mtbr member

A reasonable BCT expansion?

There have been a few threads over the last couple years by guys like me that live in the NW Valley. We have been experimenting riding through, either north or south from the EH trailhead or even around the AZGFD, into the north valley.

The reasonable route, to me, seems to be along a New River alignment. There is, for those that don't know a great concrete bike path along New River from north of Deer Valley south to Dunlap. It also connects with other bike paths along its way.

So, why not continuing the trail, either dirt or concrete, all the way to Carefree highway or even to the point where the BCT crosses New River? That's an ugly HAB place anyway.

Thoughts?

Steve
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

mtbr member
    pour down the concrete and let's go rollerblading on BCT !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    pour down the concrete and let's go rollerblading on BCT !
    Hi Bart,

Dang!! I almost edited out the concrete part. But the existing trail is concrete.

I know you're kidding but some may misunderstand my meaning, Looking into trail access, not concrete riding opportunities. I've ridden several times from BCC to my house, the last 6-8 miles really sucks, lots of detours around CAP and the Loop 303

Steve

mtbr member
    You can actually ride the Black Canyon Trail from Anthem all the way down to Deem's. You can cross the 303 without jumping any fences/barriers. However, I fear posting the route on here will cause the route to be closed. It does exist though.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I know that route. I don't think the powers that be care about the gap.

My thinking is, when you cross New River road at EH trailhead and ride to the SE, the first large wash you come to is New River. That alignment goes direct south, it could easily connect to a known and developed bike path that serves, Peoria, Glendale and Phoenix.

Steve

Just another half mile...
    Any extension of the BCT south Carefree hwy will need to be built by a local agency (ie City of Phoenix or developer) since the BLM's jurisdiction end at Carefree hwy. BLM owns a narrow strip of land for which the BCT is located in, basically from the bottom of the Boy Scout loop to Carefree Highway. The land outside this narrow corridor is mostly state land. As this state land is sold and developed, I bet there will be pathways tieing into the BCT. The BCT between New River Road and Carefree Highway will not be rerouted since it is a BLM trail on a narrow BLM corridor. Trails will be wecomed to tied into it just like the Maricopa trail will someday.

Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post
    Yeah, I know that route. I don't think the powers that be care about the gap.

My thinking is, when you cross New River road at EH trailhead and ride to the SE, the first large wash you come to is New River. That alignment goes direct south, it could easily connect to a known and developed bike path that serves, Peoria, Glendale and Phoenix.

Steve

Almost all the land that is not developed north of 303 and just south of 303 is State land. I won't worry about posting a route. Lots of ATV's use and abuse the area now.

Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    You can actually ride the Black Canyon Trail from Anthem all the way down to Deem's. You can cross the 303 without jumping any fences/barriers. However, I fear posting the route on here will cause the route to be closed. It does exist though.

mtbr member
    Well, folks, they have now closed the route across the 303. Padlocked the gate. I was trying to commute to work this morning along the route but had to sideline to an underpass and jump about 20 feet to get past the locked gate. I guess powers that be do care about the gap after all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A reasonable BCT expansion?-november-21-2.jpg  

A reasonable BCT expansion?-november-21-3.jpg  

A reasonable BCT expansion?-november-21-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    bunny hop that *****

mtbr member
    There is a transition from chain link to three row barbed wire about a half a mile to the west of that. I really wish there were a continuum of the trails southern terminus to the New River trail system.

A continuous ride from Mayer (or even further north) to a pretty good paved trail system all over the valley would be a strong step in making Phoenix more of a cycling town. I was in Glenwood Springs, Colorado this summer, I rode from Vail to Aspen all on a bike system. I spoke to a guy that told me you could ride to Denver on the same system. This is nothing more than a mindset that needs an awakening.

I guess it just make too much sense for a bureaucracy or municipality to connect something that exists to something else that exists.

mtbr member
    there are some options. raybum, dtown, and I did a ride from Orme Rd to BCT and down to EH back in February. I think Dtown posted pics from it at one point

mtbr member
    Yes, I do that route, it's near my home, which is my point. I could ride from Orme, to home, without climbing fences and all sorts of detours. If you ride south of EH towards AZGFD, the first big wash is New River. (I think) if the trail were to continue along that alignment, it would connect to another existing trail system.

mtbr member
    That won't stay locked for long. Some redneck with bolt cutters will be through that in an instant-or the next good flood may wash under that fence. In San Diego they put up signs on the freeway and let underpass gates remain "broken" so illegal visitors can move around more safely with out ending up as a hood ornament. Maybe if we start crossing the freeway and scare the holy hell out of some blue hairs making their way to Sun City from Cave Creek, the gov will do the same for us? I think the signs they could put up would be pretty cool. I channeled my inner Longhairmike for this one. Name:  Illegal.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  10.1 KB
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

The current Cityof Phoenix General Plans (Rio Verde & North Gateway) show open space areas that pathways can be incorporated to connect the BCT to the urban trail systems in the future. Newer developemnts have been pretty good about incorporating bike and pedestrian paths. Someday it will happen.

There is a transition from chain link to three row barbed wire about a half a mile to the west of that. I really wish there were a continuum of the trails southern terminus to the New River trail system.

A continuous ride from Mayer (or even further north) to a pretty good paved trail system all over the valley would be a strong step in making Phoenix more of a cycling town. I was in Glenwood Springs, Colorado this summer, I rode from Vail to Aspen all on a bike system. I spoke to a guy that told me you could ride to Denver on the same system. This is nothing more than a mindset that needs an awakening.

I guess it just make too much sense for a bureaucracy or municipality to connect something that exists to something else that exists.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, folks, they have now closed the route across the 303. Padlocked the gate. I was trying to commute to work this morning along the route but had to sideline to an underpass and jump about 20 feet to get past the locked gate. I guess powers that be do care about the gap after all.
    Sheriff Joe bringing some more FreedumŽ obviously, by stopping the constant stream of illegals running through the city like wild caribou.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    The current Cityof Phoenix General Plans (Rio Verde & North Gateway) show open space areas that pathways can be incorporated to connect the BCT to the urban trail systems in the future. Newer developemnts have been pretty good about incorporating bike and pedestrian paths. Someday it will happen.
    Looking at the North Gateway map, I guess I can see a corridor just to the west of the Ben Avery facility. That corridor is too narrow to have any value other than perhaps a right of way for a trail?
    Steve

You are correct. The BLM owns a narrow srtip of land from the Carefree highway north for the BCT. The BCT will always be there in its dirt form even when the surrounring area gets developed.

Looking at the North Gateway map, I guess I can see a corridor just to the west of the Ben Avery facility. That corridor is too narrow to have any value other than perhaps a right of way for a trail?
    Steve

mtbr member
    There is a transition from chain link to three row barbed wire about a half a mile to the west of that.
    Have you ridden this route recently? I drove route 303 yesterday and it appears that they have fenced the entire freeway now. I didn't see any breaks apart from locked fences. I wonder if we could get the county to open the gate. I think Jayem was joking, but, maybe people really were using this trail to move drugs or illegals through which is why they locked it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    but, maybe people really were using this trail to move drugs or illegals through which is why they locked it?
    LOL...only if their is a major drug/human smuggling ring moving folks from Deem Hills/Stetson Hills to the Game and Fish Department.

I used to ride/hike out there before the 303. Used to be an ATV and Moto haven.

They should designate a trail corridor (which I think they have plans for) and put a couple of horse gates under the bridges. They're probably waiting for development...attempt to get the home builders to pay for it. Luckily, some of that area is planned to be a part of the Phoenix Sonoran preserve (mainly around the hills, like Deem).

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    They should designate a smugging corridor (which I think they have plans for) and put a couple of horse gates under the bridges. They're probably waiting for development...attempt to get the home builders to pay for it. Luckily, some of that area is planned to be a part of the Phoenix Sonoran preserve (mainly around the hills, like Deem).
    Fixed with FreedumŽ.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.