Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Real Whiskey Off-Road Distances and Tire Questions

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  RNC 
#1 ·
Couple of issues that I need some expert help on:

How long is the Whiskey 25? I have heard some say as long as 29.

How long is the Whiskey 50? Some people have said it is 47 miles.

My bike frame cracked a couple of days ago and I bought a new bike that is coming with some Kenda Small Block 8s (29er). It will be here one week before the race (I am doing the Whiskey 25). Will this tire hold up to the course or do I need to get some other, beefier tires? If so, what are some recommendations for some good all-around tires for a 29er?

Thanks for any info.

#4 ·
Thanks.
I hope I can ride until the end. If I don't pace myself right, my legs hit the wall and the only thing that ends is my pedaling (serious cramping issues). If I know I have 5 miles left, I can start cranking it up a little but if I start too early, it is likely I'll never finish the race.

#6 ·
I think you've got it RNC, my gps and software tell me that the 25 is actually 28.2, and that the 50 is 47. I pre-road the 25 last week and any tires you run in Phoenix will work fine in my opinion. It isn't as rough as what I ride down here, and there is some paved street sections and some fire roads.

#7 ·
Once you start heading down from the overlook it's ALL downhill except for a little climb back up 323 to the top of 392. This can be a big deal though this late in the race, so don't blow up on this, but otherwise it's all downhill pretty much from the overlook (at this point the race goes FAST). Don't be like the "I can still break 4hrs" guy a few years ago on the 50 that took a wrong turn past the cop (who was yelling at him to go the right way) at the end of the race.

Very hard packed? Not on Aspen Creek (48) and the "big" descent down 260. Not even close.

Other areas are hardpacked (because they are roads).

#8 ·
Jayem said:
Once you start heading down from the overlook it's ALL downhill except for a little climb back up 323 to the top of 392. This can be a big deal though this late in the race, so don't blow up on this, but otherwise it's all downhill pretty much from the overlook (at this point the race goes FAST). Don't be like the "I can still break 4hrs" guy a few years ago on the 50 that took a wrong turn past the cop (who was yelling at him to go the right way) at the end of the race.

Very hard packed? Not on Aspen Creek (48) and the "big" descent down 260. Not even close.

Other areas are hardpacked (because they are roads).
I said "for the most part." It's been a couple years since I did it, and I did the 50, so 25 of that was all fire road. I can think of one or two places I'd want knobbier tires, probably the ones you mention above. (I'm assuming the descent you're talking about is that section with all the baby heads? Sorry, I don't know trail numbers.) From what I recall, all the stuff around TB was pretty hard packed, and the stuff after the lookout was nothing compared to the trails down here in terms of loose-ness.

I was just commenting that I don't think one needs to go out and get a new pair of tires if you have a perfectly good pair of SB8s.

#9 ·
skinny-tire said:
I said "for the most part." It's been a couple years since I did it, and I did the 50, so 25 of that was all fire road. I can think of one or two places I'd want knobbier tires, probably the ones you mention above. (I'm assuming the descent you're talking about is that section with all the baby heads? Sorry, I don't know trail numbers.) From what I recall, all the stuff around TB was pretty hard packed, and the stuff after the lookout was nothing compared to the trails down here in terms of loose-ness.

I was just commenting that I don't think one needs to go out and get a new pair of tires if you have a perfectly good pair of SB8s.
I agree. The amount of fire road and these trails warrant a fast rolling tire like the SB8's, Bontrager RX1, WTB Nano or something similar. Last year's 50 mile winner, Andy Schultz, ran SB8's front and rear.

#10 ·
skinny-tire said:

That only holds up for the 50 though, which is more than 2x as much on hardpacked road(the extra 25 is all graded road).

#11 ·
Jayem said:
That only holds up for the 50 though, which is more than 2x as much on hardpacked road(the extra 25 is all graded road).
I realize that. But again, I don't recall very much really gnarly, chewed up trail that would warrant heavy-duty tires.

Outside of the road to Skull Valley, the course is the same as the 25, right?

#12 ·
I would stay away from superlight casing tires, the descent down trail 260 is fast and rocky in parts, particularly if you need to pass and get off the line. We had a few sidewall cuts on a preride, including a 1/2" cut I put in my rear Nano. I would still go with a low profile tire, but would consider going with a tougher UST or sidewall reinforced tire on the rear. I am not racing as headed to on a road trip, but if I was racing it I would run my Maxxis Ikon with the Exo sidewall protection.

#13 ·
Jayem said:
Don't be like the "I can still break 4hrs" guy a few years ago on the 50 that took a wrong turn past the cop (who was yelling at him to go the right way) at the end of the race.
I will be shooting for a little faster than four hours ... but in the 25er.

I have seen some video from that long downhill and it seems like you can carry some good speed. It seems like all the deadfalls might make it a little narrow at times but it looked fast. (I have a small phobia of deadfall after a race-ending OTB at the TOWM a couple years ago. Trees are very unforgiving).

What is the last climb like up to the lookout? On the topo, it looks quite a bit steeper than the first several miles. For anybody that did the Barn Burner, is it similar to the last big hill on that loop (as far as grade, etc.)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.