some of the launches... Jayem looks so smooth. And we finally got you (Sam) in the video - Nice waterfall descent!
    Great Camera work Kathleen! Thanks Bunches!

Oh, when I get a chance maybe I'll edit a special DurtGurl Behemoth Highlight reel for the 29r forum.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    I got in a fight with a Cheetah...and I won.

I F-ing love National.

Great ride.
    It was great fun trying to keep up with you going down National. You are welcome down here anytime to ride our fine trails and I hope to sample some of your big Prescott loops when it warms up and dries out.

Kathleen in AZ
    Great Camera work Kathleen! Thanks Bunches!

Oh, when I get a chance maybe I'll edit a special DurtGurl Behemoth Highlight reel for the 29r forum.
    I was thinking of just making them watch the whole thing... you pieced together such a nice flow and we all look like rock stars. And maybe you can also post it over on Passion on Chad's Spring Fling thread to entice the masses trapped by snow and slush to come visit us in a month!

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Great Video!!!

Nice video and good riding everybody. Nice Sunday morning with coffee entertainment.

Thanks for posting. Looks like a great ride Need to get out there some weekend with everyone.

bobo

mtbr member

That looks steep!

And possibly painful.

mtbr member

lol

666 - you need to shout out and introduce yourself someday.
    He's shy.

Nice pics. Good to see you riding again Kathleen.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrux

That looks steep!

And possibly painful.
    Yeah, but it's wierd how there are some trail sections that look a lot harder than they are, or the easiest way down *looks* bad. There's a roll down trail 40 here in prescott on the far right side of the trail that seems to be too rough/steep, but it's actually the smoothest way through. There's the roll in flagstaff off of PR that is way harder to walk than to ride (I've seen people try to walk around it, not pretty). It would probably help immensely to see other people do it, but the steepest way can sometimes be the smoothest and easiest.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Its usually the transitions that kill you, not the steep part.
    But I bet that's steeper than it looks in that picture, and that rock on your
    left doesnt look like something you'd want to sideswipe. So were you the only one in the group to nail that section ?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    Its usually the transitions that kill you, not the steep part.
    But I bet that's steeper than it looks in that picture, and that rock on your
    left doesnt look like something you'd want to sideswipe. So were you the only one in the group to nail that section ?
    A good number of our group went down the waterfall, I don't recall which ones, maybe just me and sam, but maybe others too. As to that exact line, just me, but other people were doing it (and probably more technical ones) during the day. I don't ride national enough to know where all the "secret" or "good" lines are, so sometimes that means stopping, turning around, hiking back up a bit, and then restarting. The rock on the left isn't as close as the picture makes it seem. I did some good climbing stuff on the section immediately above what was pictured and in the video.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Just shot of you on Waterfall James. Good to see Kath back at it-you go Girl!

Pivotal figure
    There's actually a steeper line further to th left (rider's left). Most of those lines are a mindgame, you can do them if you really convince yourself you won't die. Of course that's also another definition of natural selection but that's what makes it fun
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Those 2 pictures above that are together like they might be both of the same
    spot, just different angles, the top one being from above. The way it looks from that shot maybe I'd be tempted to try that.
    I'm almost ready to ride again after breaking my wrist during an OTB incident
    back on 12/26. So until I get my confidence back and am fully healed, I'll be staying away from anything that looks remotely like that. But it's still nice to see
    pics of other people doing it

Elitest thrill junkie
    This attempt wasn't so sucessfull. I took this picture last winter. This is somewhere to the right of the lower waterfall (as you go down it). Amazingly I don't think he was seriously injured, but it looked bad when he went down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTrux

That looks steep!

And possibly painful.
    Yeah, the spine is plenty steep... but like Jayem said I think it's easier than the line just to his right that most people take because it's a straight shot. Gotta get your mind around it first though.

Looks like you guys had a great time. Great video u2metoo. Did it just rain that morning? The rocks look wet. Can't believe how green everything is.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Tucson, AZ
    K.,
    Very nice pictures, nice riding.I will be in Phx next weeked want to ride on Saturday if my plans with Yuri fail (or join us)?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Did it just rain that morning? The rocks look wet. Can't believe how green everything is.
    No rain, lots of fog, lots of humidity, lots of dew, rocks were a bit slippery, not too bad, but we did slip a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Yeah, the spine is plenty steep... but like Jayem said I think it's easier than the line just to his right that most people take ...
    Now ya tell me. Actually thanks to Kathleen for the pics, Jayem for the riding and u2meto for the video 'cause after checkin' it all out I decided today was the day for the waterfall. I was having a good ride on the way up and although the trail was very crowded everyone seemed pretty cool and relaxed. On the way down I watched a guy ride the line on the right and although he was not super smooth he got the job done. That was all I needed, I finally had enough nerve and pads, got a good run up and rode that bad boy down.

Dave

Finally I can view what's been happening since the ride on Sat.

My computer was on the fritz when I got back from the ride. that was a great ride guys I really enjoyed meeting all of you. Sam the video is great although I think the Lenz stole the show, Kathleen is so good you couldn't keep the cam off of her. She sure can ride that gnarly stuff. Me on the other hand I had the bike with the least amount of travel and probably the slowest on those descents. Then of course you weren't able to capture my OTB because you were right behind me picking up my bike and making sure I was ok. I did have a sore neck yesterday but am feeling better now. No bruises to speak of, just a raspberry or two.
    Jayem has a natural talent that you can really see in the video when you slow down and repeat some of his footage he nails the line every time. I know now that when you (Sam) ride ahead thatís because you are going to shoot video and you're not trying to race back. Couple of times I just took off after you and then you weren't able to get your camera out quick enough to capture me. But I made the video a couple of times. I got to get one of those little babies the video is good quality, does it have sound?
    Anyway great ride lets do it again soon, maybe Mormon trail next time. K thanks for the Gatorade after the ride that kept the cramps away for quite a few hours. How was the hot tub? I bet it felt great; I'll have to remember a bathing suit when I ride from your house, hehe.

Kathleen in AZ
    Kewl Pic's Kathleen!

And great ride everbody!

Sam, I've watched that video maybe a thousand times and it just makes me grin ear to ear. Thanks for taking the time to ride ahead and shoot. What a hoot! Great choice of music.

Dave

Hey K

Sam, I've watched that video maybe a thousand times and it just makes me grin ear to ear. Thanks for taking the time to ride ahead and shoot. What a hoot! Great choice of music.
    You at work already too? When get in today say hi to Russ for me would ya. Dave Woodhams.

thanks

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    You at work already too? When get in today say hi to Russ for me would ya. Dave Woodhams.

thanks
    Nope, still sipping coffee at home. I'm on the 9-6 schedule at work I'll say hi to Russ for ya. Maybe even show him the video!

Hey - i'm joining the SMC TNR tonight for the first time since they changed hands. Eric says he knows you? Join us! They roll at 7:30 from the shop. I might even break out the dos since it'll be a Desert Classic spin.

Dave
    Nope, still sipping coffee at home. I'm on the 9-6 schedule at work I'll say hi to Russ for ya. Maybe even show him the video!

Hey - i'm joining the SMC TNR tonight for the first time since they changed hands. Eric says he knows you? Join us! They roll at 7:30 from the shop. I might even break out the dos since it'll be a Desert Classic spin.
    Yeah thats been a regular for me for a few months now. Actually we passed Eric on the trail after we left your house Sat.

I work with Eric's wife Katrina.

I need some more coffee. have a great day!!!

mtbr member
    Great riding with ya, Dave! Man, you attacked that trail with the dos niner like a pro. You made it look easy, dood!

Glad to hear you didn't too banged up on your tumble. Man, I wish I got that on tape Just kidding!

mtbr member
    Here's xpost from the 29r forum to the It's all about DurtGurl and her Moth re-edit. heeheeheehee

Dave
    Great riding with ya, Dave! Man, you attacked that trail with the dos niner like a pro. You made it look easy, dood!

Glad to hear you didn't get too banged up on your tumble. Man, I wish I got that on tape Just kidding!

Next time I'll fall just for you but you have to have the tape running. It would look great if the camera was on the handlebars looking back at you as you went OTB. Then you could see the grimis on my face as I hit the ground.
    I just finished looking at your blawg, very nice record keeping. I will spend more time there looking into other trails.
    I didn't realize you did quadurple bypass ride. I almost went on that one. Then I woke up and said "what are you crazy" stay in bed.
    What do you do on the week nights? There's a tuesday night ride from SMC at 730 pm if you dont work too early inthe morning. I get home sometimes around 1030 pm and still make it to work for 7. Though I still sleep til 8. haha Do you have lights?
    Join us sometime. Your ready!!! Tonight Durtgurl is joining us.
    Thanks for the memories of the day I will save this video on a disc for when I'm really old I can look back at it and cry. "I used to do that"

Members who have read this thread: 0