mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Recommended DH tires

You smart folks have any recommended DH tires?

Currently running a Muddy Mary front and DHR rear, but both need to be replaced soon. I would prefer tubeless.

Oh I ride a Giant Glory 2 (thx GnarlyBob :] )
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

Shred...it's the new drug
    Yeah buddy...those are good. But if your budget is unlimited...Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5

Get those...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Bob, maybe you can help since GnarGnar equipped the current tires on this bike This is your ex rental if you hadn't figured that out already.

The Muddy Mary on the front shows 2.7 width, and appears tubeless..... I can't find a 2.7 Muddy Mary thats tubeless for sale anywhere on the web. I see a 2.5 tubesless out there. Maybe they discontinued the 2.7 tubeless setup?

These tires have been great for the past 6 months, and $$$ isnt really an issue, so ideally I would just replace whats there.

No Clue Crew
    I've been really happy with my Specialized Butcher SX up front and Clutch SX in back. Not cheap but I like giving some money to my LBS. They are a middle between a full-on wire bead DH tire that's heavy as hell and a "normal" tire. I run them tubeless with Gorilla tape with no problems and I beat them up pretty good.

Can't go wrong with the Minion DHF, either. But, like I said, I wanted to pump some back into my LBS so I tried the Specialized tires. I'll likely replace them with the same when it's due.

Pivotal figure
    I'm a fan of Excavators, haven't run anything in the 2.7 range in years though...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Huffy Rider
    Minion DHF UST front and rear, 2.5

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Minion DHF UST front and rear, 2.5
    This! Right now I am running DHF and DHR UST on my dh bike but switched over to DHF front and rear on my xc bike and dig the performance and predictability of running same tire front and back.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the recommendations!

Think I am gonna try out the muddy mary 2.5 on front, really loved the current 2.7 I have. For rear the question becomes DHF or DHR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    This! Right now I am running DHF and DHR UST on my dh bike but switched over to DHF front and rear on my xc bike and dig the performance and predictability of running same tire front and back.
    Minions on a XC bike!? I run the DHF for both too. It's the way to go...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Other than performance predictability on both front and rear tires, any other reason you guys run the DHF on both over the DHR on rear?

Alive and Lurkin'
    If you like the high volume of a 2.7, You might want to take a look at the Kenda Blue Groove. That's what I run on my DH bike with a Minon DHR 2.7 in Rear. Maxxis tires tend to run on the small side as far as sizing goes, their 2.5 tire measures more like 2.35 and 2.7 is more like a 2.5. Kenda and Schwalbe and some others tend to measure a more true size.
    Last edited by Jibro; 04-16-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spellin
    Pumpin & Pimpin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juggles View Post
    Other than performance predictability on both front and rear tires, any other reason you guys run the DHF on both over the DHR on rear?
    I never rode the DHR. I have heard that it is slower, less predictable in corners, doesn't handle off-camber stuff too well and can be hard to keep straight especially in braking situations. The DHF tracks straight, is good in off-camber situations and hooks up pretty consistently in the corners.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Good info here...last question

Do I really need a designated "tubeless" tire to run it tubeless? I really want to stick with a Muddy Mary 2.7 but those widths are not listed as tubeless. Is it just a matter of getting a kit, and making it work ghetto'ish tubeless?

Never setup tubeless before, but like most work on bikes it ain't rocket appliances, so it shouldnt be too hard. (reference anyone?)

Suggested methods for setup, tubeless kits, gorilla tape? Im on my way to youtube to learn how to do this right now heh.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    i use ghetto on my xc with single ply minion and 20"bmx tubes/stans. works fine and I can knock it out in 20 minutes. Dual ply's are easier.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    Minions on a XC bike!? I run the DHF for both too. It's the way to go...
    Ya that way there is no difference when I switch from my xc bike to my dh. only difference is i have 823/UST setup on my dh..ghetto on the xc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Well thanks for the input lady and gents. Trying to get ready and geared up for Sunrise opening weekend <3

Motochick lemme know when we can tear up Elden again, can't wait!

Alive and Lurkin'

Recommended DH tires

All my wheels run Home-brew sealant mix on 823's. I haven't had an issue with the many various tire types (save 1 Nevegal folding single-ply). Some tubeless specific, but the vast majority are just regular tube type tires run on a tubeless setup.

Sent using Tap N Stalk
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Dirt Bike Craig
    I like the Maxxis Minions & High Roller
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I've been really happy with my Specialized Butcher SX up front and Clutch SX in back. Not cheap but I like giving some money to my LBS. They are a middle between a full-on wire bead DH tire that's heavy as hell and a "normal" tire. I run them tubeless with Gorilla tape with no problems and I beat them up pretty good.

Can't go wrong with the Minion DHF, either. But, like I said, I wanted to pump some back into my LBS so I tried the Specialized tires. I'll likely replace them with the same when it's due.
    ive been running the butcher 2.5 sx on the front for the last year as well... really like that tire. i couldnt get it to seal up tubeless on my 823s so ive had a tube in there. they dont hook-up as well as the dhf but ive had to run it higher psi than my tl dhf... so not really apples to apples. regardless, its been a great tire, true 2.5ish and damn durable.

love the dhf on the rear (or front). run the dual-ply tubeless on the 823s. love, love, love em. ive got a freshie ready to go in the garage as soon as the hans dampf ive got on there wears out... not a huge fan of that one, really looking foward to getting back to a dhf.

ive been trying to find a lighter rear tire for the last year or so... tried a 1ply dhf, 1ply hans dampf and 2ply dissent but they just dont work for me. more psi=less traction, less psi=tons of pinch flats (4 in one day at angel fire with the dissent... f'n lame!!!).

getting tired of that bs so im going back to grunting and sweating a 2ply dhf around.

oh... and im talking for my "all-mountain" bike. works for me on lift accessed to fort valley and everything in between. heavy tire in the rear but worth the effort.

sandbagger
    Keep it in the family and get The Schwalbe Wicked Will.

I run them tubeless and have used more than one pair. Our whole group has them in fact and we all love them. All setup tubeless.

I run these tires on south mountain, bootleg canyon, hawes, papago, nra pit etc on my dh rig.

The wicked will was designed for hard pack dirt with gravel on top it was designed in Souther California (most of Arizona is hardpack with gravel)

Will is really wicked, because it lets the competition look almost good. Extremely fast competition tire for dry, firm tracks. Large, flat blocks in the tread center roll well and are fast in the straights. Strong, grippy outer lugs keep the speed high in the curves. On extreme descents the "Curve Claws" bite into the ground.
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes