Mountain Biking Newbie
    Feb 2012

Recommend me a trail for Flagstaff ride this weekend!

Me and a buddy will be up in Flag this weekend and wanted to catch in a short ride (maybe between 8-10 miles RT) that's not too difficult. Any recommendations?

I hear Schultz Creek Trail would be a good one...what do you all think?

I've got 26" Spesh Epic and he has 29" Epic....I wouldn't consider myself advanced, but wanted to have some decent fun in the forests.

For the trails you suggest, how crowded would those be on, say, an early Sunday morning ride?

Thanks!
    2011 Specialized Epic Comp 26
    1994 Specialized Hard Rock FS

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Up Schultz all the way, a quick connect on secret to the AZ trail(both well signed). Enjoy a relative fast and flowy decent on the Az trail until you intersect lower Moto.

Bomb down lower moto to the fort valley trail system and follow signs back to schultz. Lots of options there. I prefer easter island and then out, but it isn't signed.

I highly recommend: The Skid Map

Check the flag map out and if you have a smart phone you can download the app/map for something like $2.99.

Well worth it as it allows you to navigate on the map via your gps module in your phone, no data connection needed.

Another option is park at snow bowl and take the Az trail out to FS 418 and back. Should be about 12 miles or so and is a great trail with amazing scenery.

The Next 100 Miler
    The Old Fasion Mt Bike Race route is a good intro to Flag riding and won't be as crowded as Schultz. It is right next to Schultz, so if you want to add some miles you can.

Map here: THE ABSOLUTE BIKES - FLAGSTAFF FAMILY FOOD CENTER OLD FASHIONED MOUNTAIN BIKE RACE

Mountain Biking Newbie
    Feb 2012
    I assume all these trails should be open and not affected by any gov't shutdown?
    2011 Specialized Epic Comp 26
    1994 Specialized Hard Rock FS

Always in the wrong gear
    Little Bear and Little Elden (the north side of Elden) are closed due to rain damage, but otherwise you should be good.

Over the Hill
    North on the Arizona Trail out of Snow Bowl/Aspen Corner is one of my favorites, especially if the Aspens are turning color.

mtbr member
    Arizona Trail from Old Walnut Canyon Rd to Fisher Point or from the NAU campus to Walnut Canyon is a nice ride. Nothing too tech, but it flows pretty well and it's fun. It's really beautiful inside Walnut Canyon, btw.