Thread: Real UST tires?

No Clue Crew

Real UST tires?

Just mounted my first set of real UST tires to my ghetto Outlaw wheels, Kenda two-ply Nevegals.

Most of my past tires have been non-UST but two-ply so fairly thick and heavy. I noticed after the first air up that these UST tires seem to have less squish in them at similar tire pressures compared to the dual-ply non-UST tires. I normally air up to 27 to 28 pounds and anything lower gives me dents.

I dropped these UST tires to 23# in order to get a similar amount of squish.

Is this a normal phenomenon? I know we like to run tubeless to get lower pressures but would have never thought there'd be that big a difference between UST and non-UST rubber.

Pivotal figure
    I've found that the true tubeless tires have a type of extra lining to keep the sealant from leeching thru the casing and that lining gives the tires some extra rigidity.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

No Clue Crew
    I thought that's what the extra TPIs were for. Most UST tires I've seen are in the 100 TPI range and normal tires seem to be in the 50s. Of course, I have no idea what a T, P, or I is...

jddist
    May 2008
    I notice the same thing. The Nevegal DTC UST rides like is has 10more psi in it than say a specialized butcher SX which I recently tried on the rear. I have been riding the Nevegal DTC UST on a Ghetto setup for past 2 years on south ( up and down National ) and they have been almost bomb proof. I went with UST to get the thicker sidewall without having to go to a 2-ply heavy DH tire. All the single ply stuff I have tried just couldn't stand up to National. The UST sidewall/casing really adds a noticeable amount of rigidity to the tire, at least the nevegal does. Just got a set of the Nevegal SCT to try but have not yet put them on, however they feel about the same as the UST.

Huffy Rider
    I have found this to be true with the tires I have used. 22-24# for UST, 27-29# for non. I now only run UST's, I have given up on the lighter tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    TPI = Threads per inch

Ow!
    Yep, I find I use a little less pressure with UST as compared to even tubeless ready. UST is built to hold air without sealant, so that kind of makes sense. But it still varies from tire to tire, and between manufacturers. Geax makes some fairly sturdy TNT tires (including the Sturdy), but those Schwalbe HD tubeless ready are pretty darn thin, even the snakeskin.

EDR
    Been using UST since '05 and have found the most all UST tires have a stiffer sidewall than their same make/model tubed counterpart. It's one of the reasons (other than being tubeless) that I like them....I get a beefier sidewall without resorting to full dual ply.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet View Post
    I notice the same thing. The Nevegal DTC UST rides like is has 10more psi in it than say a specialized butcher SX which I recently tried on the rear. I have been riding the Nevegal DTC UST on a Ghetto setup for past 2 years on south ( up and down National ) and they have been almost bomb proof. I went with UST to get the thicker sidewall without having to go to a 2-ply heavy DH tire.
    That's the exact tire I got from Jenson. I saw the weight of the 2.35 as just over 1000 grams so figured it had to be relatively thick and tough. Glad to see it'll stand up to SoMo. Hopefully, I'll try it out on National this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Been using UST since '05 and have found the most all UST tires have a stiffer sidewall than their same make/model tubed counterpart. It's one of the reasons (other than being tubeless) that I like them....I get a beefier sidewall without resorting to full dual ply.
    I'd prefer the dual-ply. I kinda thought these Nevegals were because of the weight. The UST DHFs I just got from Price Point are dual-ply. So far I'm sold on UST. If I only had UST rims...

EDR

Re: Real UST tires?

Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post

I'd prefer the dual-ply. I kinda thought these Nevegals were because of the weight. The UST DHFs I just got from Price Point are dual-ply. So far I'm sold on UST. If I only had UST rims...
    I hear ya. But it is nice when you find a tire that will stand up to South Mountain that is not a dual ply tire. It's nice to save a couple hundred grams. My ust tires typically weigh between 800 and 950 grams.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    I hear ya. But it is nice when you find a tire that will stand up to South Mountain that is not a dual ply tire. It's nice to save a couple hundred grams. My ust tires typically weigh between 800 and 950 grams.
    Definitely! I don't care about weight but if a tire will take National that's all I need to know. The last tire I had was an 815gr Chunky Monkey and during five rides I had two complete failures (sidewall slit and puncture) and one puncture that took 30+ seconds to seal. If these Nevegals hold up and I like their handling it'll be a nice alternative to a DHF which is heavier and more expensive.