mtbr member
    May 2011

Rear Tire Recommendations

I am looking for a rear tire that will be good in the Arizona desert conditions. I am currently running the Maxxis Ignitor in both the front and the hear. I have noticed that when climbing in does not have good hook up and I lose all momentum when going uphill because my tire just spins. Does any one have any suggestions for a good rear tire?

How much further ???
    I run a Maxxis Crossmark 2.25 LUST in the rear running at 28 psi. Ive had good luck with it. I will also say technique has a big part in spinning out. Are you hammering out of the saddle in a low gear?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have tried several and my favorite by far is Maxxis Larsen TT LUST UST 26x2.00. I get around 500 miles out of it. I also hear that Kenda Small Block Eight work well in AZ...but I have never tried one.

Ahhh the pain....
    Tons of posts on this here in the AZ forum. The search function is your friend!
    my faves for rear tire...(for SS)
    Geax Saguaro
    Michelin Wild Racer
    WTB Nano (just don't expect alot of life out of it, but rolls great and is light)
    lots of other good ones that I haven't tired yet.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Im running some out dated Bontrager Jones ACX tires...has some GREAT traction in my limited experience...

K3N
    Certified slacker
    I have Specialized purgatory tires, they're quite knobby. I think they have some awsome traction compared to the Maxxis aspen that was on before. But also tubless so I'm sure that has something to do with it also.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K3N View Post
    I have Specialized purgatory tires, they're quite knobby. I think they have some awsome traction compared to the Maxxis aspen that was on before. But also tubless so I'm sure that has something to do with it also.
    I'm also running a purgatory in the rear tubeless. Actually I'm experimenting running the purgatory in the front and rear. Both are 2.4's. So far they've actually been impressive, even in the front. Rear has mad traction running 30 psi.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Tons of posts on this here in the AZ forum. The search function is your friend!
    my faves for rear tire...(for SS)
    Geax Saguaro
    Michelin Wild Racer
    WTB Nano (just don't expect alot of life out of it, but rolls great and is light)
    lots of other good ones that I haven't tired yet.

Not a place a usually shop but nashbar has a tubeless version of these on sale for $30. I bought two today.

First post. I'm new up in this b!tch.

mtbr member
    Kenda Small Block 8. I also really like the new Maxxis IKON as a rear tire.

mtbr member
    You did not mention what part of AZ you ride in or what trail you are on. I mostly ride Natty at South Mtn and on that trail I can run bald as long as I keep my weight back over the rear end. I road out at Red Mtn and there was a couple of spot my weight back bald tire would not hook up.

So remember to get your butt over the rear and see if that solves the problem.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I mostly ride in the deems hill area and thunderbird park. When I climb I am on the saddle most of the times and occasionly will stand up to get through a technical section.

mtbr member
    I am riding these

http://bontrager.com/model/08039

Bontrager XR4 Kevlar bead. I have a 2.2 in the rear and a 2.35 in the front. Nice gripy tires for the AZ conditions.

You can pick them up at Trek west phoenix.

banned
    Jun 2011
    WTB Velociraptor! the best! FTW

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm running Kenda Small Block 8's and really like them. Also like the Continental Race Kings although the sidewall is a bit thin.

mtbr member
    CST Caballero wire bead: Cheap, hook up well (for me), run fine ghetto tubeless, strong sidewalls

Machacaman
    I am running my second set of Spec Purgatory's UST and they are sweet. The bead sets with a hand pump and they are bulletproof. Spec has a pretty good policy on their tires as well.
    MachacaMan

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Minion DHR if you are riding the more techy trails. High roller if you ride the smoother stuff.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

dirt visionary
    +1 for minion. the exo version comes to mind for all mountain type stuff.

IMO Highroller or the likes if your aggressive with the corning.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpogge5 View Post
    I am running my second set of Spec Purgatory's UST and they are sweet. The bead sets with a hand pump and they are bulletproof. Spec has a pretty good policy on their tires as well.
    After going through 3 different Spec tires on a few light rides (Jan-Feb) I had 2 sidewall tears (rear) and 1 that burped constantly (front). Due to the generous return policy I thought I "settled" for the Spec Purgatory Grid UST 2.4 front/back. Pain in the butt to get on the rim, once on, same here, bead set very easily. I was wondering how long they would last but so far they have been just fine. May just be me but my rear tire gets wore down really fast (not much of a skidder either) compared to my front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Britishnate View Post
    I am riding these

Bontrager XR4 Kevlar bead. I have a 2.2 in the rear and a 2.35 in the front. Nice gripy tires for the AZ conditions.

You can pick them up at Trek west phoenix.
    x2 on the XR4 in the back, but I use an FR3 up front and I'm pretty happy with it.