Ahhh the pain....

Rear Tires for SS in AZ

I know there's been a ton of threads on tires on this forum as well as others...so just want to pass on my experiences. I have Geax Saguaro 2.2 on back inflated to 27psi (tubeless).Rode the last 3 days up in Flag all over Mt Elden. I was getting a bit frustrated when standing up that I had to consciously stand very tall to keep weight on my rear rear to eliminate slippage. Today, I rode BCT from Rock Springs down to the top of little pan... Entirely different story...felt like I was riding up a paved sidewalk after the river crossing with the way it hooked up. Any advice on a better tire for Flag (dry conditions) ? Aside from the stated issues with SB8's, are they a good rear tire for a SS ?
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum
    I know there's been a ton of threads on tires on this forum as well as others...so just want to pass on my experiences. I have Geax Saguaro 2.2 on back inflated to 27psi (tubeless).Rode the last 3 days up in Flag all over Mt Elden. I was getting a bit frustrated when standing up that I had to consciously stand very tall to keep weight on my rear rear to eliminate slippage. Today, I rode BCT from Rock Springs down to the top of little pan... Entirely different story...felt like I was riding up a paved sidewalk after the river crossing with the way it hooked up. Any advice on a better tire for Flag (dry conditions) ? Aside from the stated issues with SB8's, are they a good rear tire for a SS ?
    Now see... you are experiencing the exact opposite of what I am, assuming Flag trails are anything like Prescott? I just put a Geax Saguaro 2.2 on as my back tire, and I climbed everything on 305 (dry dirt) with ease, even staying seated on areas I'd previously had to stand and mash my way up.

But this morning I rode from the 128th TH up to the summit of Sunrise in the McDowells, and I could barely maintain traction when I stood, whether on the baby heads, or the smooth sandy stuff; very frustrating. Interesting, how we're going through the opposite experience, on similar terrain.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Ahhh the pain....
    I know Sunrise has it's share of decomposed granite over top of hardpan...similar to some areas in flag where I was having issues. I'll bet the continuous center ridge of the Geax causes this. I found myself steering towards slightly softer dirt and then the tread on each side of the center ridge had a chance to connect.

BTW, what gear were you grinding up Sunrise ? If you say anything taller than a 32x21, I'm going to start wearing a skirt ! lol....
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.

mtbr member
    R U KIDDING ME!!!!!!???????????!!!!!!!!!!?????????

29er, 26er, or 650cc?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Ahhh the pain....
    29er, 32x21...

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

Nano

This is my favorite rear tire for SS. You wouldn't think it would work all that great for traction while climbing but for some reason it does (for me at least).
    Can you hear me now?

mtbr member
    29er, 32x21...
    How much do you weigh?
    What blood type are you?
    What's your hair color?

Come on dude, the more info we can get, the better we can recommend a tire for you.

I've been partial to the Exiwolf 2.3 here in Phx. The low-profile tread would be fine for Flag as well. I run 32X18.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I did a six mile loop test last year with a Captain on front and rear and Captain on front and SB8 on rear. Way faster with the SB8 at least 3mins or more. I actually wore the tire out (fast) before having any sidewall tears. Raced at White Tanks with it on when tread was nearly shot and had some major slipage issues on some of the downs on the switchbacks. But when its new I think it grips well on PHX trails. Also was never able to get it up tubeless on Cro29max's. But had no flats running tube with stans in it and keeping at 35psi.

Currently running Fast Traks on the rear but will probably pick up an SB8 for the race season.

aka Diesel
    I know Sunrise has it's share of decomposed granite over top of hardpan...similar to some areas in flag where I was having issues. I'll bet the continuous center ridge of the Geax causes this. I found myself steering towards slightly softer dirt and then the tread on each side of the center ridge had a chance to connect.

BTW, what gear were you grinding up Sunrise ? If you say anything taller than a 32x21, I'm going to start wearing a skirt ! lol....
    *grin*

Get that skort/skirt out...

I run a 20.

As to tires, I'm going to cont to play w body positioning, before venturing into searching for a new tire. I hate giving in!!
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    body positioning....I hate giving in!!
    I still think it will help you a lot of you stand more upright when you climb.
    Last edited by brianc; 09-09-2010 at 11:07 AM.
    b

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    29er, 165 with gear, 32x18, 25-28 psi depending on trail. Usually 25ish.

It's not the tire, it's you. Try bar ends to give you more leverage on your back wheel and rock your bike more to get that side traction. The center strip connecting knobs on the Saguaro can be dremmeled as well to give more traction. Seen a few people with that on SS bikes lately. Saguaro 2.2 is a wonderful SS front/rear tire.

mtbr member
    Weirwolf 2.55 front and rear @ 24 psi. SS 29er . I've run these tires for 3+ years with no issues.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How about a Bontrager XDX 2.1 TLR.

mtbr member
    My last tire was the XDX tlr. Decent tire but it wore down to nothing quickly, it did seal up great though.
    My current tire is an Exiwolf which was lightyears better than the worn XDX. It's served me well on SOMO as well as my regular haunts of the Huachucas, Patagonia, and Bisbee.
    It's time for a new tire and I'm going back to Saguaro TNT, they last forever and are a good all-arounder for me. The price is right on 'em too.
    Nano is a good option tread-wise but the sidewalls are uninspiring and failed on me one too many times.
    I've been so impressed with my Rampage up front I'm also thinking about throwing one on the back. Anyone else tried this?

My other ride is your mom
    I have a few friends on SS who swear by the weirwolf, run in reverse as a rear tire.

meow
    Which way are you running the Saguaro? Flip it the other way if you're running it in the speed direction. I've been running one on the rear of my 29'er ss for about a year and it's been awesome.

mtbr member
    I am running the Saguaros as well on my Haro Mary. For a front tire they are great, but I have noticed that if you are climbing and need to get out of the saddle in a less than hardpacked area they tend to slip. I think it might be me as I tend to get over the bars too much, but its hard to break bad habits. Climbing rocks they grip great. Those two little drop in spots on Desert Classic between the route leading to Helipad and the makeshift rest area, are a natural test for good tires with a single speed. I have been using a 32x18 gear combo which seems to work for most of the XC type trails around here. Along with my extra wide Salsa Pro Moto flat bar seems like a good combo to grunt out some of the climbs.

On a side note, it is really too bad Haro decided to discontinue the Mary SS for 2011. Other than the EBB that occasionally decides to loosen up at an inconvenient time I love this bike.