Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Reavis Canyon, Arizona Trail

2beerJoe and I decided to spend Fathers Day together, did a little mini-epic on the AZT. Left a truck at Picket Post, drove a truck up to the Rogers Trough trailhead. The top part of the trail is hard to find, it's not where the map shows, but find it we did. It's so over grown and rugged up there, it's a stretch to even call it a hiking trail. Awesome descent though, beautiful views. Steeps, switchbacks, lots of loose, nothing overly treacherous but you need to be on your game, and oh man was there cat claw. The trail guide says 19ish miles, but it's a very long 19ish, allow more time than you'd think. I'd call it a good ride, very adventurous, definitely a worthwhile way to spend the morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reavis Canyon, Arizona Trail-dscn5835.jpg  

Reavis Canyon, Arizona Trail-dscn5836.jpg  

Reavis Canyon, Arizona Trail-dscn5838.jpg  

Reavis Canyon, Arizona Trail-dscn5839.jpg  

Reavis Canyon, Arizona Trail-dscn5844.jpg  

Last edited by Stumpy29er; 06-20-2011 at 05:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Great pic's ! all that greenery makes it "appear" it is a bit cooler up there ...would a 2wd make it up to that trailhead?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelina View Post
    Great pic's ! all that greenery makes it "appear" it is a bit cooler up there ...would a 2wd make it up to that trailhead?
    It was a bit cooler, temps weren't bad at all. I made the climb in a 2wd, 4 cylinder, 5 speed Tacoma, with slightly over sized street tires. You'll want something truckish, but clearance wasn't that big of a deal, it was the steepness of some of the climbs, a bit of aggressiveness should get you up there.

dirt visionary
    So it was so good you only got pics from up top
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    So it was so good you only got pics from up top
    There's a few others, but these were the nicest. We didn't stop much for breaks, we were both riding strong so kept on grinding away. Even though the trail profile shows pretty much downhill, it was far from all downhill.

dirt visionary
    Nice. Can't wait to check it out on my pedal bike .

No Clue Crew
    Nice. Looks and sounds fun. So SoMo Saturday was just a warm up for this, eh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    Nice. Can't wait to check it out on my pedal bike .
    If you go for the top, you have to go down FS650 for a ways to find the entrance to the Reavis Canyon trail. The cat claw is heavy up at the top, whole groves of it, no signs of any trail maintenance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Nice. Looks and sounds fun. So SoMo Saturday was just a warm up for this, eh?
    It's always fun when you can get out and check out a new trail, especially one that's a bit off the beaten path.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er View Post
    It's always fun when you can get out and check out a new trail, especially one that's a bit off the beaten path.
    Legs take a beating, or scratching, from the catclaw?

My other ride is your mom
    Awesome...thanks for the TR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Legs take a beating, or scratching, from the catclaw?
    Oh yeah, no pics, but if you look in my profile there are some leg pics from a cat claw ride that I did with Cenobite39 and trigirl out on the AZT, very similar "carnage". For the most part they are shallow scratches, they look worse than what they really are, but boy do they burn in the shower on the day of the ride. All in all, the cat claw only detracted from the ride just a little bit, I'd do it again.

mtbr member
    That looks/sounds like a good time! I am going to have to hook up a ride with you some time S29r! (**** I already forgot your first name I think!)
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    That looks/sounds like a good time! I am going to have to hook up a ride with you some time S29r! (**** I already forgot your first name I think!)
    Dave. No problem. The Picket Post section of AZT is awesome also, and definitely more SS friendly than the Reavis Canyon section. I'm busy with my wife until about July 5th, then I'll be more than ready for a ride.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You can get to the trailhead at the other end by canyon lake easily with a 2WD.. If you do this trail again make a point to check out the ruins at Angel Basin.. please be respectful, it is way too well preserved to mistreat.. The apple orchards at Reevis Ranch are a treat in the fall.

"No Clue Crew"
    You went all the way out there with 2BJ? Wow that's crazy!

Old man like that is likely to fall and break a hip and I doubt his "I've fallen and can't get up button" would work all the way out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atavar View Post
    You can get to the trailhead at the other end by canyon lake easily with a 2WD.. If you do this trail again make a point to check out the ruins at Angel Basin.. please be respectful, it is way too well preserved to mistreat.. The apple orchards at Reevis Ranch are a treat in the fall.
    Hiking into those ruins with my wife is on my list of things to do, when the heat drops off a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39 View Post
    You went all the way out there with 2BJ? Wow that's crazy!

Old man like that is likely to fall and break a hip and I doubt his "I've fallen and can't get up button" would work all the way out there.
    In all seriousness, we were a long time out of cell service, it'd be a long walk out or a long wait for help. We had a great ride though, no real wipeouts, just a couple tip overs, no mishaps, not even a flat tire.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Slime in your tires is your friend on that trail. GoatsHead thorns are rampant in that area.

wawe member
    The lakes are on the opposite side of the Sup Wilderness, the ruins, ranch and orchard are all within it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    The lakes are on the opposite side of the Sup Wilderness, the ruins, ranch and orchard are all within it.
    The Reevis trail runs from all the South end through the wilderness past Rogers Trough then Angel Basin then through Reavis ranch and exits at the north at the trailhead by Canyon lake.

dirt visionary
    and why would someone be riding out there?

wawe member
    The Reevis trail runs from all the South end through the wilderness past Rogers Trough then Angel Basin then through Reavis ranch and exits at the north at the trailhead by Canyon lake.
    Yup. I used to backpack out to the ranch every fall when I was a kid, so pretty familiar with the layout. The trail presented here is to the south of the Sup. Wilderness, so to access it from the Canyon lake side, one would need to get their bike through a huge swath of the wilderness area... see what I'm sayin?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I've hiked this route many times. The climb out of Rogers Canyon is more than I've ever concidered on a bike. Did you guys walk much of that on each end? That's a steep mother...

N/A
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AzTreky View Post
    I've hiked this route many times. The climb out of Rogers Canyon is more than I've ever concidered on a bike. Did you guys walk much of that on each end? That's a steep mother...
    Reavis Canyon Trail is not the Reavis Ranch trail. I apologize if you are actually referring to Reavis Canyon and not Reavis Ranch, but all of these comments about the apple orchard and the Falls and Canyon Lake feel like some Sierra Clubbers are trolling this website to see if MTB'ers openly admit to riding Wilderness (capital "W").

Reavis Canyon starts/ends on the southern Wilderness border and never enters the Wilderness. Riding it north to south is pretty much all rideable. (Although it sounds like the cat-claw hasn't been cut back in years.)

FWIW, I agree, if the Wilderness were open to bikes, I still wouldn't bike up from Roger's Trough. Although biking up the old ranch road from the Reavis TH on the north side of the Wilderness would be fun. That would probably be my first epic Wilderness ride if they ever open it up to bikes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast