mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm Reccomend a Hardtail

Hello all, I used to ride some a couple years ago. I'm finally starting to get in good shape and I am looking for a hardtail to pound around on out here in Arizona, I live in the East Mesa area (80-90% of my riding would be at Hawes)... Thus, I think I would like a bike that does XC but can still take a bit of a beating on downhills, as I do frequent other areas from time to time...

Anyone have ideas?? I sold my El Guapo late 2010...

I'm not looking for something nearly that pricey, I'd like to stay between $600-$1,000 for a hardtail. I'm 6'0, 175lbs if that matters.

Cheers,

Rob

How much further ???
    There are some nice all mountain hardtail frames out there these days but I havent found many used online. Some examples are the Canfield Yelli Screamy and a Transition TransAM. Just got me a new HT as well and I ride Hawes all the time.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The SC Carnelian would also be a good choice or even a On One 456 if you want to go with a reasonably priced trail HT carbon frame that is light enough to swap wheel sets for the occasional race. Some have posted up that the 456 makes for a great 650B conversion as well.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I think the bikes listed above are a more than double your range complete. Or are you just looking for a frame?

For that price range, I think you just have to keep on CL for a while. Mountain bikes just seem to be the most comlicated theing to buy. There are just so many potential combos. Then what wheel size do you go? Most folks doing XC seem to be liking 29ers. I love mine. You can get better pricing on the 26 though. Good luck.

Hit me up when you get your bike. I ride Hawse 2 or 3 times a week.
    Last edited by SugarHigh; 12-03-2012 at 02:08 PM.

mtbr member
    man, you should have asked this question the week of black friday I think GLobal bikes had some 2012 specialized hardtails already marked down + 20% off + 10% gift card...

Really all the bikes are pretty much the same in that price range (but the more you spend the better the components get).... Try to get something on clearance or used...

For me swapping out the wheelset was the best money spent... Stans wheels seem to have the best bang for the buck...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul82 View Post
    Hello all, I used to ride some a couple years ago. I'm finally starting to get in good shape and I am looking for a hardtail to pound around on out here in Arizona, I live in the East Mesa area (80-90% of my riding would be at Hawes)... Thus, I think I would like a bike that does XC but can still take a bit of a beating on downhills, as I do frequent other areas from time to time...

Anyone have ideas?? I sold my El Guapo late 2010...

I'm not looking for something nearly that pricey, I'd like to stay between $600-$1,000 for a hardtail. I'm 6'0, 175lbs if that matters.

Cheers,

Rob
    I just bought an On-One 456 Evo (wife wont let me open it til Christmas though). It's a steel frame that will take a 4-6" fork (hence the 456). To buy a complete bike, you have to order from the UK but frame only options can be bought in the states. Planet X is where to order from US, On One from UK.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by woahey View Post
    I just bought an On-One 456 Evo (wife wont let me open it til Christmas though). It's a steel frame that will take a 4-6" fork (hence the 456). To buy a complete bike, you have to order from the UK but frame only options can be bought in the states. Planet X is where to order from US, On One from UK.
    Nice. I just pulled the trigger on this. Hope to have it by the weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reccomend a Hardtail-bikes_transam29_pic1.jpg  

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

I love bike!
    Nice ride doug. Buddy of mine has a trans am n loves it. We should get a hardtail shred in sometime. I got a jabber ss i like rollin around on.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman View Post
    Nice ride doug. Buddy of mine has a trans am n loves it. We should get a hardtail shred in sometime. I got a jabber ss i like rollin around on.
    Thanks! Figured it will be the perfect compliment to the Slayer for how and what I like to ride. Im excited.

mtbr member
    I've always been a fan of the Kona hard tail bikes. The Fire Mountain is a great value, and it's under $1,000 normally.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Nice. I just pulled the trigger on this. Hope to have it by the weekend.
    Nice Doug! I am still stubbornly avoiding the whole 29er fad. But, if we're gonna go with stock images...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reccomend a Hardtail-onone456.jpg  

The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post

Hit me up when you get your bike. I ride Hawse 2 or 3 times a week.
    Sugar, Sugar, Sugar...

At first I thought it was just a typo but you type it the same time and time again. The trail system you speak of is named after a road. This road used to be dirt and end in the middle of the desert, but now it ends in the swanky home development called Las Sendas. Look it up on a map... the road, and the trail system, are both called HAWES. Thank you!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    OP: I'm not necessarily the biggest hardtail fan in the world for our terrain. That said, the Canfield Yelli Screamy is far and away the most fun bike I've ever owned.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Blatant...when u selling that thing? Gotta fund the dh bike right? I know a guys who's in the market.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I've always been a fan of the Kona hard tail bikes. The Fire Mountain is a great value, and it's under $1,000 normally.
    I second this. I beat the crap out of my Cinder Cone for a year in AZ and it handled everything I threw at it. Slack HT angle makes them a pretty solid all around hardtail.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    Blatant...when u selling that thing? Gotta fund the dh bike right? I know a guys who's in the market.
    Ha. I honestly can't see selling this bike anytime soon. It really is the most overall fun bike I've ever had.

mtbr member
    would recommend 29" size, with some proper unweighing of the front wheel, it will make rolling over the stubborn Arizona rock a breeze...

for extreme nimbleness go for yelli screamy or kona honzo/taro - shortest chainstays
    moto fantoms for best component bang for the buck

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    Sugar, Sugar, Sugar...

At first I thought it was just a typo but you type it the same time and time again. The trail system you speak of is named after a road. This road used to be dirt and end in the middle of the desert, but now it ends in the swanky home development called Las Sendas. Look it up on a map... the road, and the trail system, are both called HAWES. Thank you!
    Woh. That is funny.

Soul, Let's ride Hawes when you get a bike.

Doug, Congratulations on the new bike.
    Last edited by SugarHigh; 12-04-2012 at 07:47 AM.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    Woh. That is funny.

Soul, Let's ride Hawes when you get a bike.

Doug, Congratulations on the new bike.
    Whew! All is right in the world now

A plethora of pinatas
    I would highly recommend that you consider a Niner SIR or MCR. You can find a used one around $1500 if you are patient.

There is a SS Niner SIR on CL right now for $1400 - Niner Sir 9 29er (XTR, Easton, Fox, etc)
    Marty

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi Soul82 I have a Trek (Gary Fisher) Cobia 2010 29er that I'd like to sell. It's well maintained with some upgrades and definitely in your price range. PM me if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Mind if I ask, what the main differences would be in a Steel vs. Aluminum frame in Arizona? Would one be far superior here?

I'd love to ride with anyone once I get a bike! Right now I'm slumming it up on a Cyclocross rig =(.

Thank you for all the responses!

Rob

P.S. - The Yelli Screamy looks pretty amazing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul82 View Post
    Mind if I ask, what the main differences would be in a Steel vs. Aluminum frame in Arizona? Would one be far superior here?

I'd love to ride with anyone once I get a bike! Right now I'm slumming it up on a Cyclocross rig =(.

Thank you for all the responses!

Rob

P.S. - The Yelli Screamy looks pretty amazing
    I'm in Texas, but rode all over AZ for years. (Years ago though...). I LOVE my YS! I'm 1x10, but I bet you could do a budget 1x9 build for near 1K if you find a used frame, and they are out there. That's one reason I like hard tails, they can be less money but still light. Go with some high volume tires and that buys you at least the equivalent of an inch out back... I ride mine in on tough technical tight stuff mostly, but have done a few XC races on her too. Really, the bike and geometry is fun, and they are pretty unique bikes too boot.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...