Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Which recovery product do you use? For hard xc/road people. Not so much DH or enduro

Not to be a ****** so don't take this the wrong way. I'm looking for opinions from xc racers or roadies that put in sustained effort (without rest/shuttles/gravity) over a period over AT LEAST 90 minutes. I know that downhilling requires burst energy...blah blah blah, I don't care. Need people that push hard on the bike for a long time please. Move along if this hurts your feelings. Pretend you're going downhill and go away quickly.

Which recovery product do most of you use after race pace rides with climbing or major sustained hammering in this HEAT? I've been using Endurox R4 for a month, but I'm not thrilled with it.

This is a serious post and so I'm not looking for beer or weed suggestions please.

Thanks much.

Need more cowbell

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've started to use a Prograde product called Prograde Workout. www.bikejames.com recommends this so thats why I have started to use it. I do sustained efforts for 90-120 minutes where my heart rate is at 155-165 the entire time so I feel I am definitely pushing it. Now, I really can't tell you if the product is helping a great deal or not. I have just gotten into this sport with any sort of seriousness around 2 years ago so I have been changing all sorts of things in my life to improve my performance so I can't define exactly whats helping and what isn't. I can say I am making steady gains in performance so maybe it is helping.

Shred...it's the new drug
    you hurt my feelings...i'm gonna not go shave my legs or not wash my spandex now

JohnniO
    Sounds like you may have a case of Scurvy

I sense a little hostility in your post Mr. Doger. This could be because vitamin C deficiency caused by getting only protien in your diet during your long sustained efforts at Papago.

You should get fruit in your diet. This will prevent Scurvy .

slow uphill
    chocolate milk and fruit as JohnniO says.

I'm also a fan of this although I think it serves a different purpose that what you're after, I would think:

(see the point on Fat Burning)
    http://www.conradstoltz.com/the-cave...t-xterra-tips/

JohnniO
    Switching to Marlboro Lights has helped me quite a bit.

Shovel Ready
    This post is insensitive.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Lately I've been partial to Dales Pale Ale...and I'm being serious.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

JohnniO
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    This post is insensitive.
    Feel the power. The Power is imminent.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I use hamburgers.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    its not really touted as a recovery drink, but 2 little scoops of Labrada supercharge kick my ass into high gear for several hours..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    its not really touted as a recovery drink, but 2 little scoops of Labrada supercharge kick my ass into high gear for several hours..
    is that free when you buy this?

Fragile - must be Italian
    So far, nothing has been shown to be more effective than good ol' chocolate milk for recovery. Basically, all you need is the proper % of protein, fat, and carbohydrate, and chocolate milk gives you that.

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/fitness...ness_list.html
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/152240.php

If you don't like chocolate milk, there are other options you can find in your refrigerator or pantry that are as good or better than pricey sports drinks: peanut butter and honey sandwich, bean and cheese burrito, etc.

For recovery from sore legs from overdoing a workout, I like to down some Sports Legs and take an epson salt bath. I also know that ice baths speed up recovery immensely...if you can tolerate it.

Thx...Doug

Need more cowbell
    Wow, great articles Doug...and it's available at any convenience store.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Why would we ever think you are an a******? I can't imagine you asking this question in a more polite way. Anywho.....for recovery I prefer beer and weed.

Oh, and maybe you could try this. It really helps with getting out all of those post ride toxins.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    My personal favorite is to down half a Gatorade then fill it with water and continue to drink 50-50 mix Gatorade to absorb electrolytes and a little sodium like trail mix usually replenishes what my body used while excercising and then have a nice post workout chocolate protein shake as well just so I don't feel to weak the rest of the day.
    2011 Euro Gold Demo 8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olie12
    My personal favorite is to down half a Gatorade then fill it with water and continue to drink 50-50 mix Gatorade to absorb electrolytes and a little sodium like trail mix usually replenishes what my body used while excercising and then have a nice post workout chocolate protein shake as well just so I don't feel to weak the rest of the day.
    do you add any caffeine to that?

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    So far, nothing has been shown to be more effective than good ol' chocolate milk for recovery. Basically, all you need is the proper % of protein, fat, and carbohydrate, and chocolate milk gives you that.
    Not a fan of Chocolate Milk. How about Strawberry Milk? Love that..

mtbr member
    I have to throw my vote in for chocolate milk as well. I down a pint of that and coconut water. perks me right back up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size
    do you add any caffeine to that?
    Honestly I try to stay away of caffeine post work out mostly because it usually hurts my stomach. But caffeine is a good pre workout and often used during workout supplement with moderation of course. Just look at supplements like accelerade it has caffeine in it to drink during excercise.
    2011 Euro Gold Demo 8

Fragile - must be Italian
    One last comment...and this is somewhat scary...but Consumer Reports recently conducted a series of tests against some popular protein/recovery drinks from 10 different manufacturers and *all* of them contained traces of heavy metals (lead, mercury, cadmium, etc). 4 of them were *way* over the FDA standard. I don't recall what brands flunked, but I do recall that CytoSport was in that list (makers of Muscle Milk and CytoMax drinks).

There is *no* regulation in the "supplement" market (which these drinks fall under), so companies are left to police themselves. Apparently they aren't doing such a good job, which can have serious ramifications to your health.

So don't gulp down those fancy drinks thinking they are what they claim they are. After reading that story, I am more a believer in using normal foods for recovery.

Thx...Doug

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size
    is that free when you buy this?

okay, let me state my official position on this matter:
    old hair bands that gracefully retired after 1993 = still cool
    newer bands pretending to be old hair bands = supergay
    being self employed and still having your metal hair since eighth grade 22 years ago = priceless

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    One last comment...and this is somewhat scary...but Consumer Reports recently conducted a series of tests against some popular protein/recovery drinks from 10 different manufacturers and *all* of them contained traces of heavy metals (lead, mercury, cadmium, etc). 4 of them were *way* over the FDA standard. I don't recall what brands flunked, but I do recall that CytoSport was in that list (makers of Muscle Milk and CytoMax drinks).

There is *no* regulation in the "supplement" market (which these drinks fall under), so companies are left to police themselves. Apparently they aren't doing such a good job, which can have serious ramifications to your health.

So don't gulp down those fancy drinks thinking they are what they claim they are. After reading that story, I am more a believer in using normal foods for recovery.

Thx...Doug
    is that pre or post 1993 heavy metals?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    okay, let me state my official position on this matter:
    old hair bands that gracefully retired after 1993 = still cool
    newer bands pretending to be old hair bands = supergay
    being self employed and still having your metal hair since eighth grade 22 years ago = priceless
    don't think i was knocking you with that pic - the supplement colors reminded me of 80's metal and that pic was the first hair band album cover i found that looked similar, and since you're into hair bands i ran with it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast